PDA

View Full Version : Strapping up toes?

Mike Williams
15th January 2002, 17:50
Ouch! Right, that's it! I've gone over on my big toe just one too many times...

What do you all use to strap up / support your toes? I've tried using strips of elastoplast (the stuff that comes in a roll, not individual plasters) - but even if I wrap it around a couple of times, it always comes loose and starts flapping around in a most distracting way.

Are there any other alternatives I could use to support the toe? Repeatedly hurting it (and worrying about hurting it) is starting to affect my training - so any ideas and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Mike (suffering from last night's randori)
London, UK

red_fists
18th January 2002, 01:25
Hi Mike.

There is not really much you can do.
Normal recommendation is:
Rest
Ice
Compression
Elevation

Known as R.I.C.E. method.

Toes are tricky as they cannot be 100% immobilized.

1.) Stiff soled shoes are also recommended(wrestling shoes).
2.) Try rubbing some Arnica oil on it, this should also help.
This helps ease inflammation.
3.) As for tying the Toe up.
First you would need to immobilize it.
Best way for doing that is tube gauze or similar around the Toe and than strapping either the whole foot or what is called "Neighbour strapping". i,e, 2 or 3 Toes together.
The strapping should still be comfortable and semi-elastic.

Best is a combination of 3 points together.
There are some orthopaedic shoes available that will do a similar job, but you cannot do sports in those.

I gues you don't want any form of splint, to immobilize the toe.

Either way you will loose some mobility until the Injury has healed properly.

Best recommendation I can give is to go and see a Sports Doctor and ask his advice.

Hope this helps and you recover soon..:wave:

Mike Williams
18th January 2002, 10:21
Thanks for the advice, guys.

My girlfriend has finally convinced me to see a doc, so I shall yield to her better judgement.

In the meantime I shall try neighbour-strapping the toes in between training sessions. (Like with all injuries, I'm desperate to find a way to keep training...)

I think boots would be frowned upon, since there is some kicking (with contact) in our syllabus - but I shall ask my sensei.

I guess the really important thing is to time the entries to my throws better (since that's invariably when I trip/slip/stub/twist my toes!)

Cheers

Mike
London, UK

Joe Kras
15th February 2002, 03:11
As I am recovering from toe surgery right now, I am also looking for things to stabilize my toe while it heals (I had a "hammer toe" correction of the second toe).

I am probably going to go with a product called COBAN. It seems to stick to itself fairly well, better than when I've used plain adhesive tape in the past. Although my toe is too painful to train with right now, I've tried the COBAN and I think it will do the trick.

Joe Kras
St. Louis, MO USA

Mike Williams
15th February 2002, 09:59
Hi Joe,

Where do you get the stuff? Pharmacies? Sports shops? I'd like to try some.

Cheers,

Mike

PS: Hope your toe heals quickly!

Joe Kras
15th February 2002, 19:44
Originally posted by Mike Williams
Hi Joe,

Where do you get the stuff?

I've found it in some pharmacies. It's brown, comes in a roll looking somewhat like an ACE wrap, and comes in various widths (1", 2", 3").

COBAN is made by 3M. Hope you can find it.

Joe

MarkF
16th February 2002, 09:56
Orthhopadic Pharmacies/wholesalers should have it, or look for any pharmacy which advertises orthopaedic supplies.

Mark

Mike Williams
18th February 2002, 09:21
Thanks folks!

Mike.

Ishinguy
19th February 2002, 22:25
Hi Mike,
I know you don't want to wear wrestling boots but how about
Tae Kwon Do shoes, you can kick with those on and they will offer you some protection I would think .Somebody with bad feet uses them at our Karate club and no one has objected.
Nick Barrett :toast: