PDA

View Full Version : Toughening feet

deanoclark
13th January 2002, 23:45
Can anyone help?

I'm really struggling at the moment with the sole of my left foot for my Kendo training. I have increased my schedule and I'm finding that the blistering I get on my back foot never recovers in time to toughen up before the next session. All I am left with is a very tender foot and layers of skin that rip off after each training session.

Any ideas to speed up calous creation?

Dean Clark

luihu
14th January 2002, 10:03
No matter what you use to get your feet better, pure and unpleasant fact is that you either have to take the pain, or rest for a couple of days. No matter which option you choose, your feet heal sooner (option2) or later (option1). Comforting thought is that, when your feet heal, they'll be much harder.

József Pap

Jon S.
19th January 2002, 01:05
You might try tea tree oil. If you do, please let me know how it works.

Jon Small

Jon S.
19th January 2002, 20:32
Yes it can, but not as much as alcohol, I think. I've found that tea tree oil tends to harden the skin some around a wound - so I thought it might be perfect for what Dean wants. I don't have any idea about tincture of Benzoin though, maybe that's better.

Jon Small

deanoclark
22nd January 2002, 00:40
Cheers for the advice.....the tincture was indeed very difficult to find, so I'll definitely give the tea tree oil a go. Interestingly, someone who does kyaking told me that eucalyptus oil can work as well.

I'll post the results....

Dean Clark

WillyNinja
25th January 2002, 20:48
there's a book called "The Barefoot Hiker". You should be able to find it online. There are foot toughening exercises, apparently you can work up to running on gravel (not pea rock , I'm talkin' railroad bed rock!)
Check it out. The guy that wrote it hikes barefoot and many dedicated barefooters swear by his methods.

WillyNinja
25th January 2002, 20:54
I recommend Tincture of Benzoin AND J&J cloth tape. If you want to keep training, what I used to do is drain the blister, apply the benzoin and then tape it. Leave the tape on till it starts falling off. You need to let it heal to develop tougher skin, so alternate abrasion with coverage. Kinda like building muscle, you just can't rip it up, you need to give it time to recover and reinforce itself.

Also, some moleskin wouldn't hurt to cushion the tender spots, or there's stuff called NuSkin, it's like fingernail polish but you paint it on "hot spots" and it hardens like callous. Hikers & soldiers use both of these alot.