PDA

View Full Version : Taiho-jutsu books?

Will Wetherell
4th February 2002, 00:31
Hello, I'm looking for books in English on Taiho Jutsu. I've seen Close Encounters: The Arresting Art of Taiho Jutsu by Takayuki Kubota mentioned, does anyone know if it's any good?

Cheers,

Will

thumpanddump
4th February 2002, 01:00
Not exactly what you may be looking for, and may not be answering your question, but have you tried this book ?

"A Professional's Guide to Ending Violence Quickly : How Bouncers, Bodyguards, & Other Security Professionals Handle Ugly Situations by Marc A. MacYoung"
Click here for link and sample pages (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/books/0873648994/reader/11/104-0685643-0773555#reader-link)

I have seen the book you mention, but I cannot remember clearly the content, so unfortunately I can't comment. As for other books, I guess the best bet is to look at one like I have just mentioned above.

G Ricard

Will Wetherell
4th February 2002, 21:57
Thanks, I'll check it out. Does anyone else have any suggestions?

Paul Steadman
7th February 2002, 05:17
Hi All,

The book "Close Encounters: The Arresting Art of Taiho Jutsu" by Takayuki Kubota of the IKA (Gosoku-ryu) does not cover (or have anything to do with) the official Japanese Police art of taiho-jutsu. I found Takayuki Kobotas' book and the information & techniques within to be very basic (to say the least)!

Regards,

Paul Steadman

Will Wetherell
7th February 2002, 21:43
Thanks Paul, sounds like maybe I should give Close Encounters a miss.

I don't suppose anyone knows if the Japanese Police training manuals are available in English?

Cheers,

Will

Andrew Craig
7th February 2002, 23:57
For what its worth I have a book titled "The Police Self Defence Handbook" by Brian Eustace, ISBN 0713632658

It is about 98 pages long, A5 size.

In the book it says that after 1973 the police service reviewed several martial arts for teaching police self-defence and arrived at the conclusion that a combination of judo and aikido would best suit those purposes.

Brian Eustace was then a serving police officer and helped to devise the system, which became recognised in both England and Japan.

It contains sections on tactical thinking and awareness, four sections of basic techniques (including old style police truncheon work), groundwork, sport techniques (a la tomiki aikido) and some throws.

I think over all the book was intended for the general public however rather than police officers specifically.

Best wishes,

Stephenjudoka
10th February 2002, 20:46
Have a look at Ease of Restraint by L.Martin.
It shows The Martin-Fairbairn School of Ju Jutsu Shinnoshindo Ryu style.

The book was written as an aid to Law Enforcement Officers.

It has no ISBN number but can be purchased from the Viper Agency e-mail
viper@robins011.freeserve.co.uk

There are two books written by Brian Eustace concerning Taiho Jutsu the one mentioned in an earlier post and second that was published by National Police Training - However, this book was for Police Trainers only and is not on general sale.

The only other English manual is the property of National Police Training and was produced for Police eyes only, again this manual was for Police Trainers only.

Will Wetherell
12th February 2002, 12:31
Thanks for all your replies.

I seem to recall seeing a book for sale on Amazon.com by Kotani called simply "Taiho jutsu", although it doesn't appear to be there any more. Does anyone know anything about it?

Cheers,

Will

Stephenjudoka
14th February 2002, 10:21
Hi Will,

Have a look at www.taiho-jutsu.eu.org
Thanks for your interest.

Stephen Sweetlove

Will Wetherell
16th February 2002, 13:08
Hi Stephen,

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.