PDA

View Full Version : Lower abs breathing and areas of stun !

popupsoldier
24th January 2002, 20:20
Dear members,

Reading more about documented experiences on combat, a whole range of interesting issues has come up, law, attitude, dynamics and human reactions.

If it's OK with you guys, what are your thoughts on:

(a) breathing into your lower abdomen. Does it really work - in reducing heart rates? How does it really compare when not breathing into lower ab? Boxers do the same? Any stats/facts/references?

(b) the pre-emptive strike and it's effectiveness when hitting certain areas? What do you think is effective? A strike to the throat - what damage does it cause (worst case)? A strike to the neck - apparently stuns people, but does it really?

Look forward to some interesting responses!

Tim Oldham :wave:

(How about the update for E-Budo ha ! Let's hear it for Mr John Linsey ! clap clap clap clap)

Steve Williams
24th January 2002, 23:00
Originally posted by popupsoldier
[B] (b) the pre-emptive strike and it's effectiveness when hitting certain areas? What do you think is effective? A strike to the throat - what damage does it cause (worst case)? A strike to the neck - apparently stuns people, but does it really?

Pre-emptive strikes are extremely effective..... very difficult from a legal point of view to justify though "Well your honour, I knew that he was going to hit me, so I hit him first........... ........ ........No he did not try to hit me but I could tell he was going to...... ........Well I have been training a long time.... ........ No I can't read minds....... ...... But I could tell......." etc......

Strike to the throat.... worst case, crush the windpipe?

Strike to the neck.... WILL STUN.... as you cause a momentary interruption of the blood supply to the brain (you hit the carotid artery)..... worst case, he will not get up again.

No I do not have any medical training, but this is (very basically) what I have picked up over the years...... (there is more, but I will let those with more medical experience explain).

popupsoldier
25th January 2002, 00:27
Pre-emptive strikes are extremely effective..... very difficult from a legal point of view to justify though "Well your honour, I knew that he was going to hit me, so I hit him first........... ........ ........No he did not try to hit me but I could tell he was going to...... ........Well I have been training a long time.... ........ No I can't read minds....... ...... But I could tell......." etc......

Thanks Mr Williams - but could you argue that (for instance) the guy was huge, you feared for your safety? Would it be easier to justify if you were a small guy :eek: being approached in the wrong way by a big guy :mad: ?

Any legal experts?

Mr Moderator - have I put this question in the right place ?

Tim Oldham:wave:

NoMan
25th January 2002, 07:27
Originally posted by popupsoldier
Dear members,

Reading more about documented experiences on combat, a whole range of interesting issues has come up, law, attitude, dynamics and human reactions.

If it's OK with you guys, what are your thoughts on:

(a) breathing into your lower abdomen. Does it really work - in reducing heart rates? How does it really compare when not breathing into lower ab? Boxers do the same? Any stats/facts/references?

(b) the pre-emptive strike and it's effectiveness when hitting certain areas? What do you think is effective? A strike to the throat - what damage does it cause (worst case)? A strike to the neck - apparently stuns people, but does it really?

Look forward to some interesting responses!

Tim Oldham :wave:

(How about the update for E-Budo ha ! Let's hear it for Mr John Linsey ! clap clap clap clap)

Lower ab breathing is useful, in that most humans only use the upper part of their lungs for breathing. What's wrong with this is the densest vascular network in your lungs is in the lower portion of your lungs, meaning, you aren't getting enough oxygen if you use "top lung" breathing methods. "Lower belly breathing" will generally lower your blood pressure because you are now getting more oxygen, so the heart doesn't have to pump as hard to get oxygen to needed areas. Same thing with taking in short, hard breaths through the nose really fast, your blood pressure will rise up.

Striking someone in the throat will kill them. If you hit someone in the throat, (outside of being prepared for possible assault - attempted murder charges), you should probably punch them in it. The greater area of force means more distribution of the force, meaning less chance of the throat collapsing. Even if you do punch them and they don't die, the throat might swell, and the following substances in the throat, blood, phlegm, bile, lymphatic fluid, may go into the lungs and cause asphyxiation, and then you are again, going to be facing legal problems.