PDA

View Full Version : Ryuka ken vs. Rakan ken

Robert Liljeblad
3rd February 2002, 19:28
Gassho all,

I understand that techniques in the Ryuo ken family are escape techniques (nuki).

My question is about the difference between Ryuka ken and Rakan ken techniques. What is the difference? And what do the different technique families mean?

Best Regards,

Onno
6th February 2002, 06:39
Gassho _||_

Hello Robert;
Good question, I asked my wife to look up your answer in the Kyohan. What follows is my bad translation. ( note : what is in the Kyohan and some other Shorinji Kempo books is hard even for some Japanese to understand.)

Ryuka Ken:
This collection of techniques mostly has attacks that are trying to trap or seize the defender. (think of Ude Juji Gatame as the attack and Gyaku Gote as the defence ). Most have take downs. After a takedown a technique from Kongo Ken is usually applied. Also most in this group are hard to explain, can't just read about it and do it. Another key ingredient is that when the technique is applied 30% power and 70% technique is correct(don't force it or rely on pain to throw him/her).

Rakan Ken:
This group is comprised mostly of techniques where the attacker is grabbing the sleeve or the lapel.

I hope this helps, or at least points you in the right direction. Another thing my good lady wife pointed out is that Kaiso grouped techniques for easier understanding and learning. Some techniques sometimes fit better in other groups, but that?fs just the way it is. Remember also that as you progress, the distinction between one technique and another will blur until almost all will be one. even between Goho and Juho not just related techniques.
Take Care

Kesshu

Onno & Chieko Kok
Alberta Branch
Calgary Canada

Robert Liljeblad
6th February 2002, 07:16
Gassho,

Thanks, for taking the time to answer my question! That really helped. You’re point of techniques more and more melt together is something I recently started to notice.

Best Regards,

Robert