PDA

View Full Version : How to tied Iaido Obi

RJR
19th January 2002, 12:48
Hello.
Can anybody told me how to tied iaido obi?
Thank you.
RJR

JimmyCrow
21st January 2002, 05:49
RJR

Here is a pic. of a card that came with an obi I bought a few years ago. Hope it helps. Let me be the first to welcome you to e-budo and remeber the Forum Rules:Please sign your posts with your full name.

Good Luck:smilejapa

Jimmy Crow

RJR
21st January 2002, 18:37
Thank you all very much for the answers.
Regards
Risto Ruottinen :)

Jeff Hamacher
22nd January 2002, 00:19
Jimmy,

which of those two knots do you use? i agree with Bobar that the second knot is better for times when one wears hakama; in fact, according to its title on the card that's how it's named ("hakama-shita no musubi-kata"). the first knot is (as far as i understand it) for times when you don't wear a hakama, i.e. kimono alone. that first knot doesn't lie flat enough to accommodate a hakama, in my experience anyway. a very useful post, Jimmy!

JimmyCrow
22nd January 2002, 03:55
Jeff

I used to tie my obi like the first knot but I found that it would work its way loose eventually. I began to tie it the way I tied the bow on the front of my hakama and have found that this knot never comes loose (and holds my koshiita up as well).

I have worn my obi tied in this fashion under my hakama while taking ukemi during aikido and never had any problem with it coming loose. I wanted to attach a picture of this bow earlier but was to lazy to take the pictures. Here they are now and they should be pretty self explanatory.

Good Luck tying those obis:smilejapa

Jeff Hamacher
22nd January 2002, 05:47
Jimmy,

ah, yes, the ol' hako-musubi, i.e. "box knot". i use that one for kimono. simple and effective, just as it should be. thanks again for all the hard work on the posted images!

Eric Baluja
24th January 2002, 11:51
Dear friends,

I can't for the life of me figure out what's going on in drawings 6 through 10 of "hakama-shita no musubi-kata" (the 2nd method illustrated in the 1st image that Mr. Crow posted). If anyone has the time or interest, I'd be very appreciative.

Thank you very very much!

Eric Baluja

Eric Baluja
24th January 2002, 19:39
Excellent, thank you!

Eric Baluja