PDA

View Full Version : Motobu Choki's 1932 Watashi no Karate-jutsu

Patrick McCarthy
19th January 2002, 03:23
Dear Doug & folks,

At long last our Japanese to English translation of Motobu Choki's 1932 publication, "Watashi no Karate-jutsu," is finally completed.

Just sent off to the printers, and due out the 14 of February, the publication is approximately 120 pages in the same size and format as our Funakoshi Gichin publication, "Tanpenshu." The cost of this publication is $24.95 (USD), which includes airmail shipping.

We've decided to make a limited run of only 1000 books and sell them on a first-come-first-serve basis.

Those interested in more information can visit our web site located www.society.webcentral.com.au

Cordially

Patrick McCarthy
www.society.webcentral.com.au
"Education is what survives when what has been learnt has been forgotten."

Yamantaka
19th January 2002, 12:17
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Patrick McCarthy
[B]Dear Doug & folks,

At long last our Japanese to English translation of Motobu Choki's 1932 publication, "Watashi no Karate-jutsu," is finally completed.
Cordially
Patrick McCarthy [END QUOTE]

YAMANTAKA : Dear McCarthy Sama,

I've come to expect a high level of quality from your works so, please, take my request for your translation of Motobu Choki's book.
I hope you still have my credit card number. If not, let me know and I'll send it to you personally.
And an autographed copy, of course, will be more than welcome...
Best regards :wave:

Doug Daulton
23rd January 2002, 23:03
Patrick,

Thanks for the info. I hope this note finds you and your family well!

Regards,

Bujin
29th January 2002, 04:13
Hi Doug,

Thanks for the thumbs up. Just returned from a wonderful 10 day family vacation up near the Great Barrier Reef. Very refreshing.

Hope you're well, too.

Patrick

PS YAMANTAKA, received your order and will get it straight out to you when we pick them up on the 14th.

PM

Patrick McCarthy
7th February 2002, 21:57
Hi Jim,

Sorry about the delay in responding. Been busy.

Having contributed an informative chapter to this publication, Graham Noble sourced you quoting Miyahara Sensei, saying ...."At the end of six months Motobu had nothing left to teach."

I enjoyed Charles Goodin's take on this issue when he wrote, “With fewer kata, more time and effort can be devoted to bunkai. I do not think that Motobu-Ryu emphasizes bunkai because it has fewer kata — I suspect that it has fewer kata in order to emphasize bunkai.” (“Setting the Record Straight,” 4th Quarter issue journal 2001, page 7)

At any rate, I concur with your evaluation of Motobu's training; he was certainly a hard man. His actual (ever evolving) *style* brought together a series of warm-up & cool-down) exercises (junbi/seri undo), suplimentary training equipment (renshu kigu) such as stone weights etc., makiwara striking (Motobu loved his makiwara and, by all accounts, could hit like a Mack truck!), and an infinite number of two-person drills that linked defensive themes to corresponding acts of physical violence, lessons culminated in the kata he taught.

Studying his life, the principles of his style and written publications, I've learned a lot from Motobu's contributions. In my opinion, Master Motobu Choki represented the last of a warrior-like breed, a stalwart not intimidated by political pressure, or afraid to stand up for what he believed in. He walked the talk. Always the perpetual student, never a clone of mass production or mundane training, Motobu Choki demanded all or nothing. It’s too bad we don’t have more men like him today.

The publication will be available from the 14th of the month. I hope you'll consider getting a copy. It's a great read.

Cordially

PM

Joel Simmons
7th February 2002, 23:38
Aloha Mr. McCarthy,

I wanted to ask how secure the email ordering is from your website. I've heard that when people send email across the web, that anyone who has the ability to, can "pick it up" and read it. ??? Just wondering.

Take care. :)

Kevin73
8th February 2002, 16:30
Mr. McCarthy,

I was wondering what is covered in that book? Will it have Motobu's self-defense lessons in it? I have heard about these but have never seen them in a book. Thank you for your time and contributions.

Patrick McCarthy
10th February 2002, 06:09
Dear Kevin,

Please find enclosed a copy of the contents, FYI.

Contents
Translator’s Introduction
Revival of Motobu Choki by Kinjo Hiroshi
Recollections “The Shabana/Nakama Interview”
More on Motobu
Talking about my Teacher by Marukawa Kenji
Motobu’s Favourite Sayings
Recollections of Motobu by Miyahira Katsuya
The 1925 King Magazine Article
Tale of a Great Bujin by Nagamine Shoshin
Karate Training by Kyan Chotoku
Motobu Choki’s 1926 Kumite Drills,
English Explanation & How-to Photos
(12 pages of) Vintage Photographs
Watashi no Karate-jutsu
A Medical Perspective by Dr. Toguchi
Prologue by Prof. Sugiyama Kenji
Author's Preface
Origins & Significance
Ryukyu Karate Genealogy
Kata & Change in Karate
Summarizing the Rules of Quanfa How to Make a Clenched Fist
Meotou-di
How to Make the One-knuckled Fist
Fundamental Posturing & Using the Hips
How to Make & Use a Makiwara
Renshu Kigu
Training Advice (of Matsumura, Nagahama and Itosu)
Incorrect Transmission of Naihanchi Kata
Naihanchi Shodan
Advice on Posturing
“Karate ni Sente Nashi”
Application Principles
Ryukyuan Martial Artists
Local Bujin Genealogy Diagram
Anecdotes of Modern Bujin
A Brief History of Motobu
Publication Details
Motobu Choki in Retrospect
Motobu Choki Teacher/Student Lineage Chart
Bibliography
Photo Credit & Written Sources

Attn: hawaiianvw67

While we've never had a problem with e-mail hacking I understand your concern. Our tel/fax is + 61 - 7 - 3863-2055 (If you're going to call please check the time differences so we don't get your call at 3am:-) Alternatively, our mailing address is PO Box 420 Virginia 4014 Australia

Dear Jim,

Thanks for the explanation.

PM

PS More information can be found about Motobu's publication here http://www.society.webcentral.com.au/motobu_choki_book.htm