PDA

View Full Version : EngRish Anyone????

Hank Irwin
13th December 2001, 04:40
That was great!! My favorite pie! Hahahahahaha!!!

Kimpatsu
13th December 2001, 06:20
Hey, Hank,
It says the pie's handmade, too. The mind boggles... :D

Jeff Hamacher
13th December 2001, 07:05
on the one hand, i feel like screaming at these copy writers to give me a job as a proofreader. on the other hand, i know what a wonderful source of humour we'd lose if ever anglophones actually got those jobs. thanks for the tip, Robert!

Kimpatsu
13th December 2001, 08:16
Robert Rousselot wrote:

after you have corrected all the gobbldyguck they "re-edit" it back into screwed up "Janglish".
Ain't that the truth. I find that Japanese in the translation industry especially are very proud of their English, and so they're convinced they can do the translation, editing proofreading, or whatever, themselves. It does lead to some very funny English, though.

kusanku
13th December 2001, 08:47
Then there is that favorite Japanese health drink, or soda, called Calpis, that is supposed to sound American. Unfortunately, it does.Pronounced Cow-Piss.

Oh, yeah, I want some of that, don't you? I only hope it isn't yellow.:D

But there was the American Karate Club that made up a Japanese name, Tegeri Waza.

Hand Diarrhea Technique. The mind shudders to contemplate that one, too.As one Japanese karateka asked them at a shiai, 'My God, what are you guys teaching?"

Of course that would be devastating alright.Maybe its what happens after one imbibes a healthy slug of Calpis.:-)
Guess this stuff goes both ways.Pun intended.:D

hikari
13th December 2001, 16:28
Well, Pocari Sweat doesn't sound too good, either: "Pocari Sweat... A Drink With Properties Similar To Your Body's Own Fluids" (http://www.otsuka.co.jp/pocari_e/pocari1.htm)

That's a drink I DON'T want to try, thankyou ^___^

OTOH, I'm a girl addicted to stationery... most of my pencases are really surrealistic because of these cultural mistranslations.

Ben Bartlett
13th December 2001, 17:17
Actually, both Pocari Sweat and Calpis taste pretty good, but yeah, they do have pretty unfortunate names. That, along with signs that carry such helpful notices as "The train is located in your rear," are just some of the things that make Japan such an entertaining place to visit. :D Of course, the people living there get to make fun of my Japanese, so it works out for everybody. ;)

Kimpatsu
13th December 2001, 22:22
I think Robert's last post belongs in Bad Budo.

Robert Krone
15th December 2001, 22:34
Originally posted by Ben Bartlett
Actually, both Pocari Sweat and Calpis taste pretty good, but yeah, they do have pretty unfortunate names. That, along with signs that carry such helpful notices as "The train is located in your rear," are just some of the things that make Japan such an entertaining place to visit. :D Of course, the people living there get to make fun of my Japanese, so it works out for everybody. ;)

Yeah I like Pocari Sweat too. However, I never thought twice about the name. Yet, I did raise an eyebrow to the mixed Dew-Dew candy!! :eek:

Time to shut-up and pass the Calpis!! :beer: