PDA

View Full Version : Good balm for defeat?

Charlie Kondek
14th January 2002, 17:04
Shiai yesterday. Did piss-poor. Well, in my opinion, anyway - suffice it to say I just wanted to do much better. I had some good moments, (ipponed once with tai-otoshi, woo hoo!) but was just disappointed with myself. Coach was encouraging. But I'm totally Monday-morning quarterbacking this morning - "Should've pancaked there," "Should've attacked the off side there," "Why didn't I step deeper there?" plus, all the pins, I can now think of 2 or 3 potential ways to help me escape (although I did have some good ones - you know, the kind where the people at mat-side go, "Oh, he ain't getting out of that - whoa, he DID get outta that?"). Anyway, I'm just kinda down on myself this morning. But like one of the coaches said, "You just have your off days. Get em next time."

He also said, "Many times I've snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. Don't sweat it."

Anyone got a good cure for post-shiai blues?

Enfield
15th January 2002, 01:49
I'm just a silly kendoka browsing this forum, so take my opinion for what it's worth.

Since you seem to be seeing where you went wrong and what you should have done instead, I'd say you had a successful shiai. In kendo anyway, I've been taught that the point of shiai is to try your hardest and see what happens. If you win, that's great, but if you lose, that's fine too, because it points out what you need to work on. I try to think of shiai as jigeiko (which I guess would be randori in judo), with the added realism of not knowing your opponent and hence his strengths and weaknesses.

- Kent Enfield

red_fists
15th January 2002, 02:03
I agree with Kent.

Use the knowledge you found as the next focus for your training.

Don't despair, rather be happy that you have found a point where you can increase your skill and show growth.

IMO, MA Training would be boring if everything went smooth and we had no problem areas to correct.

Said that I got quiet a few pointers from Sifu on saturday that I need to work on.
A few problem areas I had realised myself.

Jon S.
15th January 2002, 06:03
So what did you do well? Was your tai otoshi a nice one - the effortless kind? What were some other good moments and how could you have acted better on them?

I say focus on the positive stuff. Give attention to what you need to do better, but give as much to what you did well and how you could polish that.

If you get to feeling negative about your abilities, go watch an old video of yourself.

No injuries, right? It maybe could've been better, but it could have been a whole lot worse.

I think Mr. Enfield is right, sounds like a successful shiai. Who's perfect?

Jon Small

MarkF
15th January 2002, 10:40
Hey, Charlie,
These guys are right, including the, uhh, kendoka.;) If you scored with a good tai-otoshi, or If I did, I'd feel just great...until I asked my instructor where I went wrong in my other match[es].

But that is what the dojo is for...a place for learning the way. You can question yourself all the way to Sunday and it won't change the outcome.

Shiai was originally the symbolic battlefield. You won, you went on to live for another day (or the next match). That you made it to fight again, well, that too is a victory.

If your teacher was there, try to get some of his time, or even from another who saw the match from your dojo. They have the advantage of being on the outside looking in. Don't doubt yourself. There is always the next one which will soon occupy your mind.

If I had one ippon from each tournament I entered, I was ecstatic. Even if I then lost, I still won, or...ah, you know what I mean.

Mark

Charlie Kondek
15th January 2002, 15:50
Thanks, guys. My coach(es) said pretty much the same thing. I do feel much better. My initial blues pretty quickly gave way to a desire to get back on that horse and ride again. Monday morning quarterbacking turned into Monday evening desire to reapply myself in the dojo. I can't remember who it was - maybe it's been said in a couple of places - that said you should always feel like packing it in and then moving through that, you know? That there'll be many times in your life where you think, I'll never do this as well as so-and-so (Kent, had this feeling about kendo many times), but that you have to get through that and transform that into, No, screw it, I'm gonna get back in there and give it my best.

Domo argigato gozaimasu!

BtC
17th January 2002, 01:13
you should be proud of the ippon :D and work on the reasons you lost:smash:

good luck in future tournaments

Conner Bond

Charlie Kondek
17th January 2002, 13:49
Thanks, man! Hey, welcome to the forum. Nice to have you.

Jody Holeton
28th January 2002, 04:15
Hey Charlie!

You talking about Saturday's class or about that Power place (Me and Sarah couldn't find it)?

I've seen you in action and you leave ONE little tidbit out of your writings: you're lucky to get judo randori in once a week.

I know you can handle yourself in kumite (I've kicked you in the n**s to learn that) BUT in judo you need (forget you, I'VE seen your yuki waza), WE NEED more techniques, more grip fighting basics, more entering drills AND more randori.

Don't sweat it, try and have fun. If we could get you doing randori with Jerry, Frank and Mohammen (NOT pronounced Mohammit) 3 times a week, we would have you fighting nationally in no time.

Are you going to that tournament this weekend?

Mata ne--Jody

Charlie Kondek
28th January 2002, 16:00
Haha! Hey, Jody! This was in reference to the grading invitational at MSU like, what was it, three weeks ago. Yeah, I just went a few rounds with self-defeat before wanting to get back up on that horse and get riding again.

Alas, I don't think I'm going to be able to make the MSU invitational this weekend. (Is it the "Konan Invitational" or the "Conan Invitational." I'd kinda like to see the latter...) And you're right, only being able to practice once or twice a week is an impediment. As it is, I share my exercise time between kendo and judo. It's cool cuz I get to do both but the disadvantage is it slows down the progress in both.

Nothing to do but keep at it! Are you going to the Conan Invite. this weekend? I hope we can get together for some more full-contact sparring soon. I owe you for that "hockey jersey" maneuver... :laugh:

Jody Holeton
28th January 2002, 18:01
EHHEHEHHEHEHEHEHEH!

You see Charlie, I'm not laughing at you! I'm laughing at the guy you will drop with your right hand of GOD when you sprawl on his double leg takedown (which you helped learn from ME BTW).

I LOVE JUDO BUT in my life the guys I go toe to toe with aren't stopping when I say "matte!"

I know you've been training with your wife on that "jersey move"!
I know that you know that I know that you know! Ya know?

Which means I am going to have to come up with something new for ya!!

BTW, how did you feel about your Vale Tudo work? I may not be so good at judo BUT I throw a kick in there for kizushii my throws go alot smoother!!!

Later--Jody

P.S. I'm training at Mark Trip's now! Its GREAT, ya gotta come down!

Charlie Kondek
28th January 2002, 18:15
Awesome. Where is Tripp's, isn't it Livonia or something?

Yeah, don't get me started on your "stinger" kicks... :smash:

Aaron T. Fields
28th January 2002, 23:57
post randori blues?........the cure, well...practice..... consider it a victory if you come out without califlower ear. I was working with an ex-olympian and I couldn't stop his ippon seio-nage (of course not many people could.) So no blues....go along and enjoy the ride, and try to drag him down in ne-waza......(Kit I know your all smiles.)

Seriously, some days you are on some days your not. I try to organize my goals for practice that day based around what is working and not. Hopefully when I'm off I can focus on something else (maybe only successful "fits" or unbalance and never-mind the termination of technique.)

MTripp
2nd February 2002, 12:13
Gee, I don't know....

...I've heard that Tripp guy is a big jerk! : )

www.bodokanjudo.org, BUT, we are on the east side not the west side.