PDA

View Full Version : Info about Uechi Ryu

Leonidas
21st January 2002, 17:16
:wave: :cool: :D Whats up everyone. This is a cool forum. Anyways I'm new here, some people may know me from the KFO Forum. My question is can someone give me some general info' about Uechi Ryu Karate? I've been to just about every site for it and the only thing i get is the location of a dojo and some history. Can you explain what the training is like, how does it generate power, how is offense and defense handled, and what other karate styles does it resemble. I know it's alot of questions but answers will be appreciated

~Stanley North~

Joseph Svinth
21st January 2002, 19:19
For background, you might find a copy of Mark Bishop's book, "Okinawan Karate." It's only $18 or so, and available through Amazon.com, B&N, etc.

For technical discussions, try the articles and forums at http://www.uechi-ryu.com .

Leonidas
22nd January 2002, 05:52
Thanx but i've already been referred to that site. I'll check out the book, but is there no information you can post about it??

~Stanley North~

Joseph Svinth
22nd January 2002, 06:53
For information about Bishop's book, check the reviews at Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk . As for Mattson's website, it isn't all that big, and if you skim rapidly through the everyday dojo chatter on the forums, then it doesn't take more than a couple hours to read the site front to back.

Jabonn
22nd January 2002, 12:11
Mr. North,

Can you explain what the training is like, , The best advice I have just step into a Uechi Dojo.

what other karate styles does it resemble. Goju-ryu would be a sister style to Uechi-ryu.

how is offense and defense handled Low front snap kicks, with powerful hand strikes. We utilize circle blocks instead of hard linear blocks.

If you are looking for better information about Uechi-ryu, I suggest Alan Dollars' Book "Secrets of Uechi Ryu and Mysteries of Okinawa". You will find all your questions answered within this book. Please visit his website for information and to order the book. Uechi-ryu Kenyukia (http://www.alandollar.com).

Jabonn Flurry