PDA

View Full Version : Looking for middleweight, black, 100% cotton gi

Siper2
28th January 2002, 15:57
Hello all. :) I'm in the market for a medium-weight, 100% cotton gi in black for my Kenpo. I've looked everywhere, with no luck in my searches. My first stop was with my sensei at home in New England (I'm currently living in the midwest for a few months); obviously I'd rather buy through him to support the school. He said Internet order would be faster though, and recommended KI or RheeMax, two brands he carries.
(Both are high-quality gis, too.)

Well, I tried RheeMax (took forever to get an answer out of a reseller, since their homepage seems to be down). Seems the only middleweights are 50/50 cotton/polyester though. Not what I want.
Cotton is better for sweat absorption and comfort, as I'm sure most of you know. KI has lots of different gis, but none seem to really be middleweight, unless I'm missing something. Also, prices are kind of high. $120 or whatever is too steep for a gi, in my eyes. I'm not a grandmaster looking for "the ultimate" or anything. :D

All I need is a black gi, somewhere in the 8-9 oz. weight range I guess (???), with a fairly long jacket. I hate short jackets. They seem pointless to me. If anyone can offer help, I'd appreciate it. No emergency. :)

-CJ Seipt
Kenpo (3rd Brown)
Brazilian Jiu-jutsu (white)

Blackthorne
29th January 2002, 02:02
I didn't look anywhere else, but a quick browse at awma.com found me this: Black Karate Dogi (http://www.awma.com/index.cfm/action/productdetail/product_id/7233.htm). You could also try Sakura-0.com (http://www.sakura-0.com) .

Best wishes,

Siper2
29th January 2002, 17:20
I should've mentioned earlier that I knew about AWMA but haven't looked in their catalog recently. Funny thing is that I went on a gi-buying binge many years ago (I started Kenpo in '89, went through '95 or so... then stopped and restarted in 2000). I bought a heavyweight (14oz.) Pine Tree in black and a 10 oz. white cotton/poly. The 14oz. is nice, but too heavy for regular workouts. More of a "special event" kind of thing (tournaments, pictures....) I never wear the white one though. Must've had money burning a hole in my pocket or something... :rolleyes:

But it's black that I wear in Kenpo class. My lightweight is all that I ever wear, and it's falling apart, thus my search. The 10 oz. I have is a bit heavy, but then again it isn't all cotton either (which would soften better). I was never a big fan of ProForce/AWMA stuff, but it's not bad.... Things like Century seem to have a poor fit and feel, to me.

I did remember KWON yesterday and they have one that might do, but thanks for the link to Sakura. I guess all I'm looking for are recommendations on a decently-priced, but comfortable and high-quality gi. There's lots of junky ones out there!

-CJ Seipt

John Lindsey
29th January 2002, 17:26
I have been using a black gi from Bujin Designs for the past year. It is probably one of the best I have ever owned. They can even custom cut it to your size. It does get pricey... I paid around $150 for a set but it has been worth it.

Siper2
29th January 2002, 17:32
Yeah that's the thing, $150 is steep for a middleweight. Custom cut is nice but I don't really need it, a size 5 is usually all-around perfect for me (5'11", about 200 lbs.).

If it were cheaper I'd consider it, since I'm a big advocate of small-business products...

-CJS

29th January 2002, 17:43
This is a great Wholesaler up in NJ I think they carry ProForce, KI, PineTree I think too. Great prices...
http://www.martialartssupermarket.com/

Also, there are some good gis in here...
Check out Black Gi from Ronin...
http://www.jiujitsuconnection.com/

Siper2
31st January 2002, 12:46
Thank you much for the links. :) I'm checking out the Jiu-jutsu connection one right now.

So far, that Sakura-O site has one that might do... I also like doshinmartialarts.com ... they have some great stuff.... they sell Toyo gis, which seem to me to be some of the best around, but too pricey and they're heavyweights. But they also sell Juka and Dragon--I think the Dragon division has middleweights, but I can't find a picture yet.

Keep the help coming, if you guys know of more. :)

-CJ Seipt

Robert Krone
31st January 2002, 14:20
From my experience I would suggest Hayashi brand gi's. They advertise their gi's are as good as Tokaido yet at a lower price. So far I've done a lot of grappling and the top is still in one piece.

Siper2
31st January 2002, 17:04
Thanks, I'll look them up. :)

Hopefully it's a LOT cheaper than Tokaido....!!!!

-CJ Seipt

Shitoryu Dude
1st February 2002, 17:37
I go to Superfoots.com for uniforms. They carry black and white middle and heavyweight gi. For those of us who take different sizes pants and jacket, they sell them seperately. I just bought two sets a month ago - cost with shipping was around $145.
:beer: