PDA

View Full Version : Tying hamaka

Jmendenhall
25th January 2002, 00:48
Hi!!

I'm relatively new to iaido. I am having some trouble with my hamaka. I am not sure that I am tying it right. Could someone describe it to me?

Thanks

David T Anderson
27th January 2002, 03:26
This is really something a senior student in your dojo should be showing you...various traditions do it differently.

For Aikido, I tie the short himo in front in a bow. fairly snug around my hips. Then I raise the front waistband above the bow knot and wind the long himo around me so it goes below the knot, again fairly snugly, without criss-crossing so it looks even and neat. Finally I tie the himo in front with a reef knot that points to my right, and tuck the ends of the himo under where it lies over my hips. The bow knot forms a bit of a 'lump' that prevents the front flap of the hakama from being pulled down too easily.

I should mention that I wear a Bujin iaido obi under the hakama, and the himo tend to hold it neatly in place, and usually hold my katana quite securely...much better than a standard narrow MA obi.

I hope all this makes sense...it's far easier to demonstrate than describe...

Gene Gabel
27th January 2002, 13:04
Originally posted by Jmendenhall
Hi!!

I'm relatively new to iaido. I am having some trouble with my hamaka. I am not sure that I am tying it right. Could someone describe it to me?

Thanks
>>>
As stated earlier you need instruction from your instructors not us.
There is tradition in the tying,wearing and folding of the hakama that is specific to the style of Iai that you study. All of this is part of the Iai training. Folding that hakama needs its own video, It is a complicated as the tying

Good Luck
Gene Gabel

RJR
23rd February 2002, 16:12
Hi.
Look at BUJIN DESING home page.Here are one way tying the hakama.

Risto Ruottinen