PDA

View Full Version : Soba ideas, best cookbook?

J. A. Crippen
14th December 2001, 08:20
Two questions. I've been getting tired of the few things I know how to do with soba, that is make zarusoba or hot soba, using tsuyu (from a bottle, I don't have a recipe to make my own). I need some new ideas. I absolutely *love* soba noodles, they're my absolute favorite noodle, but zarusoba is getting dull. Are there any other interesting dishes that I can make with soba noodles?

Second question is what's the best Japanese cookbook that people can recommend? I'm particularly interested in good-old-fashioned home cooking, stuff that can be done inexpensively... No fugu, or the like.

red_fists
14th December 2001, 08:26
Hi James.

Have you tried "Oden Soba" or "Curry Soba"??

Next time you are in Tokyo, give me a shout and I take you down to Mon-naka (Monzennakachou) for some delicious Oden Soba.

burp
20th December 2001, 23:08
Ahhhh ... soba, my favorite!

An interesting cookbook you could try can be found at http://shop.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=400JIISKW8&mscssid=&sourceid=00000039983778384385&bfdate=12%2D20%2D2001+17%3A07%3A19&isbn=4770019564 . This has quite a few common varients of soba that are delicious!

Where my wife is from they love sanzai soba. I love it too. You may be able to find fresh warabi (bracken fern) in the wilds near you home. It grows locally in the mountains here. It can be picked in the spring before it "opens" up.

As a side note, I was having stomach problems years ago (Dr. thought it was a small ulcer, though nothing showed up on the xrays) and one of the few things I could eat was zaru soba.

Enjoy!

mikehansen

Neil Yamamoto
20th December 2001, 23:34
I just did a google search using "soba recipes" and came up with stuff I haven't seen before on line. Lots of good recipes, but also some stuff that read and sounded very unappetizing to me.

I would list some, but I have to go present shopping, so I'll let you guys do it on your own.

Ginzu Girl
28th December 2001, 22:12
Hi James,
I've found that you can substitute soba buckwheat noodles for just about any recipe that uses udon or ramen wheat noodles. Try soba in hot miso soup with some tofu and green veges. . .mmm, mmm, good!

I can't say I've seen a definitive homestyle cookbook. I think Neil had a good idea. I'll bet there are plenty of Japanese Americans (nikkei) sharing recipes and memories online.

I don't know how hard you want to look, but here's a longshot for you. Next time you're in a used bookstore, look for one of those "charity" or "community" cookbooks published as a fund raising project. I bought one many years ago from a California Bay Area chapter of the JACL (Japanese American Citizens League). I don't think you'll find this kind of self-published book at a Barnes & Noble.

If you want the ultimate homestyle experience, why not try making Japanese pickles? I have seen recipes for these in books and online. Try your hand at making some "sushi" ginger. Or if you're feeling especially adventurous, rice-bran pickles. Discover for yourself why the word "tsuke mono" brings a smile to the face of issei, nisei, and even some sansei (like yours truly!).

:toast: Itadaki masu!

P.S.--Soba tsuyu is incredibly easy to make--let's see, . . .some soy sauce, dried fish, rice wine, sugar (or mirin), and water. If you can get the bottled stuff, I'll bet you can get the raw ingredients as well.

P.P.S--Oh, and kelp (konbu). How could I have forgotten?!

Joseph Svinth
30th December 2001, 04:19
There is also Okinawan soba. For a sample recipe, see http://www.hawaiiokinawa.com/recipes/page6.html . (If the direct link doesn't work, then try the base URL, http://www.hawaiiokinawa.com/ .)