PDA

View Full Version : Coming to Grips

CEB
24th January 2002, 20:10
Since returning to Judo after my large layoff (15 years), I’ve noticed during uchikomi that my kuzushi seems stronger for throws to the front and front corner (ie Ippon Seionage Harai Goshi ect…) when I do them left handed instead of right handed. 15 years ago I did everything right handed. We did left hand uchikomi but I always used right hand grips exclusively during randori. I assume that my left hand kuzushi is stronger because the kuzushi is coming from the right hand pull and my right arm is stronger.

I’m going to start using left handed grip during randori. All my training partners seem to always hook up with right hand grips. My question is: When you go for a left hand grip and you opponent goes for a right handed hook up, do imbalances created by non symmetrical gripping methods increase the volatility of the situation? Is the degree of allowable error smaller and does it become more important to be quick on the grip if you go for a reverse grip? Have a good day.

Ed Boyd

PeteBoyes
24th January 2002, 23:54
Whole books have been written on the pros and cons of various grips. My only advice is to get a grip you are happy with, and make sure that your opponent is not allowed to get his favourite or most comfortable grip.

If your opponent is unhappy in not getting his favourite grip then he'll naturally be off-balance.

Ben_Holmes
25th January 2002, 01:32
The Japanese study every throw two different ways, one with ai-yotsu (same grip) and one with kenka-yotsu (opposing grips). You're describing a kenka-yotsu situation. I don't think there's any particular advantage from the grips themselves, but I've always maintained that there is a tremendous advantage to take a left sided grip and throw to the left side.

Most right-handers have no idea what to do against a left-hander, and the left-handers rarely face another left-hander, so they don't know either!! Also, the attacks are actually better, for example, most right handers have their right foot somewhat forward, and their left foot is back. So when a right hander attacks with Osotogari, for example, he's attacking the lead foot, that doesn't necessarily have much weight on it. Whereas the left hander will *naturally* attack the right hander's rear leg. Same holds true for many other techniques. (hmmm... come to think of it, I never did develop a left sided Ouchigari... wonder why?:) )

Also fun to play with, are left sided throws taken with a right grip. I won my shodan back in the 70's when I took first place at the All Marine Corps tournament, and perhaps 50% or more of my victories were with Sode Tsurikomigoshi... which is the only throw that naturally goes to the left from a right hand grip. It's also fun to do Ippon Seoinage with a right hand grip... take your left (sleeve hand) and swing it *under* your right hand lapel grip... as you turn into a left sided seoinage.

http://www.bestjudo.com

MarkF
25th January 2002, 10:31
Going to your knees on the switch-up creates more opportunity, as well. Sometimes, you may be able to avoid loading uke and just bring the left arm of uke over your shoulder.

I wonder why you didn't learn a lefty o uchi gari, too, Ben. I never really developed one, but I did find myself using it when coming back from a failed right handed shoulder throw. It... it... was just...there I found one afternoon. I also found a left-side o soto gari was just there, too, basically the same way. I was cranky because I couldn't throw the guy with an attack, and it just became a natural conversion from there.

I was much stronger (muscle-wise) on my left, being a natural left-hander, but had much better technique on my right. Why? I think it is the same thing with boxers. Southpaws leave the strong (left) leg back, and use the right. It then becomes the left hand which must be learned. The right hand has all your natural ability, it seems.

Also, one of the first things taught in wrestling is to leave the strong leg back.

So it just felt right to go "right." To reverse hands feels strange so why change it? Just do what comes natural and sometimes it is going to be from where one least expects it. These days, though, I find myself going for both sides on the lapels as I favor rear reaping throws/leg hooking ones instead of the shoulder throws and other front loading/sweeping throws (harai goshi, etc.).

Mark

CEB
26th January 2002, 02:49
"The Japanese study every throw two different ways, one with ai-yotsu (same grip) and one with kenka-yotsu (opposing grips). You're describing a kenka-yotsu situation. I don't think there's any particular advantage from the grips themselves, but I've always maintained that there is a tremendous advantage to take a left sided grip and throw to the left side. "

Thanks for the termnology lesson. My word kata isn't what it should be. Last night I couldn't see any advantage from gripping kenka yotsu. It seemed to make my training partners as well as myself less confortable. We were given time to practice our favorite techniques in class and Harai Goshi sure felt good on the left side. I'll defintely keep working left side in randori.

"It's also fun to do Ippon Seoinage with a right hand grip... take your left (sleeve hand) and swing it *under* your right hand lapel grip... "

That is cool. thanks. Also thanks for your web site. It has been a big help.

"I find myself going for both sides on the lapels as I favor rear reaping throws/leg hooking ones instead of the shoulder throws and other front loading/sweeping throws (harai goshi, etc.). "

Can this grip help set one for Ryote Jime. Or perhaps go for the standing choke unsettling your opponent then drop hands down the collar grip and throw ?

Ed Boyd