PDA

View Full Version : Google still the best?

John Lindsey
30th January 2002, 06:49
Google is my default search website. Anything else out there that offers a better search or options?

Joseph Svinth
30th January 2002, 20:26
I've heard good things about Mamma.com, but I use Google myself. The caches are nice, as they show changes or let you in when the site is otherwise down.

MarkF
31st January 2002, 12:38
You can also use it to find otherwise discontinued, or old pages/sites. It is hard to beat, especially since other search engines use Google themselves when info isn't available to them any other way.

That says a LOT about Google (I saw that in an article about search engines. The article sited Google as "far and away the best search engine."

Mark

Neil Hawkins
1st February 2002, 01:05
I'm with Mark and Joe, Google is still the best in my book. I used to use others depending on what I was looking for, but most of the search engines are now owned or operated by the same people, or use the same engine and so they are less useful.

I have yet to not find what I was looking for using Google.

Regards

Neil

Neil Yamamoto
1st February 2002, 01:33
I gotta agree, the only other sites that come close in my opinion are:
Northern light- it covers a bigger chunk of the internet like Google
Momma.com - decent as Joe says.
DogPile - does a comparable job to momma.
C-4 - does a good job since it scans other search engines including Alta Vista.

But google is still the first choice I use for searching for anything.

Besides, any search engine that can turn up "The true blue roo poo company" is just to cool for school. The perfect gift for someone who has it all.

http://www.roopooco.com/index.htm

Neil Hawkins
1st February 2002, 01:57
I like the bit where they say "we guarantee our product's shit, or your money back."

I have to wonder what you were searching for to come across that place.

Neil

Neil Yamamoto
1st February 2002, 02:41
I was either looking up information on Aussie wine, specifically Rosemont Estates and Alice Spring wineries, or on Aussie outdoor gear. Don't remember which, but it came up as one of the links.

I'm going to get some and next time I'm on the mats and someone tells me they are going to bet the @&*% out of me, I'll give them a bottle of roo poo.

Neil Hawkins
1st February 2002, 03:13
Rosemount have some passable wines, but the ones from the Alice Springs Winery (Chateau Hornsby) somewhat resemble the other waste product you could get out of a Kangeroo. I am reliably informed that it makes a passable substitute for turpentine in the stripping of paint.

A funny story, the winery, about 30kms from Alice Springs itself, has an annual tasting of the new vintages (although vintage is a relative term as far as they are concerned) that the whole town attends, primarily because it is something to do, excitement comes hard in the outback!

The operators learnt very quickly that they had to have a beer tent, lots of tents actually as a few thousand people attend, and the temperature in the shade is around 38 celcius. The only way that the locals (aside from the ones that already sniff petrol) can taste the wine is big mouthful of favourite cold beer, small sip of wine, big mouthful of cold beer.

Obviously the day is a complete success, with about a hundred times more beer than wine sold. The only reason the wine is sold at all (IMO) is because people get too drunk to know what they are doing and would buy a jar of kangeroo shit if you offered it to them!

Regards

Neil

Jeff Hamacher
1st February 2002, 04:38
Originally posted by Neil Hawkins
... but the ones from the Alice Springs Winery (Chateau Hornsby) somewhat resemble the other waste product you could get out of a Kangeroo. I am reliably informed that it makes a passable substitute for turpentine in the stripping of paint.
watch out, Neil, or pretty soon this whole thread is going to disintegrate into a Monty Python trade-a-line Fest!

i've almost always used Yahoo out of habit, but thanks for the info on Google. i suppose i'd seen the name out there but just never gotten around to giving it a spin.