PDA

View Full Version : Judogi-ology 101

Scanderson
27th January 2002, 01:24
I am getting tired of washing my blood stained (from knuckles) sweat soaked Gi after every practice. I only have one, as I am fairly new to Judo. In wrestling, the singlets wash and dry quite easily. Not so with the Judogi. Cold water wash and hang dry.

Do most of you folks have two or more judogis? I am thinking of getting a second - that way I can wash two together once and have a fresh judogi for each class. This will save water as well.

Now, the reason I am posting is I would like some shopping advice. I do this for fun and exercise, so I don't think I need a "Rolls Royce" judogi, like a Mizuno. However, what should I look for in a reasonably priced judogi?

I currently have an HSU Single Weave, and it seems nice and hardy and of good quality. Does anyone have a particular favorite they would like to comment on? Or perhaps some of the journeymen in this forum would be willing to share their brand preferences? There are alot of brands and price ranges out there. My real reason for wanting a second is for convenience - are most judogis all about the same, with the exception of the high end brands. Or do you get what you pay for, like with shoes?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or recommendations.

Stephen C. Anderson

BtC
27th January 2002, 03:04
Thanks for the reminder, I gotta get the blood out of my white gi!

I use toraki. I use the blue label ($100 canadian) and the white label ($80 canadian. They are nice and thick (especially the blue), well the white is a bit thin, if a thick gi is a must, get a bronze ($120 canadian), silver ($150 canadian, I think), silverblue ($190 canadian, I think) or a gold ($190 canadian, I think). Check out www.toraki.com

Bloodly knuckles arent very common at my dojo (mabey we take it too easy on each other) I wash my gis about once every 1-4 classes. Since I cant wash my blue and white gis together I use one gi while the other is in the wash.

Can I suggest getting a blue gi - blood doesnt show up as much on them so it isnt the end of the world when you miss a wash.

Conner Bond

MarkF
27th January 2002, 10:27
Originally posted by Scanderson
...Or do you get what you pay for, like with shoes?

It depends more upon your needs than anything else, but yes it can be the above, too.

Questions: Do you fight a lot in shiai? Do you ever fight in shiai? Is it just for use in the class, say, mainly for randori, and what is your price range?

Lots of shiai, in class or out: A heavy double knit will last longer. How you are washing the dogi now is exactly what most manufacturers/distributors recommend, but generally only if you have the natural cotton color and want to retain it for a long time. Otherwise, washing and drying by machine is all right as long as you allow for shrinkage, and don't mind the brighter white.

If shiai is restricted or it is just done in the dojo, then Tiger Claw and Budo Brand are excellent choices. Up until last year, I used one of each, and I bought the budo brand in the early 1970s and the Tiger Claw in the sixties. The pant needs a lot of darning/patching, or you can purchase those as the need arises. They are not very expensive. But the quality may have changed. Back then, they were not nearly as thick is those worn by fighters today, but they held up through nineteen years of shiai, and then some.

Mizuno is the brand I bought last year. A single weave is plenty heavy for dojo use (nearly that of the Budo Brand I used when on the shiai circuit. My problem is that they shrink in the closet all by themselves.;) )

I would recommend the Mizuno single weave above the others. When you get into doubleweave the price goes up dramatically, and if you don't fight a lot, it is perfect for the dojo. I've found it retains the original stiffness, especially in the lapels after repeated washings. I am not nearly as active as I was, but I bought mine on recommendation from someone and it has held up nicely. It can cost from about 65.00 to 80.00 US, a little more if you need an extra obi, but if you need something other than white, you can dye the one it comes with. I did get a wider belt, but at the same size four, it is shorter than the narrower size four. It too, has begun to shrink in the closet (I've got to stop washing down my vitamins with chocolate milk and donuts).

The Mizuno doubles can cost three hundred US, so it is not a good choice. At any rate, the single, with an extra belt, and shipping can keep you under one-hundred dollars (and to think my first dogi cost $11.00 US).

Hope this helps some.

Mark

Scanderson
27th January 2002, 14:08
Thanks for the tips. I checked out the Toraki site and I like what they are doing. They offer a reasonably priced judogi while incorporating some custom fitting into the deal. That is rare.

I found some "Gi" talk over at another site and there was mention of a company called U.S. Sports International that offers a heavy looking double weave in sizes 4-6 for US$60! That is quite inexpensive - I paid more than that for my original HSU single weave. Wonder how good the quality is? I notice that you can get a HSU double weave jacket only in the $60-70 range ($85-90 with pants). Not bad. I might stick with HSU.

So many brands: Mizuno, HSU, Adidas, Fuji, Century, Golden Tiger, US, Sakura, Dragon, AMAS, Tiger Claw, Pro-Force, AWMA, Ronin, GMAS, Lion, Mitsuboshi, Kwon, Swain, Toraki, Bear, Sinchi...

Thanks again for your comments regarding your preferences. It would be nice to someday put up a "judogi" comparison chart on the net...comparing prices, cotton weights, etc.

Stephen C. Anderson

BtC
27th January 2002, 15:08
The fujis are pretty good too. But the new ones have that god auful fuji symbol on the back.

Conner Bond

Steven Malanosk
27th January 2002, 15:45
Try Honda in NYC.

They have $$$$$$$$$ Gi's and the real good and reasonably priced Lion Brand, which comes in, narural, white, or black.

Teaching JuJitsu and Karate, we wear the Black JuDoGi at times.

It does not show blood or dirt, and the white sweat marks tell when its time to wash.

The stench alert will tell your dojo mates when to tell you to wash also!:eek:

Seriously, Honda has lots of Gi's, is customer friendly and has been around longer than the majority of you, so you cant go wrong!

They give a decent instructor discount also!

www.hondamartialarts.com

Aaron T. Fields
27th January 2002, 20:00
I'm a Mizuno-man myself. I have several singles and several doubles. On a suggestion I will try a Toraki next time. I would suggest having more than one, especially if you practice more than a couple of times a week.

Neil Yamamoto
28th January 2002, 08:51
I have a stack of gi, and I wear them as the occasion suits. For grappling, I wear a judo gi or a heavy karate gi. For the the aiki stuff or when I'm just teaching and not working hard, I wear an old ratty gi so I impress the juniors on the mat into thinking I know something.

I seriously suggest having at least 2-3 gi. My suggestion, check around and see if any of the thrift stores have any gi. If not, then go ahead and splurge on another gi or two in the next few months. It's well worth the cost if you really want to train.

MarkF
28th January 2002, 09:32
I ditto what Neil says, with one caveat. Watch for pants which may look great but are ready to fall apart. 'Tis better to find one patched as you know where it will not come apart. Give then a tug in the places people are likely to grip/grab. The seat of the pants and the knee pads, just above or below, are the areas of most wear. Not only is sitting or seiza wearing, but the rear gets grabbed a lot in many different osaekomi waza.

In thrifts, then, look mainly for the uwagi. The pant is cheap enough, but the jacket isn't. I used to go through three pairs of pants before my uwagi ever showed any significant wear at all. I still have uwagi I had as a teen (can't fit into them anymore but that was some thirty or more years ago).

Everything begins to sag after a while, and while Neil is a heavyweight in the muscle category, gravity play jokes on all of us, eventually.

Get one at a time are get three. Either way, they do wear, but it is cheaper to get them now instead of waiting for the new one down the road.

I recently got my driver's license removed. I was a bit stunned when the lady asked if I wanted a four year or eight year. There was no discount for eight years, but you know in four years they will have gone up a lot. I got the eight year one.

You may want to choose dogi the same way: Cost down the road, even if you buy expensive now. They will be higher and like death, taxes, and sex, it may be the only thing you do in your life well.:)

Mark

dakotajudo
29th January 2002, 22:37
Originally posted by Neil Yamamoto

I seriously suggest having at least 2-3 gi. My suggestion, check around and see if any of the thrift stores have any gi. If not, then go ahead and splurge on another gi or two in the next few months. It's well worth the cost if you really want to train.

In that vein, check eBay. I've bought a couple blue Atama gis that way, double weave, for about $60 each (regularly 125-150). Nearly new - I think one was washed and worn once before the original owner found it didn't fit.

samuraibill
12th December 2005, 03:40
I have used a judo star since I started in judo about 6 years ago. They are very good.

Starkjudo
12th December 2005, 05:27
I've got a Judo star, a few toraki, and a brand called Ikon, that my instructor sells (shill moment here) It's a great gi at a comparative price to the major brands. Most of my uniforms i've taken care of over the years and ahve not dealt with major ripping or tearing at seams.

MikeWilliams
12th December 2005, 10:18
On the subject of washing:

I have found that the "cold was, hang dry" method really isn't necessary afer the first few washes. Once the gi has done its shrinking from those, you can just stick it in the machine on a warm wash, and in the dryer on a cool/medium dry.

I wash mine after every class, and have never had a problem with machine washing/drying.

MarkF
12th December 2005, 11:42
Hey, Mike,

My teacher told all new students, which he said to everyone when a new student was there, "Wash it in the code water, hang dry in bath two days."

There seemed to be two reasons for it. One was to retain the natural color of the cotton, the other was durability so as not ever having to buy a new one. He wore the same dogi as long as I knew him, and it always looked brand new.

But yeah, I got tired of that, too, and washed it until it was a shiny white color. The funny thing about old judogi as the longer you have them, the more they return to that funny, yellow color when they were new.

Sweat and blood co-mingling seems to be the cause. Not washing it at all does the same thing.;)

Mark

Charlie Mc.
12th December 2005, 14:27
Try Honda in NYC.

They have $$$$$$$$$ Gi's and the real good and reasonably priced Lion Brand, which comes in, narural, white, or black.

Teaching JuJitsu and Karate, we wear the Black JuDoGi at times.

It does not show blood or dirt, and the white sweat marks tell when its time to wash.

The stench alert will tell your dojo mates when to tell you to wash also!:eek:

Seriously, Honda has lots of Gi's, is customer friendly and has been around longer than the majority of you, so you cant go wrong!

They give a decent instructor discount also!

www.hondamartialarts.com

These guys were running a special for a while. Got a Kodokan brand double weave for 14 dollars. Couldn't believe the price. It is now the gi i wear all the time. Nice and durable have had no problems. Don't know if that special is still going on, but check it out.
One thing though, the sizing was a little funky, if you normally wear a 5 then order a 4 if you get the kodokan brand.

Michael Pitaro
13th December 2005, 23:54
Do most of you folks have two or more judogis? I am thinking of getting a second - that way I can wash two together once and have a fresh judogi for each class. This will save water as well.

Now, the reason I am posting is I would like some shopping advice. I do this for fun and exercise, so I don't think I need a "Rolls Royce" judogi, like a Mizuno. However, what should I look for in a reasonably priced judogi?

Am I the only one who read "Rolls Royce" and didn't immediately think of a car? Anyways I got a single weave size six blue gi in the $50 range via instructor discount at the martial arts supply store. I was thinking of getting a reversable gi too but they're more expensive and I heard they don't fit as well. My advice would be if you already have a white gi, look into buying a blue gi.

Personally I get annoyed at having to play with someone whos gi is so thick that getting a grip is nearly impossable. For those that have these gis do they feel more comfortable on you than the thinner variety? Are you only wearing them for the competitive advantage?

jonesm20
14th December 2005, 00:27
I just buy the cheapest ones I can find and warm wash, bleach 'em and dry on high heat until they die. I wash after every practice, 3 times a week. They last about 8-9 months, but they are cheap, so who cares!

I like a clean gi and I'm not patient!

Tim Mailloux
23rd December 2005, 17:56
I get all my clothing and weapons from the Kiyota Company in Baltimore Maryland. Mr. Kiyota sells all of the major Gi brands, and he also has his own line of judo Gi. I belive he calls them JK brand. Now I train in aikido, not judo. But I have 5 of his JK brand Judo Gi, and a couple of them are going on 7 years old and are still in great shape. The last time I bought one (several months ago) I belive I paid about $40 for a size 5 judo Gi which included shipping charges.

tddeangelo
24th December 2005, 01:49
I love my 3 Toraki uniforms (one Bronze and two Silver). They WILL wear faster when tumble-dried, but I'm also usually needing to wash it and dry it and not wait for two days for it, so I throw it in the dryer. They hold up very well, although my oldest Silver is 5 years old and on the brink of letting go in a few places. That's surely due to the beating it takes in the dryer. If I'd drip-dry it, it would likely still look like new.

Many of my fellow Danzan Ryu practitioners wear Mizuno, but the single-weaves.

BTW- Toraki has some "dojo grade" (or some such name) gi that are very modestly priced. If your instructor(or if you teach, you) emails them, they'll give you "club pricing", which gives great discounts on some products, but not all.

Coyne
24th December 2005, 03:42
I find it funny that you mention honda martial arts because I went to honda about two weeks ago, I looked at their books.The store is actually very small, the owner was very nice.

MarkF
25th December 2005, 11:57
Am I the only one who read "Rolls Royce" and didn't immediately think of a car? Anyways I got a single weave size six blue gi in the $50 range via instructor discount at the martial arts supply store. I was thinking of getting a reversable gi too but they're more expensive and I heard they don't fit as well. My advice would be if you already have a white gi, look into buying a blue gi.

Personally I get annoyed at having to play with someone whos gi is so thick that getting a grip is nearly impossable. For those that have these gis do they feel more comfortable on you than the thinner variety? Are you only wearing them for the competitive advantage?

No, you aren't the only one who thought of a car, you are just the only one to comment about it. :p

I have a single weave Mizuno, too. I also considered the double, but I was amazed at the thickness of the single. I got it because my old ones seemed to shrink in the closet, then I lost the weight and had to get a size smaller after buying another one in the larger size (you might think a size four is small, but even after washing and shrinking, it seemed to drown me in cotton), so I had to go back to a three. When I competed, I wore a two, so there you go.

Mark

samuraibill
31st December 2005, 09:58
I have been look around and I think I am going to get me a fuji. They are getting good reps from people I know, what the heck. I am going to try and get the people in my dojo to get one also because Hatashita will give wholesale pricing with you order 5 on gis. Then the rpice goes from good the excellent.