PDA

View Full Version : Anyone remember Dan (Danny) Nunez?

Nathan Scott
12th January 2002, 03:36
Hello,

A buddy of mine stopped by to visit me recently, and brought with him a box of old papers and books.

It turns out that he is the son of someone named Dan Nunez, who recently passed away.

Dan Nunez had apparently been a student of Donn Draeger's at the Washington Judo club. In the box were two hand typed and signed letters from Draeger sensei to Mr. Nunez, one encouraging him to join him in Japan to train at the Kodokan. After which, they could both come back and make a career for themselves as professional Judo instructors at various American universities.

There was a newspaper clipping showing Mr. Nunez and Draeger sensei standing together, and another loose photograph of Dreager s., Mr. Nunez, Shimizu s. and another person.

Which leads me to my reason for posting here. Apparently Mr. Nunez had met with Shimizu sensei on at least one occasion, as there were meishi in the box for both Shimizu s. and Kaminoda s. There was also a bokken, slightly worn, that had "Shindo Muso ryu Jodo" burned in kanji along one side of it's tsuka, given to Mr. Nunez by Shimizu s.

Shimizu s. also gave Mr. Nunez a copy of his book "Jodo Kyohan", that he signed and stamped.

My buddy is pretty thrilled to be finding out that his father had such associations, and was apparently well respected within Judo. His father had retired to San Luis Obispo, in Central California, which is where he eventually spent his last days.

His son now studies martial arts pretty seriously, and has been trying to find out more about his father's budo background.

I thought I'd post this here in case anyone knew Mr. Nunez, or cared to comment on the significance of him being given such articles by Shimizu sensei. Any comments would be welcome and appreciated!

It was very interesting to look through this "treasure box", needless to say.
Thanks for you attention (I thought about posting this in the Judo forum, but thougt there may be more bites here).