PDA

View Full Version : Are you prepared to die?

joe yang
27th December 2001, 23:46
The "can you kill poll" is still up and drawing comment. I'd like to repost my poll "are you prepared to die" got lost, with a clarification. I'm not talking about facing the inevitable death that awaits us all. I'm not talking about making wills, saying good bye or paying debts. The question is, are you prepared to die in a fight? Would you lay down your life? KInd of the flip side of can you kill?

J. A. Crippen
28th December 2001, 00:16
Maybe someday I will have trained enough to where I can face death in combat. I put no trust in my abilities yet, however, and suspect that it may be a long time before I do.

Steven Smiths
28th December 2001, 03:32
Enough said.

Ginzu Girl
28th December 2001, 20:07
Hi Joe,
It's good you've referenced the other poll. I couldn't consider one without also considering the other. I can only hope that if that awful moment comes, I have truly done my preparation.

Be interesting to see what sort of response you get here. The other one drew some strong and lively opinions.

Peace and love to all in the New Year. Omedetoo de gozaimasu!:smilejapa

MarkF
4th January 2002, 06:20
The "can you kill" thread just isn't in the cards for me yet. I've not faced it. The act of dying, though, no matter how it happens, changes with age, or facing death does and so does one's belief in what awaits.

At middle age (around fifty) just how many do you know who are 100?

Prepared? I can't wait.:burnup:

Mark

popupsoldier
4th January 2002, 08:17
Spiritually prepared, unwavering heart ? Not yet.

Prepared to die ? Not yet.

Sgathak
9th January 2002, 10:08
prepared to die?

Not really... could I die "right now" and be "ok" with it? Yeah, but Im not exactly excited about the idea. I admit Im afraid of death, but not because Im dying but rather because I just dont know whats on the other side. I beleive in life after death in one form or another, but how it manifests???? not sure and not exactly eager to find out.

Also, Im not so much worried about the "whens" but more the "hows" of it all... No matter how you look at it, dying sucks.

Die of cancer and you die slow and painful
Die in a car accident and before you die you feel your body turn to broken mush.
Die from drowning and your body knows no other kind of physical fear.
Die in a fire and your body knows no other kind of pain.
Die slow and you watch your friends and love ones anquish over you
Die quick and you never get to say goodbye.

but hey at least the scenery changes.

J Robbins

joe yang
15th January 2002, 20:38
Again, I'm not refering to how well any of us are prepared to face that inevitable death that awaits us all. I am talking about risking your life for victory. Would you go to the extreme of sacrificing yourself for something, or someone? Or do you feel winning means walking away?

Rikimaru
16th January 2002, 14:14
In case I'd have to defend my family: yes - without any hesitation.

In case of a "barfight" after arguing about "why I looked in a strange way": no!

Means - I thought of this kind of question - especially after Sep. 11th and I think (who really knows??? ) I'm prepared...

The Tengu
21st January 2002, 16:30
I never knew the answer to either question (could I kill; would I die) until I got married and had a son.

joe yang
12th February 2002, 20:35
Well said Tengu.

12th February 2002, 20:39
Originally posted by joe yang
The question is, are you prepared to die in a fight? Would you lay down your life? KInd of the flip side of can you kill?

If I can not fight/stand for what I believe in, who am I? Nothing!
I'm prepared to kill and die for what I believe is right/family/love... But it would still be the last alternative. :)

:saw:
Jyri
Bujinkan Buyu

Soulend
13th February 2002, 04:41
With no desire to try and sound 'macho' or some such nonsense, I would have to say "certainly", because I honestly don't fear death that much. This isn't really borne of any sort of bravery, but of the realization that death is a natural certainty that will come to every living creature on earth, and one which we have very limited control over. It can come at any time, and it will come, so fearing it strikes me as a bit illogical, like being afraid of falling asleep or being afraid of the sun setting. There are worse things than dying, a completely natural act.

The originator of the thread specified dying for victory as opposed to eventually dying, but to me these two concepts are intertwined. By understanding that we can neither control nor determine the type or time of our certain, 'eventual' death, we can be freed of our fear of death by putting our life on the line for a person, entity, or cause. As an example, let's say that a fellow's fear of death causes him to save his own skin in a situation. This could be a violent assault against a member of his family, a house fire with a loved one trapped inside, or a battle. He saved himself, yet the next day he attempts to cross the street and is hit by a beer truck. He is remembered as a coward.

I'm really trying to avoid this post looking like a page from a book on bushido, but I think the old bushi were on to something. Shirking an obligation like the protection of family, or for military folk - of country, in order to save your own backside is a pretty damn unseemly thing. Better to die trying than die of old age knowing you could have done something but didn't. As Mr. Robbins so succinctly put it: 'Dying sucks.' But I would have to add the corrolary: 'Living in shame REALLY sucks.'

unsound000
21st February 2002, 06:34
My teacher says that life is like a yardstick. If there were not a beginning and an end, then there would be no purpose or meaning...He says that when life is lost, that it was simply the proper time for it to happen. The amount of time does not necessarily reflect the value of a life. Accept the value in what you were given and take from it what you can.
My teacher is always calm no matter the circumstance. He has the face of a man that would be comfortable in a war zone, I think. His eyes are always calm and his face never shows a lot of expression. I think he has accepted death and dying.

I'm not quite there yet...
:rolleyes:

Ian McDonald
21st February 2002, 20:59
I am not prepared to die. My affairs are in a state of disarray. Who will get my swords, who gets the rare books from my library? I haven't said all of those things to people important to me that I need to tell them. Who will take care of my aging mother? No, I am not ready.

Can I face death? Yes. Calmly? Depends, but I think so.

To paraphrase Ueshiba O'Sensei:

Looking at this world,
Only a coward complains of what he sees.
As for me,
Let me stand courageously in the face of the Kami's rage.

Ian McDonald

Michael Plank
1st March 2002, 01:49
Wow. I think about subjects like killing and dying a lot. I really can't say that I have any conclusions about either (I'm only 18 for crying out loud). I really really hope that I would stand up to my expectations of myself and "take a bullet" (or what have you) for those in my life who I love. I hope that there are a lot of people for whom I would lay down my life. I also hope that I would be prepared to die fighting for the lives of others and that I could actually FIGHT (as opposed to jump in front of a bullet, which I think could even be easier, since you don't get the chance to think twice...if that makes any sense at all...) a fight that I knew would kill me if doing so would save other lives. As for facing death calmly from a fair distance (ie disease or something like that, I hope I don't sound insane if I've pondered what hara-kiri must be like (not that I've considered TRYING it, mind you)), I really doubt if I could do it. I just don't have the experience and wisdom that it would take to face death calmly. I hope that this posting made some sense.

Mike Plank

Laotse
11th March 2002, 01:30
Originally posted by The Tengu
I never knew the answer to either question (could I kill; would I die) until I got married and had a son.

That can be taken either way. Getting married and having a child gives us something worthwhile to die for, should that become necessary. My first reaction upon marriage and child, however, was to stop riding a motorcycle -- I became acutely aware of my mortality, and realized I finally had someone to live for. My father died young, and I did not want that to happen to my loved ones as well.

Casey
21st March 2002, 00:20
Well, I think I am prepared to die. It's the way I live. Maybe a year ago, when I was twelve, I would say no, I ain't gonna die. But I woke up when my mother passed on, and realized "it happens". Heck, I could get capped by drug dealers when I walk to the library (it's that kinda town). But I combat that by never EVER putting myself in that kind of position. But, that's just my two cents:)

Semper Fi,

C. Eskridge

Budoka 34
1st April 2002, 13:45
:smilejapa

In the fall of 96 I was struck from behind by a group of "skinheads", and knocked unconscious.
One gentleman proceeded to kick me in the face with his Doc Martins. My Jaw was broken in two places and I suffered a rather severe concussion.
As you'd expect, I was very angry when I woke up. :-)
But, the more I thought about what had happened, the less angry I became. I had dropped my guard and it almost cost me my life. That is a valuable lesson. In the years since, I have returned to study the martial arts. Yes, so I could defend myself and my family, but also to learn more about myself and how I came to be in that situation. I have read alot of the great martial thinkers in the last three years or so, Musashi, Tesshu, Shigesuke, Tsunetomo, ect, and like the Samurai and other warriors, I have learned to make peace with death and have found a new respect for life.

R. Kite
Budoka 34

KuzuryuGenin
3rd April 2002, 04:59
I do not fear it....
I have great faith in what awaits me in death,
so I do not fear it. I have seen the miraculous
and therefore I do not deny the reality of a plane
of existance beyond the physical life. Faith has
brought me peace in my acceptance of death....
--Lou DeGraff

Mark Barlow
17th April 2002, 20:23
While I'm not rushing to embrace death, I won't avoid it at the cost of a loved one/friend/family member's safety. After almost 30 years of training, my mindset prevents me from putting my safety over that of others. Having said that, if I'm the only one at risk, I'll run like a scalded dog to save my butt.

Forrest Morgan's book, LIVING THE MARTIAL WAY, has some very interesting insights into just this type of question.

dainippon99
18th April 2002, 01:25
im not going to give a real answer, because i dont know. i feel like i dont fear death, but how many people have said that and then screamed and cried and begged before then end.

i hope i dont make a fool of myself when the time comes, though.

mtn_warrior
8th May 2002, 05:55
I have faced death in the face a few times. twice in combat, and once when I was in a bad accedent.

but it's said that the samurai was some of the best warriors because they did fear death. I think the acceptance of possible makes you stronger..

Michael

Dahlia
8th May 2002, 21:29
I'm 18, so I don't really know if I already can judge. Right now I would say that I'd prefer to die standing upright in combat to aging slowly and seeing everything pass on: fitness, charisma, energy, looks... Well, whatever. I've read too much Oscar Wilde I guess. It's frightening.
I've spent time thinking if I was ready to stand up and protect somebody I love. I hope I am. Same with ideals, I would rather fight then bow my head (but this is something that will disappear with the years, I guess...).
Something I would never do is fighting for something I don't believe in. Eg I won't risk my life in a foreign legion in a war or work as bodyguard.

When writing all this I try to forget about all the people who would miss me if I died. The situation becomes too complicated if you think of them... I could never chose, not yet.

mtn_warrior
8th May 2002, 22:43
let me correct myself.. I said samurai were great warriors "because they did fear death" and what I meant to say is that they did not fear death.

sorry

Michael Youngblood

Chiburi
11th May 2002, 15:16
As Mr.Soulend mentioned , death will come. If I have to face death in a fight, I'd rather take it like a man, be proud that I fought to the end, did all I could, and accept that my time has come. Look at all those wonderful years that I've been given! If someone thinks he/she can get me easy, they'd better be ready to die..

I hope I won't die "too soon", I'll do my best not to die "too soon".
But damn it, when the time comes, I'm going to take it like a man!

Or at least that's what I say now. I hope I'll never find out! :(

Regards, Tough Guy Macho Whiner

joz
14th May 2002, 13:34
No...

When it comes I want it to be a suprise...

And even in a poor odds situation I would be trying to do to the other fella as he would do to me but get it done first....

Nothing is a 100% certainty ask any decent Quantum mechanic...

So why be fatalistic?

Some American general (Patton?) said something along the lines of:

"Don`t die for your country make the other bugger die for his"...

Couple that with Winston Churchills:

"We shall fight them on the beaches..... but we shall never surrender"...

And you pretty much have my philosophy in this matter....

cybernite
24th May 2002, 06:20
Greetings all from the land of lurkers!

Allow me to flank this question. Whilst defending my own life, or those of the innocent, I am 100% committed to doing whatever is necessary to ensure my survival, and those under my protection. This of course means being willing to kill; however, I believe it implicitly implies the willness to die.

The classic warriors we all admire so much were so great because they lived in total commitment. Every action was an act of decisive will. If one is unwilling to kill and die on the battlefield, then one will hesistate. Hesistation in combat is likely lethal.

So, directly to the question: am I prepared to die? To answer this one *must* be able to answer: am I prepared to live with the same level of commitment?

To embrace death is to die a fool.
To avoid life is to live a coward.
Only when one accepts both with equal devotion is one prepared to honorably do either.

We are all born. We will all die. It's what transpires in between which determines how those actions are valued.

Well, enough philosophy for one evening. I will now go contemplate the immortal words of Socrates who said, "I drank what?!" :D

BudoGymnast84
20th June 2002, 03:12
I believe that when my human body passes on into oblivion that im not actually going to end. I believe in the transformation of energies, and that our body and our minds are nothing more than energy. So i just believe in the energy cycle and that when i die i wont actually die but just transform into another body of energy. So if i am faced with death i know that i am just part of a very complex history of actions and reactions and am put into that place and time because of what has happended in the past. So to answer the question yes I am prepared to die.