PDA

View Full Version : Ahhh! Pain!

PHILBERT
18th January 2002, 01:12
I got me a question. Whenever I jog/run, after a few minutes the right side of my upper back hurts. I can tollerate it, but it annoys me big time. This is the only "cardio" workout that does this. I can use any other machine without a problem, it's just jogging that does it.

Also, when I do the tricep pull down (where the bar is at about chest level and you pull it down using your triceps), my rib pops. I have a dislocated rib and sometimes it pops when I do this exercise.

Next up, when I do seated benching (where you are sitting and push the bar in front of you), that bone that runs from your shoulders across your chest hurts pretty badly.

And finally, when I do ab crunches, my lower back hurts.

Now before I get suggestions, let me first state that I have Sherman's Kyposis (sp?) where my spinal cord is curved like a question mark (it is visible from the side, but it isn't THAT badly curved). Not scoliosis (which is when your spine is curved and visible from the front or back). And I have a dislocated rib and when I do chest exercises, my shoulder pops (left shoulder). I once had the rib popped back into place, but it fell back out of place (I have no idea). So could these be the reason why I get all this pain? The upper back is beyond me though. And the crunches is too.

I was wondering if anyone had suggestions (short of surgery, which would cause me to loose about 75 pounds of muscle and fat, and yes I checked into this). Thanks.

Scott Rehark

red_fists
18th January 2002, 01:40
Hi Scott.

Jogging:
Have you tried a different breathing Pattern??
Sounds like it might be breath related.

Ab-Crunch:
Sounds like you are doing them slightly wrong.
Arms crossed in front of Chest?
Legs at a nice angle?
Not pulling upwards from the neck?
FWIW, I prefer leg-raises over the ab-crunch.

Not sure about the ribs. :(

But it sounds like you got some injuries that never healed properly and that you might not have been aware.

Best Advice:
Hire a professional Trainer for a session or two to check out what you are doing.

Hope this helps.

P.S.: If it hurst in the back it is best to stop in the front.
Just kidding. :toast:

Rosi
18th January 2002, 15:36
If possible, it might be worth seeing a qualified osteopath (if you have one nearby). I've had some problems with my back, one of which meant i couldn't even sit for more than a few minutes at a time. After a couple of sessions of treatment by an osteopath i'd had recommended to me i was more or less back to normal - this guy was just fantastic. Do check on their qualifications (whether they're licenced with the appropriate national organisations etc), and personal recommendation is always best, but if you manage to find a good one they're a godsend. Alexander technique is also great if you can find a qualified teacher in your area.

With the weights, i'd agree with the suggestion of getting a professional to check out your technique for a session or two. I'd perhaps also think about dropping the weight a bit and concentrating on posture and form with the exercise (a mirror helps).

Ab crunches - do you also do lower back exercises (dorsal raises or similar?) It's apparently quite important that your abs aren't much stronger than your lower back - serious muscle imbalances can be a Very Bad Thing.

hope some of this might be helpful

rosi