PDA

View Full Version : Techniques I have never heard of before

Mattias Ess
12th December 2001, 23:54
Hello everybody. Over hear in cold and dark Sweden we have recently gotten new guidelines of what techniques are required for which belt along with some Japanese glossories and, well you know that story.

Anyway, I recognize most of the names as techniques I have practised or slight variation of them. But a couple of them left me absolutely clueless. Here goes.

Osaekomi wasa:
UKI GATAME

Kansetsu waza:
ASHI GATAME

Tachi waza:
KEN KEN UCHIMATA
NIDAN KO SOTO GARI
NIDAN KO SOTO GAKE

I have played with the thought that Ashi Gatame is a misspelled Ashi Garami but that is a lock aimed at the knee and that is illegal so it wouldnīt make sense (especially since the Swedish way o looking at Judo is as a sport for competition and nothing more, period). A pity really.

Would apprecciate if some of you could shed some light on this for me.

Mattias Ess
13th December 2001, 00:36
Ignore the Ashi-Gatame. It is most likely Ude-Hishigi-Ashi-Gatame written by someone who is slightly incompetent. But donīt be sad... I found two more!

Kansetsu waza:
KESA GARAMI
KANNUKI GATAME

'renso
13th December 2001, 03:30
While we wait for some REAL expert answering...to my understanding, ken ken uchimata is when you place the leg on uke's thigh for uchi mata, control him with the leg and hands, and hop in to complete the technique... also happens with throws like o uchi gari or o soto gari.
Nidan ko soto gari i think is sweeping both feet and not just the outside one... same for gake. you know, when you get that really nice THUD :)

jimmy o'curry
13th December 2001, 05:07
while y'all wait to hear from the true wise-men of the forum, I'll mention that uki-gatame has two general forms that I know of:

1) the classical knee-on-stomach position, still much-used in brazilian jujutsu

2) the modern competitive version, done from the juji-gatame position

kannuki-gatame is an arm-wrap; with uke's wrist/lower forearm trapped in your "mirror-side" armpit, wrap his arm with yours from above/outside; as your arm completes the wrap, your hand & wrist will come under & inside;

does that make sense? say a guy bear-hugs you, but leaves your arms free; your free left arm can completely wrap/ wind-around his right arm for a painful straight-arm lock . . .

For technique pictures, look at :

http://www.judoinfo.com

Jeff Slade

PS: I hope this helped.

tommysella
13th December 2001, 07:50
Hi Mattias!

I wouldn't say that using only Ashi-gatame instead of it's full name is incompetent. Many books that I have seen use the short name instread. Vital Judo by Okano use (if I'm remember correctly) only Ashi-gatame. And I wouldn't say that Okano is incompetent... :o)

Regarding the Kesa-garami, I belive it's just an Ude-garami when you are in the Kesa-gatame position. I think you use your leg for this one. I will check this one...

Regards,
Tommy (also from the cold and dark Sweden :-) )

MarkF
13th December 2001, 11:13
Originally posted by Mattias Ess
-=Normal people worry me=-

:toast:

Mark

dakotajudo
18th December 2001, 01:34
Well, since none of the REAL experts seem to be making an appearance, I'll add my two cents.

NIDAN KO SOTO GARI and NIDAN KO SOTO GAKE are variations of KO SOTO GARI/GAKE where tori reaps the far leg, not the near leg, effectively reaping both legs at once (which I assume is the NI part).