PDA

View Full Version : Acient Exercises

Janin
9th December 2001, 04:25
Do you guys know of any exercises that warriors used to do to get stronger and faster?

kusanku
9th December 2001, 09:43
Yes. One was to stand in a horse stance for a period of time, beginning with a few minutes and progressing to longer, each time.

Another was to hold the arms as if holding a tree while doing this, sounds strange but does work.

Another was to use a rope as a tool and pull it from side to side, with both arms, up to down and back, and upo and down with one foot in the hook of the rope and one arm pulling, resisting all the while.

Also, they would hold the arms and legs in finishing position for a punch, strike, block or kick, and resist against it with other arm, or leg againsty a tree or wall.

Also they walked, ran, (not jogged), climbed trees, hills, mountains, and pushed boulders up hills while coordinating their breath with this.

They also did deep breathhing excercises, which were integrated with kata or other mvoements, and stretched, and did rotational excercises for all limbs of the body.

They got plenty of rest, ate nutritious food, and trained sensibly for their time, and for their age and characteristics.

Also they used weights, and carried vases filled with sand with their fingers, and a whole lot of other things.

They would also train with heavy weapons to strengthen threir movements.

When they wanted a certain type of strength, say for jumping, they practiced digging a hole a few inches deepl, jumping out of it with a sandbag on their back, and digging it deeper when they could do it easily, up to a few feet deep.

If they wanted to swep someone, they would practice holding an isometric sweep against a small tree. When they could break the tree with the sweep, it was good enough.

If they wanted to twist a joint, they twisted bamboo, one hand twisting one way, the other against it, or with two people twisting two rods that way.

This theory of training is called kung fu, or skill acqwuired over time through training, literally means, disciplined or trained or skilled man.

The main thing is to start gradually, and not overdo and thus injure yourself. Given a good small start, and consitent practice with common sense, it can work quite well.

Regards,

Rob Alvelais
9th December 2001, 19:00
Originally posted by Janin
Do you guys know of any exercises that warriors used to do to get stronger and faster?

With all due respect to John and his love for things Oriental, old and mystic, why not take advantage of modern scientific advances in the field of sports medicine?

This article, while about sprinting, contains principles that are pertinent to developing speed in any athletic endeavor, including the martial arts.

http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/speed.htm

Rob

kusanku
10th December 2001, 11:15
Actually, I also respect greatly the modern sportsmed approach and Olympic training and conditioning methods, but the question asked was specifically about how ancient warriors trained.With all due respect back to Rob, who is a friend of mine.:-)

Reason I came back to this thread in fact, was to answer the second half of the original question, which was, how did they train for sped?Like my first answer for strength, this is not an inclusive answer, merely an idea of how this was done, as I understand it.

Basically, speed training had two parts: First, one practiced the form of ones techniques, slowly, with precision, in a relaxed manner, many times over and over.Kata for instance can be done this way, as for instance in Taiji Quan at beginner level.

This hardwires the movements so that, twqo, when you begin to practice them quickly, they are done with good form.

The second part of speed traing of Yore, as I understand it, also has two parts.

First, one does prearranged drills with a partner, slowly and then faster, til you go at top speed. This can include prearranged sparring or two person kata.

Secondly, one puts oneself in a situation, with equipment, mechanical or natural where one Must move fast, or get hit.This can be dangerous and I do not recommend it.

Or you can take the modern approach, as Paul Vunak was reported to say, when asked how to become faster,'Think you're faster.'Or maybe that is ancient, too.Our ancestors were not all fools.:-)And mankind has fought for millions of years, initially against animals and for several thousand years at least, against one another.

Hopefully someday we will stop that, but there is a large body of knowledge based on experience, trial and error, and structured training, from many many years ago, and we should take care not to throw out the Baby with the Bathwater, especially in light of what I have actually seen some of those old Taiji people do in the way of fast.

Ninety-some year old Ma Yueh-Liang of Wu Chyan Quan Taiji, for instance, could move like lightning when he wanted to, as could Professor, Zheng,Manqing.Both had knife hand strikes for instance, almost too quick to follow with the naked eye.

So, for strength training, and for speed training , ancient methods should indeed be researched and studied if not put into practice, and modern ones as well.Coimpare and try both, and see which are better for what. I guarantee you that modern methods are effective,some extremely so, and also that some ancient methods have yet to be improved upon.

As to which are which, experience is a better teacher here, than argument.

Regards and good luck, look into Taiji by the way, great for leg strength as well.