PDA

View Full Version : Aikido kenkyu kai int

daniel fields
15th January 2002, 00:53
Hi, I am interested in studying aikido and saw an advertisment for Aikido Kenkyu Kai Int and was wondering wether anyone could tell me about this style of Aikido, and what the name means. I have been to see a Aikido class before and thought it was good so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Daniel Fields

Johan Tibell
15th January 2002, 19:12
Perhaps a stupid question but are you sure it wasn't the name of the dojo? :look:

Otherwise I've never heard of it. Although I only know then names of perhaps six or seven styles of the largest styles so it doesn't have to mean anything.

Regards,

Johan Tibell

Yamantaka
15th January 2002, 21:03
Originally posted by daniel fields
Hi, I am interested in studying aikido and saw an advertisment for Aikido Kenkyu Kai Int and was wondering wether anyone could tell me about this style of Aikido, and what the name means. I have been to see a Aikido class before and thought it was good so any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Daniel Fields

YAMANTAKA : It seems it is an american group linked to a japanese Aikikai Shihan, YOSHINOBU TAKEDA. Their link is :
www.aikidokenkyukai.org
That's all I know. Perhaps someone will have more to tell you.
Best

Greg Jennings
15th January 2002, 21:58
Originally posted by Yamantaka

YAMANTAKA : It seems it is an american group linked to a japanese Aikikai Shihan, YOSHINOBU TAKEDA. Their link is :
www.aikidokenkyukai.org
That's all I know. Perhaps someone will have more to tell you.
Best

I know zip about them also. I reviewed the web site. It seems like they are an Aikikai derivative and might be affiliated (that is the Aikikai would process dan ranks).

As always, look up all the dojo with a reasonable commute. Go visit all of them. Actually train with them if they'll let you. I'd go so far as to make the rounds twice.

Then pick the dojo that you feel that you can make a long-term commitment to. How you get along with the instructor and the students will be a big part of your over-all experience.

Best,

Greg Jennings
mailto:gregs_shell_account@yahoo.com
http://www.capitalcityaikido.com/

Ellis Amdur
15th January 2002, 22:17
Takeda Yoshinobu is, I believe one of the senior disciples of the recently deceased Yamaguchi Seigo (of Aikikai). I recall a Takeda sensei from that general area, with brilliant and very elegant technique.

Ellis Amdur

Jeremy Hulley
16th January 2002, 00:54
I was in Japan recently and trained with some of Takeda Sensei's students. I had to sit out the yudansha class that Takeda Sensei taught but the style was flowing and powerful. Takeda sensei is really nice and appraochable as are his students.
I have also had the pleasure of training with Kaoru Murase Sensei, a student of both Yamaguchi Sensei and Takeda Sensei, who teaches in Tokyo. Be prepared for the most aerobic Aikido you may ever see and have fun.
Jeremy

daniel fields
16th January 2002, 04:09
Hi, just posting to thank everyone for there replies and help. I am going to go and check the class out in the next few days so thanks for the advice and information.

Thanks
Daniel Fields

Chris Li
16th January 2002, 13:21
Originally posted by Greg Jennings

I know zip about them also. I reviewed the web site. It seems like they are an Aikikai derivative and might be affiliated (that is the Aikikai would process dan ranks).

Takeda was a long time student of Seigo Yamaguchi. He teaches in the Kanagawa area and is Aikikai affiliated (does that make them derivative?). He's quite good. 7th dan, I think (if it matters), but I may be wrong.

Best,

Chris

Greg Jennings
16th January 2002, 22:14
Originally posted by Chris Li

Takeda was a long time student of Seigo Yamaguchi. He teaches in the Kanagawa area and is Aikikai affiliated (does that make them derivative?).

I thought it might be that they have a relationship to a high-ranking individual but are not affiliated with the Aikikai. E.g., some of Saito and Chiba Senseis' dojos have this sort of relationship.

I don't see anything wrong with that sort of relationship nor did I imply that the quality of the instruction, etc. would be inferior.

I was, as is my wont, attempting to be accurate.

Regards,

Greg Jennings
mailto:gregs_shell_account@yahoo.com
http://www.capitalcityaikido.com/

Morgan Jobe
27th January 2002, 07:05
I am not sure of your location, but if you are refering to the organization associated with Yoshinobu Takeda, I can provide you some information on the dojos in Japan. I have never visited any of the affiliated dojo's in other countries.

I practiced in Yoshinobu Takeda sensei's organization while I lived in Japan. Yoshinobu Takeda (7th dan) is the head of the organization, but there are several other shihan who are members and teach at other dojos in the area. As someone mentioned, he is a former student of the late Seigo Yamaguchi. The headquarters dojo is located in Higashi Totsuka, Kanagawa Prefecture. It is connected to the Aikikai and all dan ranks are processed through the Aikikai. The organization has affiliated dojo's in the U.S., Canada, Australia, and New Zea Land.

Y. Takeda's aikido technique, as well as that of other shihan in the organization, is quite beautiful. It is very flowing, dynamic and powerful, but somewhat different from what you may see at hombu. His style of ikkyo and tenchinage is rather unique. Classes are very active. You won't see many techniques done from static. Great emphasis is placed on suwari waza, the use of the bokken as well as the shoto, which is something that I've never used in any other dojo.

Although I do not know him well on a personal level, as most of my direct instruction was from one of the other shihan in the organization, Satoshi Takeda sensei (no relation), he seems to be a very nice man. I know his son better, and he is a very cool guy. The organization has a number of non-japanese students and teachers in Japan and is very welcoming to all.

Try it out and see if it is to your liking. I'm sure they will be happy to have you.

Morgan Jobe

P.S. I believe Takeda sensei makes an annual trip to teach in California in late Augst or early September.