PDA

View Full Version : A Rippleys Believe it or Not Question.

Jerry Johnson
30th December 2001, 02:50
kokyo-nage I have read is esoteric term for "air throw." Does that imply a throw,which I was told, was a throw done by the "Tori" to the "Uki" ( pardon the "Hooked on Phonics" approach to the Japanese language) with out any physical contact in Judo?

Does such a thing exist or is it snipe bait for us newbies?

MarkF
30th December 2001, 21:41
No, Jerry, it isn't like that at all. Both kukinage and kokyonage exist. Check the AVI in the Aiko forum and see throw called sumiotoshi, one version is done in judo, the other is aikido. Basically, they are the same throws.

Kyuzo Mifune did his sumiotoshi as a "kukinage" the very effective "air throw." There is a thread in aikido (strangely, I think you got this from that thread) which has a hyperlink to one by aikidoka. It differs slightly because sumiotoshi is the throw in question and is done off a long attack while in judo it is done in the normal reach of randori.

Basically, nearly identical throws.

Mark

BTW: Type in the link to your browser as the link doesn't seem to work for some reason.

dakotajudo
4th January 2002, 13:07
Kokyu-nage is a generic term in aikido for a variety of throws; frequently a throw is called kokyu-nage if there is no specific name, such as irimi-nage or shiho-nage, for the technique applied.

Kokyu is better translated as "breathe". This concept is closely related to ki. A kokyu-nage is a throw where you project uke using extension and body movement, with little direct contact.

Sumi-otoshi in aikido isn't quite like judo's sumi-otoshi; the action of the tsuri-te is different (aikido doesn't really use tsuri-te). One variation of
sumi-otoshi that I've learned is a lot like Mifune's tama-guruma.

From the video clips I've seen, Mifune did also tai-otoshi as a kuki-nage.

MarkF
5th January 2002, 11:32
Yes, you're right. It is a one handed throw instead of the tsuri in the judo version. I was refering to the basics, but that is one main difference. I also mispelled kokyu as well.

Thanks for picking it up for me.

Mark