PDA

View Full Version : aikido and street defense

Dark_Samurai
8th January 2002, 15:59
Has any one here used aikido to defend himself?

Kolschey
8th January 2002, 18:05
Mr. Samurai,

:nono:

Forum Rules:
Please sign your posts with your full name.

Many thanks,

Dark_Samurai
9th January 2002, 00:54
Happy?

:smokin:

Dark_Samurai
9th January 2002, 00:59
;)

hix
9th January 2002, 04:45
I would like to answer your question, but I can`t until you sign your post.

Good luck to you,

Jonathan Hicks;)

Chad Bruttomesso
9th January 2002, 06:12
Dark_Samurai,

Please from this point forward sign any and all posts with your full name. It is the rule here on this forum to which we all comply. Besides, I am sure that once you start doing this people will be much more inclined to answer your inquiries.

Thank you.

Chad Bruttomesso

INFINOO
9th January 2002, 22:45
Aikido is no quick fix. Or as my teacher used to say "Aikido can not be learned in ten easy steps." So if your planning on studying Aikido for self defense, I would look somewhere else. From my experience self defense in 99% attitude and 1% techneque.
Gregory Rogalsky
Rogalsky Combatives International

hix
17th January 2002, 06:25
I think the previous post is correct in that Aikido cannot be learned quickly. For quick street defense, I suggest some of the striking arts.

But as far as using Aikido to defend myself, I think I have.

First of all, to me, aikido is not a direct MA. In that I mean that a person who studies Aikido has a philosophy of misdirecting force or resolving an attack before it becomes a danger. The founder believed that Aikido was to be a tool for promoting harmony with your fellow man. This can be done on a physical level or an emotional level.

On the physical level, I was in a bar of course. My friend was really drunk. This guy grabbed my friends girlfriend. My freind became quite aggressive, but he was in no condition to fight. All of the sudden I noticed the guy picking up a beer bottle to smash over my friends head. At that moment I had to make a choice. I decided to enter the guys space an "take over" the beer bottle. I simply was able to keep the beer bottle from moving. I didn`t hurt the guy and my friend nor I was hurt. I just said that this was not nesessary and we went on our way. The guy didn`t know how to react and I`m not sure what would have happrened if he pulled a gun or something like that.And he didn`t. I say that I used Aikido to defend my self because no one was hurt in a dangerous situation. If I had done nothing, my friend may have been in the hospital.

From that encounter, I gained a better understanding of "Irimi" or "entering" which is one of the pillars in Aikido.

I have other examples of emotioanl Aikido, but I think I have written enough.

Also, Welcome to e-Budo. I liked your post.

Jonathan Hicks

Steven Miranda
17th January 2002, 16:27
Originally posted by Yamantaka

Dear Dark Samurai,
"Forum Rules:
Please sign your posts with your FULL name."

What is your full name? Martin Leroy or not? What does "D" means?
Just to clear things up...:rolleyes:

Is it just me, or is anyone else not seeing Kolschey FULL NAME? I also noticed that Yamantaka asked for clarification but didn't sign with a FULL NAME. Double standard at hand?

Just my observation ... fuzzy as it may be.

TyroneTurner
17th January 2002, 16:42
Good day everyone. I have found aiki techniques to be very practical in self-defense. Regarding joint locks, I've used sakajo/sankyo and nikajo/nikyo on a few occasions. They really take the fight out a person. They are great follow-ups to a strike, and excellent for setting-up a finishing strike or throw - if necessary.

A quick story...

A few years ago I was on a busy subway ramp in midtown Manhattan when I bumped into a high school classmate that I've not seen in years. She was about 7 months preganant at the time. A mentally disturbed man who was collecting empty bottles and cans started cursing at us for no apparent reason and started throwing bottles our way. I ran up to him, blocked his haymaker and executed a shihonage. He hit the deck pretty hard busted his eye. After a taste of mother earth (the ground), the fight was taken out of him. Police were alerted by other commuters and he was tended to, and I imagine taken into custody. I didn't stick around for that.

Regards,

Tyrone Turner
Zujitsuka
Queens, NY

Dark_Samurai
18th January 2002, 03:54
Thank you al for your great stories.

And for Yamantaka, D is for Deslauriers (I don't know what difference it makes).

:smokin:

Martin Leroy D

-"I do not fear the 10000 kicks you have practiced once; I fear the one kick you have practiced 10000 times."