PDA

View Full Version : Jujutsu in Oz

Paul Steadman
15th January 2002, 15:44
G'day Everyone,

What's the story on jujutsu in Australia? Besides the authentic jujutsu and heiho/hyoho dojos run by Ozzie shibucho from Hontai Yoshin Ryu, Yagyu Shingan Ryu, Tenjin Shinyo Ryu, Tenshin Koryu etc, etc, I've been lead to believe that the majority of jujutsu schools in Australia are just reverse-engineered judo (just look at the ASJJ curiculum) or come from a back ground of mixtures of karate + judo % aikido = jiujitsu (yuk, I hate that spelling) practised by guys who wear hakama (to look the part), miss-pronounce Japanese terminology and walk around at tournaments (ha, there's another clue) all knowingly, saying things like "...the old schools of jujutsu, died out before WW-II," or my favourite "...jujutsu is the original fore-runner of all other martial arts including judo, aikido, kendo, karate etc," and ...jujutsu is an "UNARMED" martial art..." etc.

Anyway, now I find out that there are a number of Australians who started and run dojos under the auspices of a legit ryu/dojo in Japan and regularly visit their respective hombu and sensei in Japane to upgrade skills and knowledge. As opposed to forming groups, patting each other on the back and grading each other at so-called seminars. Unfortunately some of these instructors have passed away. But some are still active I think. To my surprise some of these instructors (pioneers of Japanese jujutsu if you ask me) are/were members of some of the Ozzie jujutsu organisations.

Does anyone have any info on any Australians who are/were teaching fromal classes in Japanese jujutsu (NOT made up Monkey Magic or reverse-engineered judo/aikido) under the direction of a ryu/sensei in Japan? I'd like to contact them and meet them for the purposes of furthering the aims and objectives of the Australian Koryu Federation.

All the best,

Paul Steadman

popupsoldier
15th January 2002, 22:37
Having friends who practice in Austrlia, I can tell you that what you have on authentic Koryu schools is about all that's available directly.

Other organisations have cropped up recently though - namely the 'Genbukan' group with its 'Kokusai Jujutsu Renmei' - which also teach Koryu Jujutsu. Homebase is Sydney.

Tim Oldham

Dale
17th January 2002, 06:38
G'day Paul,
I'm a student of Jan de Jong Shihan currently living in Sydney. I've trained at a few Jujitsu schools in NSW and have yet to find one that isn't, as you put it "reverse-engineered judo". I also share your obvious disdain for self promoting associations and affiliations who are obviously more interested in what it says on their business card than actually improving their depth of knowledge (I won't name names but you probably know who I'm on about).
Although I'm not able to assist you with any names personally I believe that if they did/do exist that Jan de Jong, or his instructors may be able to provide you with information.
I have seen the name of the "Kokusai Jujutsu Renmei" floating around and was wondering about their authenticity as a Koryu. I'm a bit of a skeptic when it comes to these things as I have grown weary of dissappointment. Sure someone may return twice a year to train at their Hombu in Japan, but location doesn't ensure quality.... I just had "Dunkin Donuts" in Italy for cryin out loud!!!

Sorry about the lack of content I'm a little jet-laggged!

Respectfully yours
Dale Elsdon