PDA

View Full Version : Sensei Otake's Books

Jimmy Francoeur
1st February 2002, 14:00
Hi Everyone!!

For those that this may interest, the book "THE DEITY AND THE SWORD" has been reedited in french. The two books in one volume. I have order my copy but I have note receive it yet. Anyway, if someone is interested, it can be found here:

www.amazon.fr

title: LE SABRE ET LE DIVIN
By: OTAKE

The price should be around 30$ US.
If someone need a litle help with their french, post your question here and I will help.

Have all a nice day and week-end!! :)
Jim

Yamantaka
2nd February 2002, 10:44
Originally posted by Jimmy Francoeur
Hi Everyone!!
For those that this may interest, the book "THE DEITY AND THE SWORD" has been reedited in french. The two books in one volume. I have order my copy but I have note receive it yet. Anyway, if someone is interested, it can be found here:
www.amazon.fr
title: LE SABRE ET LE DIVIN
By: OTAKE
The price should be around 30$ US.
If someone need a litle help with their french, post your question here and I will help.
Have all a nice day and week-end!! :)
Jim

YAMANTAKA : Hello, Jim!
When that title was published in english, there were 3 books.
Is this french version the complete works or just part of it?
Very interested
Ubaldo Castilho de Alcantara
Brazil(Having problems with my signature...)

Jimmy Francoeur
3rd February 2002, 13:38
Hi

Good Question. My guess is this is the complete work, but like I said, I have not receive my book yet (it should bve here by the end of the month). Can somebody post the complete title of the 3 books in english and the number of pages, please? (and if possible a short description of what is cover in each book?)

I know for sure that there is aroud 300 pictures and that the kata of the bokken and the staff are there. The number of pages is aroud 300, but I am not sure). With more information on the previous editions in english and when I will have my book in hand I will tell You more

Have a nice day!:)
Jim

Jimmy Francoeur
13th February 2002, 13:33
Hi

For those that this may interest. I just receive my book Deity and the sword in french from Amazon.fr. Since, I had no reply about what's in the 3 books, it is hard to tell but I think the book I got is only the first volume of Deity and the sword. The book cover Iai-jutsu and bo-jutsu ONLY. I sure hope there will be more.

For those who want this book, don't be intimidated because it is in french, there is very few word in this book (the most part of the book is pictures). By the way, for those who do not practice TSKSR kata I do not think there is much to learn here. I have "learn" most of the tachi iai batto jutsu and the book will serve as a good reminder but I couldn't have learn from the book (there is no timing here like in the best karate books, etc.). Very basic. Anyway, I suggest it anyway.

Have a nice day!!
Jim

fifthchamber
13th February 2002, 14:04
Hello all,
The books titles in English are all the same "The Deity and the Sword" (Volumes 1,2 and 3).
Volume one covers Iai-Jutsu,Bojutsu and a little about the origin of the school and its teachings. (History of Katori Jingu, Origin of 'Tenshin Sho', Lineage/Keizu of the Headmasters, and Teachingsof the school.)
Volume two covers the Kenjutsu sections of the art, Omote no Tachi and Gogyo no Tachi. Also in this volume are sections on the concept of character formation, The theory of the sword, and a little about the practice of In-Yo Gogyo and 'encampment strategy'.
Volume three covers Naginata, and Sojutsu, as well as the second section of the sword techniques here using Ryo-to and Kodachi rather than one sword waza. Also in volume three is a section devoted to Heiho; Kan-ken Futatsu no Koto, Fudo shin, and a section on Esoteric Buddhism and its relevance to the school (Ku-Ji and Ju-Ji are both talked about here). And lastly there is a section on Gunbai Heiho or the ryu's teachings on the use of soldiers and elements in war.
The books are excellent reading and were among the first books that I found on any of the Koryu arts (Second hand bookshop no less!!! Some people do not know what they have lost!) The series contains some amazing photographs also and evoke a strong feeling of what the traditional Bugei must have been like (Still are!)
Sorry that I didn't respond earlier Mr. Francoeur.:o
Abayo.

Jimmy Francoeur
13th February 2002, 14:23
Hi Mr. Sharples

Thank You very much for the reply. So, this confirm that the french version of "Deity and the sword" (le sabre et le divin) is the translation of the first volume. My copy has what You said:

"Volume one covers Iai-Jutsu,Bojutsu and a little about the origin of the school and
its teachings. (History of Katori Jingu, Origin of 'Tenshin Sho', Lineage/Keizu of the Headmasters, and Teachingsof the school.)"

Let's hope the 2 others will comes soon.

Have a nice day!
Jim

Akimov Oleg
20th February 2002, 13:37
Hi, all!!

could you help me to find this book in English. I've just asked BLT books it was only in theirs catalog but it actually is out of print.

Thank you for your help,
Oleg

fifthchamber
20th February 2002, 14:33
Hello Oleg,
And welcome to E-Budo!
Regarding your question..I was fortunate enough to find the first two books in a second-hand bookshop in London..I searched about for the third and eventually tracked it down through Amazon.com (Or www.amazon.co.uk )If the book is still in print they may still have it there.
Other possible sellers are www.buyubooks.com , www.sasugabooks.com , or www.budogu.com
If those fail you can try here with Mark Brecht, in the 'Japanese treasures' section at the bottom of the main post page.
Also, it has been mentioned but the book certainly is not a 'major read' and thus buying it in French would be reasonable if all else fails.
Good luck in your hunt!
Abayo.

Andrei Arefiev
21st February 2002, 08:31
Privet, Oleg!

Welcome to E-budo. It's always nice to see another person from Russia on this board.

While I can only second Mr. Sharples' advice regarding looking for a used book through the various sources, if looking through the book or checking some things in it are enough, you can try the Japanese Information Center in the Foreign Languages Library (Inostranka): they have vol. 3 there. I've never managed to find the other volumes, but I stopped looking a long time ago.

If you'd like to get in touch, my e-mail address is andrew_a@abbyy.com What is it you're practicing?

Uspekhov,
Andrei.