PDA

View Full Version : Stepping back on the mat after a 15 year layoff. Should I wear a cup.

CEB
8th January 2002, 17:28
Hello,

I practiced Judo from 1982 til 1987. When I did Judo I always wore a groin cup. Some Judoka had told me that wearing was dangerous and that I should just wear a supporter. I'm an old karate guy. I guess the cup was like my security blanket so to speak and I always wore one. My 8 year old is wanting to try Judo and I have been getting the ich to get back on the mat so tonight we are going to make the trek to Decatur IL. It is a shame that the State Capital of Illinois doesn't have a Judo program.

Any other Judoka wear Groin protectors? Thanks for your input.

Ed Boyd

Aaron T. Fields
9th January 2002, 00:01
Jock no cup for me.......but as they say some like it rough......:laugh:

Jabonn
9th January 2002, 02:15
I don't wear a cup either. I say leave it in your gear bag.

Jabonn Flurry

efb8th
9th January 2002, 05:20
Never wore one in thirty-five years and no regrets, but be comfortable in your own mind!

Regards,

MarkF
9th January 2002, 09:22
There is something in the rules of shiai about wearing one or not, but personally, I wear a jock, no cup, and never have. There was a time I didn't were a jock, either, but then there was little to protect.:o

Mark

PeteBoyes
9th January 2002, 13:27
I've never had occasion to have wished I wore a cup, or box as we cricketers are used to calling them.

I found out early on in adolesence that I did need a 'tight' pair of pants (UK not US meaning!) so as to stop the rattling together each time I did a breakfall.

So, boxer shorts are out, I've never gone so ar as to use a 'jockstrap' but prefer the comfort of a pair of Speedo trunks.

CEB
9th January 2002, 16:28
Thanks for all your imput. I went with just a jock under a pair of lightweight shorts. I have to have the shorts. I used to lose my britches sometimes in the old days and this is a coed class. My ukemi was still good ( we throw each other around in karate ) but my timing was totally gone and my kuzushi was really poor. But, I had a goodtime and met some really good folks. My 8 year old had a blast he learned O-goshi and work for about an hour of osaekomi waza and he got to randori with the instructor. I think his is hooked so I guess we will be joining the dojo under the family plan.

Judo has changed in the last 20 years. A few things I noticed and I'm sure more more things have changed that I'm not aware of yet: 1) Ippon from a pin is 25 seconds I thought it was 30 seconds. 2) My gi sleeves are too short to be considered legal now and 3) You get penalized for non combativity by stepping away when I don't think we used too. Thanks again for all your input.

Ed Boyd

MarkF
10th January 2002, 10:17
Box is a good word for it. "Cajones" in Spanish means "boxes" literally.

The changes you mention (or at least two of them) changed in 1997 so you are right that osaekomi used to be thirty seconds, twenty-five for waza-ari. One can score with as little as nine seconds, but most smaller or local tournaments set the rules as they see fit. No hard and fast rules unless they are major tournaments.

The dogi have different measurements, also, as those I had until recently were from the early seventies and wouldn't work in shiai today (under that rule, anyway).

Mark