PDA

View Full Version : Question about MJER and MSR

m a s a m u n e
9th November 2001, 16:53
I am very interested in Iaido to go along with my Kendo training, since Kendo is a controlled art, based on fighting indoors on hardwood surfaces and hitting only certain areas. I was doing some research and found that Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu is available in my area, but my current Kendo Dojo also teaches Muso Shinden Ryu (after learning Setei Iai, i think). I found that on some sites, they state that MJER and MSR is practically the same thing, at least when it comes to technical issues (waza/kata/etc.) However, on other sites, people state the contrary. I know that MSR is derived from MJER (correct me if I'm wrong), and that both are modified from an older ryu, but can someone please explain to me what the major differences and similarities are between the 2

Oh and while I'm at it, I was wondering if this is the right time to start Iaido, or if it's a little too early, and I should just concentrate on Kendo right now. (I've been in Kendo for about a year now)

Thanks in advance

- Alexander Guillermo

hyaku
9th November 2001, 23:57
This is a quote from one of Japan's most respected teachers. He speaks of Oe Masamichi who was the headmaster of Shinden then left it leaderless to become the head of Jikiden.

(Don't ask me why and don't flame me you Shinden guys. I didnt ask him to leave!)

DIFFERENTIATION BETWEEN JIKIDEN AND SHIMOMURA HA (Shinden)

a) The Shimomura Ha has more hand and finger techniques compared to Tanimura Ha.

b) This style permits more body twisting movements than Jikiden.

c) The twisting of the body and the timing of Noto + footwork activity is more assiduous than Jikiden and is very technical.

Because of these reasons the method of Oh-e Sensei, Face to Face became more popular with students who had originally started with Kendo. The fundamental standing posture in Kendo (Chudan no Kamae) is to keep the head and shoulders square on. (Not to be confused with modern day Kendo with the body and both feet facing forward).

I believe that the basic methods of Oh-e Sensei were based on this.

(Iwata Norikazu)

More can be found here.

http://www.bunbun.ne.jp/~sword

Regards Hyakutake Colin