PDA

View Full Version : Kyokushinkai

Ishinguy
22nd January 2002, 23:42
Could someone please give me abreakdown on how to pronounce
Kyokushinkai . It would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Nick Barrett :toast:

Nathan Scott
23rd January 2002, 18:23
I'll give it a whack:

K-yo-coo-shin-k-eye

The "k"s are pronounced hard. I broke the sounds down above, but of course the word is spoken smoothly, not broken up.

The kanji they use is as follows: "Kyo" means best, or none better. "Shin" means serious or true. "Kai" refers to an organization. Kyokusinkai is sometimes loosley translated as "Best Karate".

BTW, for what its worth, I like Kyokushin Karate and Shorinji Kempo the best for striking arts. The exponents of these arts are typically re-born pretty hard - especially the Shorinji-ka.

Have fun,

Ishinguy
23rd January 2002, 19:34
Thanks Nathan, Can I bother you just one more time ? Does the K sound like (key) or Ki (rythming with kite ) .
Thanks for you help. I too like Kyokushinkai , it was one of the styles that the style I practise used as a foundation .
Nick Barrett :toast:

Nathan Scott
23rd January 2002, 21:17
The "k" by itself is both; it is simply "k". By itself is sounds kind of like "kuh".

I'll be your saying it right if you follow the formula I laid out above.

P Goldsbury
23rd January 2002, 21:58
Mr Scott's last answer is quite important, especially if you are talking to a Japanese who knows nothing about karate.

There is no 'i' sound after the k. The initial k and the 'yoku' (as in 'yacht') should not be separated, for 'kiyoku' means the wing of an airplane and 'kioku' means memory.

Homonyms are what makes Japanese interesting. For example, 'hashi' meaning bridge, 'hashi' meaning edge, and 'hashi' meaning chopsticks.

I have discussions with my Japanese colleagues about how these words are pronounced (they are all different) which makes discussing the meaning of ki quite transparent by comparison.

Best regards,

Ishinguy
26th January 2002, 23:27
Thanks guys, I think I have it now !
Nick Barrett:toast: