PDA

View Full Version : Gilbert James (Yoshinkan Aikido)

Steven Miranda
28th January 2002, 19:52
Posted with permission of Kevin Bradley
----------------------------------------

To our Aikido brother and sisters:

On behalf of the Midwest Yoshinkan Aikido, Seigokan Dojo and all its students, I write to you today seeking your prayers and support. Gilbert James Sensei, Yoshinkan 6th, is gravely ill and will soon be leaving us. For those of you who do not know of James Sensei, here a brief biography.

Gilbert James started his study of Aikido in 1961 under the guidance of Robert Cramer, a US Navy Lt. Commander who was taught by the late Yukio Noguchi, Yoshinkan 7th dan. Gilbert was one of the founding fathers of the Midwest Yoshinkan Aikido Organization in Chicago, IL. This organization was the first of it's kind to be recognized by the Yoshinkan Aikido Foundation in Tokyo, Japan. In 1990, the MWYA was given the name Seigokan by the late Gozo Shioda Sensei after joining the International Yoshinkan Aikido Federation established by Shioda Sensei. In addition, only one other has studied and taught Yoshinkan Aikido in North America longer than Gilbert. Gilbert is only one of two Americans, who did not train in Japan, to have been granted the rank of Rokudan in Yoshinkan Aikido.

In March of this year, in celebration and honor of all Gilbert has done for the growth of Aikido, Kyoichi Inoue, Yoshinkan Dojocho, will be making a special trip to Chicago, IL to visit with Gilbert and to teach at the Seigokan dojo. We realize this is short notice, however, Inoue Sensei made this decision after hearing of Gilberts illness and wanted to come as soon as he could.

The Seigokan dojo would like to invite any and all Aikidoka to join them and Inoue Sensei in honor and celebration of Gilbert James Sensei's many years of dedication to Aikido. Your prayers, participation or any kind of support you can provide is greatly appreciated. The Seigokan is a small but dedicated group of Aikidoist and will do whatever it takes to make this happen. There is no cost at this time and the Seigokan will take whatever donation you would like to make.

For further information, please contact Kevin Bradley via email at: aikidorat@email.msn.com . Please also watch http://www.seikeikan.com/2002events.htm for more information on the March clinic.

On a personal note, I have never met Gilbert in person, however I have spoken with him several times on the phone and via e-mail. His openness, humor and stories of the GOOD OLD DAYS have always been a wonderful treat.

Thank you for your time, prayers and support ...

Respectfully yours, on behalf and support of our brothers and sisters in Chicago,

Steven Miranda, Seikeikan (IYAF)
Aikido Yoshinkan Sacramento
http://www.seikeikan.com

"USA Aikido Yoshinkan Seiseikai Gateway"

CC: Kevin Bradley, Midwest Yoshinkan Aikido

Yamantaka
29th January 2002, 11:00
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Steven Miranda
[B]Posted with permission of Kevin Bradley
----------------------------------------
To our Aikido brother and sisters:

On behalf of the Midwest Yoshinkan Aikido, Seigokan Dojo and all its students, I write to you today seeking your prayers and support. Gilbert James Sensei, Yoshinkan 6th, is gravely ill and will soon be leaving us.

YAMANTAKA : May he have a peaceful and quiet passing. I'm sure he will live on in his students' and friends' memories.

Steven Miranda
26th February 2002, 20:25
Forwarded on behalf of Mid-West Yoshinkan Aikido

To: The Aikido community and friends

----- Original Message -----
To: <aysdojo@s...>
Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2002 12:10 PM
Subject: Gilbert

Steven:

Please pass on the attached to the Yoshinkan world:

At approximately 1:30 p.m. today, Tuesday, February 26, Sensei Gilbert
James passed away. Sensei James, who had been battling cancer, had
dedicated the past 40 years of his life to Yoshinkan Aikido and sharing his knowledge with countless students. He has touched many of our lives beyond the art and will be missed. Sensei James requested that he be cremated and details of his memorial will be forthcoming.

On behalf of the Midwest Yoshinkai Aikido Association and the James family, I want to thank the many of you who have shared kind words and wishes to Sensei James during his struggle. Please continue to think of him when you are training. By doing so, you will make him smile as he makes corrections to our techniques from a better place.

Kevin Bradley

Personal Note:

Tonight's class at the Seikeikan will be dedicated to Gilbert. Tonight we will have his image at our shomen. I hope the rest of you will join us in honoring one of Yoshinkan's early pioneers in North America.

"USA Aikido Yoshinkan Seiseikai Gateway"

Ron Tisdale
26th February 2002, 20:38
My condolences to the family, friends, and students of Gibert James.
Osu!
Ron Tisdale

Yamantaka
26th February 2002, 21:16
Originally posted by Steven Miranda
Forwarded on behalf of Mid-West Yoshinkan Aikido
To: The Aikido community and friends
----- Original Message -----

At approximately 1:30 p.m. today, Tuesday, February 26, Sensei Gilbert
James passed away.

YAMANTAKA : May he now, finally, become ONE WITH THE UNIVERSE
Sincerely