PDA

View Full Version : Judo Grading Req's

Paul Steadman
17th December 2001, 09:27
Hi Everyone,

Can anyone direct me to any web resources listing judo grading requirements? Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Paul Steadman

MarkF
18th December 2001, 11:07
Hi, Paul,
Gradings are so non-specific in judo that it would probably be better to check into the different county's national organizations and put it together mathematically.

Check with the USJF, USJA, and USJI (USA Judo Inc.). Most likely they will tell you to check with the individuals.

The British Judo Association is a good one to check as they have absolutes everyone in the Association must have for grading. All include shiai participation, the USJA, I believe, has a national standard which is relatively liberal. The USJF will have the most conservative while the USJI is the umbrella organization over the other two and is the National governing body for judo which deals with the IJF.

I don't give tests for promotion but I tend to err on the side of caution rather than to hope one lives up to a given grade. Many others do the same, but many have some kind of test usually beginning with sankyu and up. I award belt colors to younger students but all who are not at least sankyu are considered to have no grade until then. That's just me.

Any other teachers or students out there who would like to state the requirements in their dojo?

Mark

efb8th
18th December 2001, 15:43
Hi, Paul.

This link should help you get in touch with an organization local to you.

http://www.ausport.gov.au/judo/index.html

Good luck!

Regards,