PDA

View Full Version : Shushi no Kon

Ken Allgeier
6th December 2001, 07:50
I remember that their was a question about the meaning of " Shushi no Kon ".I asked Mr Grabow and he told me that " Shushi no Kon " is named after a village in east-central Okinawa.

ken allgeier

Rob Alvelais
9th December 2001, 18:29
Originally posted by Ken Allgeier
I remember that their was a question about the meaning of " Shushi no Kon ".I asked Mr Grabow and he told me that " Shushi no Kon " is named after a village in east-central Okinawa.
ken allgeier

Thank you Ken. That was my question.

Rob

Ken Allgeier
17th January 2002, 20:50
Rob,

I remember you told me about a book on Shito Ryu Karate kata , that was published in Australia. I wondering if you still have that information?

P.S Does anyone know when E-Budo will be fixed, so it is possible to read the older threads?

ken allgeier

Rob Alvelais
23rd January 2002, 18:30
Originally posted by Ken Allgeier
Rob,

I remember you told me about a book on Shito Ryu Karate kata , that was published in Australia. I wondering if you still have that information?

ken allgeier

ken,

I seem to recall sending that info to you. If I am mistaken, please let me know and I'll get it off to you right away.

Rob

Ken Allgeier
30th January 2002, 15:42
Hello Rob,

I found the original thread at :

http://www.e-budo.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7265

the problem is that the URL it not working.

Thank You,

ken allgeier

Rob Alvelais
30th January 2002, 20:36
Try http://www.leselliott.com.au/ click on "shop" the book and ordering info will be there

Rob

Sanseru
16th February 2002, 08:24
FYI, according to Nakamoto Masahiro (Bunbukan), Shushi no kon (and Choun no kon) were developed by Soeshi sensei (1752-1825) of Shuri from his studies of Soeishi no kon.

Mario McKenna
Nagasaki, Japan

Rob Alvelais
16th February 2002, 13:46
Mariooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Thank you,
Rob

Doug Daulton
16th February 2002, 23:04
Good to see you back on the boards!

Regards,

Ken Allgeier
17th February 2002, 01:58
Mario,

Shushi no Kon was created/devloped by Sanda Chinen, his three Bojutsu kata are.

Shushi no Kon

Shirotaru no kon

Yonekawa no Kon

Ryotaro Sueishi created Choun no Kon.

If anyone is interested in learning the history of Ryukyu Kobujutsu, I suggest you contact Mr Grabow at www.okiadventures.com. .I was just talking to him and the information/knowledge he has is just too overwhelming for any one person to digest .

ken allgeier

Sanseru
17th February 2002, 07:03
Dear Mr. Allgeier:

As I stated in my previous post. The information was according to Nakamoto Masahiro sensei (a direct student of Taira Shinken sensei) of the Bunbukan. He has published several excellent books on the history and technique of Ryukyu Kobudo including Okinawa Dento Kobudo. In this text on pg. 95 & 172, he discusses Shushi no kon dai / sho.

Soeishi sensei was the archietect of the bo kata which bears his name, Soeishi no kon, and it is quite possible that Soeishi was the orginator of Shushi no kon as it possesses many similarities to Soeishi no kon.

Whether Chinen Shichiyanaka developed Shushi no kon is unclear. They could very well have been developed by Soeishi, Chinen or Soeishi's oldest son Ryoushu / Yoshiaki (1787-1867) who was active in his father's dojo at the same time as Chinen.

I would encourage anyone interested in Ryukyu Kobudo to investigate primary Japanese lanague sources and the authors who wrote them if possible.

Respectfully,

Mario McKenna
Nagasaki, Japan

P.S. Nice to be back Doug, sorry for the delay...

Sanseru
17th February 2002, 07:12
Dear Mr. Allgeier:

I forgot to add that Taira Shinken sensei accredits Choun no kon to Soeishi sensei in is 1966 publication "Ryukyu Kobudo Taikan" (pp. 38).

Sincerely,

Mario McKenna
Nagasaki, Japan

Shikiyanaka
6th June 2005, 21:08
Hi,

I found this old thread and wanted to add, that the Bugei Ryuha Daijiten supports the Soeishi theory:

The 1978 edition, on p. 911, in its reference chapter on Ryukyu Kobudo, Part A (Bojutsu, Kunjutsu), says that Shūshi no Kun was founded by Soeishi.
It is quite interesting that some lineages put Soeishi as a student of Chinen Aburaya, who - according to the linages - was nearly 50 years younger than Soeishi. I think even the "Wonder of Okinawa" Karate Kobujutsu Website in its lineage does so. :rolleyes:

The name Shû-uji 周氏 means Shû 周 family(name) 氏, i.e. either it points to a family named Shû or it means denotes that Shû was a guys names. Shû is Japanese pronunciation, but it possibly is of a Chinese origin since it is a common name. In Chinese it would be Zhôu.

(As has been stated before, the BRD also dates Chōun no Kun back to Soeishi, and of course also Soeishi no Kun.)

So there is the BRD, Nakamoto Masahiro. Ryukyu Kobudo Jôkan from Inoue Motokatsu mentions the same, writing on Soeishi:

"[He was a/the] Daimyō of Shuri. [and a] great master of Bōjutsu. Chōun, Shūshi, and Soeishi no Kun are his product."

Best regards