PDA

View Full Version : aikido and Kicks

Dark_Samurai
18th January 2002, 03:57
Is aikido good to defend angaisnt kicks? Do you know some techniques angainst kicks?

:smokin:

Martin Leroy D

-"I do not fear the 10000 kicks you have practiced once; I fear the one kick you have practiced 10000 times."

Johan Tibell
19th January 2002, 16:34
For all kicks above the waist I suggest that you enter to uke side/back with irimi. What technique you perform from there matters little. Basically you could just hit him in the face with your tegatana/fist with middle knuckle raised (word for this?). Personally I don't think high kicks are very good since you have poor balance. Yes I know you might say some people have great balance when they kick but that's before someone run into the with their whole body weight.

Low kicks are trickier but the same principles apply. Entering. Note that kicks from the side (mawashi geri etc) should either be intercepted very early (like with a yokomen uchi strike) or avoided by entering on the opposite side. Of course this is just my $0.02...

Practice, practice, practice... No one can ever tell you how to do it. So am I saying this? I don't know...

Regards,

Johan Tibell

szczepan
22nd January 2002, 01:25
Salut Dark Samurai,

well, answer is a bit complicated.

Surly aikido techniques work well against kicks. U must use same principles as to basic techniques.
I did some classes with such techniques and made few observations:
1. First everybody must learn decent kicks. This is difficult, particularly for older ppl - they have streching problems.
2. uke's job is quite difficult for beginners - not very easy to receive safely and fall down. And accidents happen even for ancien folks with good judo background - cos U can't do any technique in half power against fast, powerfull kick.
3. defence against sloppy kick is easy :shot: . defence against somebody who know how to&when kick - this quite other story :nono:

These are few reasons why some instructors are not very confortable with teching techniques against kicks and you don't see it very often.

Yamantaka
22nd January 2002, 11:09
You'll find some good defenses against kicks in Hiroshi Ikeda's video "ZA", available from Bujin Design 3320 15th Street Boulder (CO) 80304-2210. The phone number is 303-444-7663 and the fax is 303-444-1137. The URL is www.bujindesign.com
Best

Dark_Samurai
22nd January 2002, 16:33
Thank you all.

:smokin:

Martin Leroy D, aikido de la montagne student
-"I do not fear the 10000 kicks you have practiced once; I fear the one kick you have practiced 10000 times."