PDA

View Full Version : Training with Airsoft weapons

Son of Thunder
1st January 2002, 00:54
I recently came across a line of replica pistols/rifles/shotguns called "airsofts" that fire plastic BBs and are supposed to be better than paint-ball guns.
With the increasing necessity to include firearms in one's self-defense curriculum, I was wondering if anyone out there has trained with these mock-weapons. They seem to be very good, but I haven't ever used them, and I wouldn't want to pay for a replica weapon that will break the first time I get into some disarming practice.

asiawide
5th January 2002, 17:41
I think you mean the 'model gun'. There are many japanese
model gun makers and such guns almost like real guns in
their weights and looks. I think simple and cheap model
gun will be enough for disarming practice.

Jaemin

Sgathak
5th January 2002, 19:59
I know what he is talking about... Airsoft is a company which makes ultra realistic (in most cases) replica firearms in everything from M-16 to Walther PPK (I like their model of the British SA-80 rifle... Ive always liked bullpups :) but thats not the point)

As a training weapon, they are great. You can do both offensive and defensive shooting and your partner knows when he has been hit but it neither hurts (like wax rounds), nor gets paint all over the place (like a paintball gun), because they fire small 6mm bright green BB's. (but still, wear eye protection. The BBs move fast enough to do damage. I got shot in the eye with one about a year ago, I was lucky to be wearing glasses that day and not my contacts. The BB broke the glasses.) You can also do disarms, but due to the realism of the weapon, disarms work JUST as effectivly as with a real weapon! This has pros and cons obviously... You know EXACTLY how the disarm feels (unlike with a wood or foam weapon) but an Airsoft pistol can damage your trigger finger just like a real pistol.

Ive heard of fingers being cut off by trigger guards, and even a case in England (with some SAS guys) where the attacker got his finger caught in the guard, and the flesh was literally PEELED from his finger leaving only bone.

Be careful

J Robbins