PDA

View Full Version : 6 day underwear

John Lindsey
15th January 2002, 20:55
Some of you might remember the Japanese inventor who came up with “6 day” underwear. The underwear had 3 leg holes, and the user was supposed to rotate the holes every day, and turn it inside out after 3 days for 3 more. This invention obviously never caught on, but its legacy lives on.

I say that because now and then I will come across an article that mentions it:
http://abcnews.go.com/sections/business/WorkingWounded/ww990402.html

It seems that this underwear has become the undeserved de facto example of Japanese eccentricity. But, the Japanese people do not go around rotating their underwear everyday.

I wonder if to a certain extent, the average Westerner sees the Japanese as a little bit eccentric. Its not that they are different in a strange and exotic way, its that they seem to do wacky things like this?

Jay Bell
15th January 2002, 21:38
erm...I already do... :look:

joe yang
15th January 2002, 23:35
An underwear post! Oh man! You guys are just asking to be abused.

I just switched from cotton, to polypro, after 20 years of a die hard, yuppie insistance on natural fiber. My new battle cry is "cotton kills", courtesy of the Appalachian Mountain Club.

I started out with a high priced T-Shirt, to wear under body armor. Then I discovered Sierra Trading Post discounts. I went from T-Shirts to socks, to jockey shorts. Now, I never have to powder my nuts any more! Can I say that? ;)

red_fists
15th January 2002, 23:35
Japanese eccentric??

Naaah, they just like Gadgets a lot.

Sez he, who still can't figure out all the buttons on the Companies Toilet.

MarkF
16th January 2002, 11:26
Sure I would...If I were six days or more from the nearest underwear trading post.

Mark

PS: I noticed that of the six votes up so far none would. I don't think they are living in the real world.:eek:

red_fists
17th January 2002, 01:48
Hi Mark.

Originally posted by MarkF

PS: I noticed that of the six votes up so far none would. I don't think they are living in the real world.:eek:

Not sure about the real world. :(

But over here in Japan I can get a fresh pair of underpants at the local Convenience store 24/7. :look:

Cheers. :beer:

joe yang
17th January 2002, 12:26
Mr. Lindsey, poll option #4, depends, is that a yes/no/maybe answer? Or is it the adult, disposable diaper? Depends gets my vote. 6 day underwear maybe sounds good for the work week commuter, living out of a trunk and taking birdbaths. I wonder what happens when it trickles down to that segment of society who sleep in doorways, shoplift for fresh clothes and only bathe when they get incarcerated? ;)

Mike Williams
18th January 2002, 10:57
3-hole underpants?????

Wouldn't that lead to 'fall-out'?

You'd better hope you'd done up the ties on your gi pants good'n'tight if you were wearing underwear like that!

(especially if you were on to the second 3-day rotation...

Cheers,

Mike
London, UK

hikari
18th January 2002, 12:42
... and how do you attach a sanitary pad on *that*?

I bet they weren't thinking of women when they thought of it. Yuck...

Ron Tisdale
5th February 2002, 18:24
Hikari,

TOO MUCH INFORMATION....

Ron (I just don't want to know) Tisdale :)