Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: "Aunkai" / Akuzawa Minoru (Jin)

Finny Guest

Default "Aunkai" / Akuzawa Minoru (Jin)

Just found these clips on another forum, apparently the guy demonstrating had a couple of years training with Sagawa sensei before he passed away - he now teaches his own style called "aunkai" - but these clips just seem to be really very good Daito Ryu to me:

http://www.filegone.com/43620050916083359/

Grab demo 1
    http://www.filegone.com/30820050916084042/
    !
    Grab demo 2
    http://www.filegone.com/32820050916084454/
    !
    Grab demo 3
    http://www.filegone.com/39220050916085122/
    !
    Grab demo 4
    http://www.filegone.com/75820050916085551/

Just thought I'd share with you guys....

bicman5000 Guest

the links don't work

Charles Henri

Finny Guest

Haha - sorry Charles, you're just a bit late for them (seems like no one was that interested anyways...)

I'll see about getting them reposted somewhere - stay tuned.

bicman5000 Guest

hope to see them online soon

CH

Likes (received)

Hi guys.

I'm new here, but at one point I downloaded those aunkai clips. I have them locally and can get them to someone if they want to host them somewhere.

In fact, seeing those clips are what got me to this site, I'm looking around for more info on daito-ryu, hopefully I can meet up with some folks in my area and talk about aiki.

I live in SF.

Thanks,
    jtm
    Jesse Marandino

Finny Guest

Hi Jesse - If you want to share the clips with the rest of us, you can upload them to http://www.yousendit.com - quick and easy, if not longlasting.

Sorry Charles, I tried to get in touch with the guy who originally posted the clips, but have yet to hear bak from him...

Hopefully Jesse can help us out.

Likes (received)

Default help is on the way

Click here to watch Akuzawa-grab1
    Click here to watch Akuzawa-grab2
    Click here to watch Akuzawa-grab3
    Click here to watch Akuzawa-grab4
    Click here to watch Akuzawa-fingergrab

Here they are. I'd love to hear any feedback on the skills represented here.
    From the original poster it has been said that these are supposed to demonstrate specific uses of Aiki.
    Jesse Marandino

Likes (received)

Saw these a while back when his student was pushing him as the greatest thing since sliced (crustless of course) bread. Honestly, not that impressed, if you've ever been thrown around by Don Angier or his guys, you'll see nothing new here. It's not that it's bad, but it's not exactly groundbreaking...
    Christian Moses
    **Certified Slimy, Moronic, Deranged and Demented Soul by Saigo-ha Daito Ryu!**
    Student of:
    Shinto Ryu Iai-Battojutsu
    Tuesday Night Bad Budo Club (TM)

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by chrismoses
    Saw these a while back when his student was pushing him as the greatest thing since sliced (crustless of course) bread. Honestly, not that impressed, if you've ever been thrown around by Don Angier or his guys, you'll see nothing new here.
    Hi Chris,

I haven't had the pleasure of being thrown around by anyone doing DR.

Would you say the body skills that Akuzawa is displaying are being displayed by Don Angier and his guys?

I'd like to know more. I'm located in SF, as I noted previously, is there anyone around here that you would recommend I get in touch with?

I'm not familiar with Don Angier, like I said I only recently started researching.

Thanks in advance,
    Last edited by jtm; 2nd November 2005 at 01:09. Reason: grammar typo
    Jesse Marandino

Likes (received)

Don's not DR he's Yanagi Ryu which is considered the 'other' legitimate Aikijujutsu line. Some of his former students lurk here, though I don't know of anyone in your area (for yanagi or DR). I'd head over to AikidoJournal.com and start digging through their archives, there's info on Don and video clips of various DR practitioners. Hope that helps.

I would say that *disclaimer* from what I can see in the video*/disclaimer*, he's doing very similar stuff to Yanagi Ryu but not nearly as well. Note: not saying he's bad, looks like fun stuff, but it's nothing I haven't seen before.
    Christian Moses
    **Certified Slimy, Moronic, Deranged and Demented Soul by Saigo-ha Daito Ryu!**
    Student of:
    Shinto Ryu Iai-Battojutsu
    Tuesday Night Bad Budo Club (TM)

Likes (received)

Well, all I'll say about them is that it looks like Mr. Akuzawa is pretty athletic, and appears to me to come from a kicking/punching background primarily (?).

BTW, I'd be interested to hear more about the training he claims from Sagawa Sensei. Like what period he studied, and where? I ask because if he had studied with Sagawa Sensei, or at the Sagawa Dojo, the members there would surely know who he is, right?

Regards,
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

"Put strength into your practice, and avoid conceit. It is easy enough to understand a strategy and guard against it after the matter has already been settled, but the reason an opponent becomes defeated is because they didn't learn of it ahead of time. This is the nature of secret matters. That which is kept hidden is what we call the Flower."

- Zeami Motokiyo, 1418 (Fūshikaden)

Likes (received)

Default Sup all

Seems like someone already started a post so I thought I'd fill in:

Btw, I'm the student that was "pushing akuzawa as the greatest thing since sliced bread.(crustless)"

I'll just say a couple things, first of all, videos lie. It doesn't look nearly as impressive as it feels. And looking at the videos...well lets just say I wouldn't be impressed myself.

Most people have already probably heard of him and the flaming/controversy on !!!!!!ido etc, so I won't go through the explanations of structure/alignment/groundpath etc etc again.

For those in Europe he will be doing a seminar in Europe from Feb 11-12 in Paris, France:

Here's a rough overview by Ed Hines who's hosting the event:
    La maison du Taiji, 57 rue Jules Ferry 93170 Bagnolet, Paris, France
    Contact Edward Hines +33 680 28 86 39
    edward@nlpschool.com

The development of an integrated physical structure and the ability to spontaneously apply the power it generates in a free form manner is the goal of internal martial arts training. Akuzawa Minoru is a contemporary practitioner who has focused his training on acquiring and developing the sophisticated body skills associated with this goal.

Akuzawa Sensei's Bodyskill comes through various Koryu teachers, unknown to most within the Japanese community, and Yukiyoshi Sagawa. Sagawa was a fellow student of Morihei Ueshiba under Sokaku Takeda. Within Daito Ryu, he is considered to be the student who exemplified the transmission of Sokaku Takeda's Aiki. Tatsuo Kimura in turn is known for having received these skills from Sagawa. Akuzawa Sensei studied under Sagawa Sensei for several years and continued after Sagawa's death with Kimura Sensei.

This will be Akuzawa Sensei's first seminar outside of Japan, and it is a rare opportunity to encounter the remarkable internal training techniques employed in Japanese Koryu. In two days, Akuzawa Sensei will present a set of effective training exercises, and will demonstrate the results of their practice. Participants will be invited to test his ability to manifest extraordinary internal strength in a variety of startling demonstrations, including martial application. Akuzawa Sensei will cover the practical and theoretical aspects of aligning and conditioning the body to generate and apply internal strength, focusing on both structure and dynamics.

Day One: Structure
     Solo bodywork derived from various Koryu.
     Solo bodywork derived from various Koryu.
     Akuzawa Sensei's unique 'nyu-ryoku' method of 'putting power into the opponent' - developed through kneeling and standing techniques that he recieved from Sagawa Sensei.
    Day Two: Dynamics
     Paired exercises for applying the power developed alone in a moving situation.
     Explanation of how previous material applies internal martial arts and free fighting.
     Explanation of how previous material can be used to generate extraordinary power both to throw and to strike.

Cost: €80/day €150 for the weekend

Edward's note…I've not met Akuzawa, I've seen some clips which looked good. So why am I willing to put this seminar on? From my discussions with people who know him he has two outstanding attributes.

The ability to generate lots of force despite his small size (60kg) in live martial situations -- and a willingness to demonstrate

And

Willingness to teach these skills, backed up by thought in how to teach them. His students aren't told 'this is very hard it will take many years' but are given hard work that produces results in a shorter time scale.

Combine this with my natural curiousity -- I'm curious how different a Japanese approach to these arts can be…and I'm willing to take the risk to learn something. Actually I think this is a sure thing and it will be worth going.

Rob John

Likes (received)

And I know these posts were made awhile back but I thought I'd include this anyways:

The demonstrations were NOT of aiki, tho if you want to call it aiki feel free.
    He's trying to demonstrate the importance of "standing" and that you should need a "stance" persay to pull these things off. As in, he's trying to show everything in the most "simplified" version. It just happened that it ended up looking "Aiki" like when he did it that way. He can make his stuff look and feel like Internal CMA if he wants, and then use the same body skill with DRAJJ techniques...its all the same.

Yes his enrollment at Sagawa is verifiable, and in fact we had a student who studied 10 years at Sagawa's place come by last night (which was kind of dissapointed...didn't have nearly the structure I thought he might...and the fact that he was floored by Ark should speak of Ark's skills...but feeling is believing right? )

And yes his background was originally more in the ringsport of Sanda. He originally competed in the first International Sanda Competition in Beijing, China in 1991, took first place in his weight class (65kg). These days though he's more about building the "core" or "foundation" common to all high level MAs, tho he's considering on getting our feet wet in Sanda/Muay Thai at some point.

Anyone have interest in the seminar/ happen to be in Tokyo and want to participate in a class/ or just want to shoot the "#$t email me at
    foshizzlepizzle at hotmail dot com

Rob John

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Asura
    And I know these posts were made awhile back but I thought I'd include this anyways:

The demonstrations were NOT of aiki, tho if you want to call it aiki feel free.
    He's trying to demonstrate the importance of "standing" and that you should need a "stance" persay to pull these things off. As in, he's trying to show everything in the most "simplified" version. It just happened that it ended up looking "Aiki" like when he did it that way. He can make his stuff look and feel like Internal CMA if he wants, and then use the same body skill with DRAJJ techniques...its all the same.

Yes his enrollment at Sagawa is verifiable, and in fact we had a student who studied 10 years at Sagawa's place come by last night (which was kind of dissapointed...didn't have nearly the structure I thought he might...and the fact that he was floored by Ark should speak of Ark's skills...but feeling is believing right? )

And yes his background was originally more in the ringsport of Sanda. He originally competed in the first International Sanda Competition in Beijing, China in 1991, took first place in his weight class (65kg). These days though he's more about building the "core" or "foundation" common to all high level MAs, tho he's considering on getting our feet wet in Sanda/Muay Thai at some point.

Anyone have interest in the seminar/ happen to be in Tokyo and want to participate in a class/ or just want to shoot the "#$t email me at
    foshizzlepizzle at hotmail dot com

Rob John
    HI Rob

I couldn't attend the class on Saturday, but I was very curious because I've heard that a former student of the Sagawa Dojo was attending. Really disappointing that I couldn't.

So he was dissappointing? Love to hear about that more "Kuwashiku" next time.

By the way, yes Akuzawa was not demonstrating "Aiki" in the Daito-ryu way, but something to the way on "Aiki".

Training with him realy got me some ideas of "Aiki". One thing is if you are skipping the basics, even if you can show "Aiki" skills in a demonstration, it is not martial art. It is a kind of art but definitly not martial art.

And I am realy thinking recently, that maybe most of contemporary Aikido, Daito-ryu is skipping this basics (without recognizing this) and trying to get the fruits without the sweats.

Tomoo Yawata
    Yoshinkan/Aunkai

Dan Harden Guest

Training with him realy got me some ideas of "Aiki". One thing is if you are skipping the basics, even if you can show "Aiki" skills in a demonstration, it is not martial art. It is a kind of art but definitly not martial art.

And I am realy thinking recently, that maybe most of contemporary Aikido, Daito-ryu is skipping this basics (without recognizing this) and trying to get the fruits without the sweats.

Amen.
    It is also why (we both know) that in its truest form- it is formless.
    How is it that we can do aiki-age, aiki-sage and standing cross-arm throws and what ever "form" one wished to express it in- as well as throwing from whatever touches us ...have judoka and Aikidoka "give up" on trying to throw us or lock us out...then go box, Kick and punch, and freestyle fight?
    What in fact is "it" in the first place? It has nothing, not one thing..to do with waza. I do not believe, (in fact I know) that most people have ever gotten "it." Most men are, and have always been "technique junkies." While techniques are fine, valid and needed-they are not the power many men are searching for.

FWIW, I think of Aiki as what I do with what was offfered. Kiai as what -I- decide to do. Both start and finish with good body skills and breath work.

Question
    Why is it that Tenryu the sumo guy -in an unpresidented event never equaled-was told after only 3 months of training with Ueshiba.. "I have nothing else to teach you. Now you can go anywhere and one one will be able to defeat you."
    What did he get?
    What did he already partially have?
    Muscle? Technique?
    His own recollections had to do with body skills and breath training.
    What was planting all those judoka with Takeda (4'-11") using little effort?
    Muscle?
    Technque?
    Read.

Hi Rob
    The only caution I would make is that once learned by Takeda - it was expressed through connection (not that it had to be) so most folks think of it as Aiki connection. Ueshiba carried on in that limited but then popular venue. Choosing not to hit or kick but to just use what was offered while he stood there-you know what I mean. Of course he was aided by guys who "did" great ukemi. Reality isn't as pretty.

The few
    Why would you "assume" that everyone in the Sagawa dojo got it? Is that yours, mine or anyone elses experience in anything? Anywhere? Ten years from now lets talk about all the poeple who have come and gone who have trained with Ark in those years. Lets compare skills between them? It is a sad but true axium that most mens minds stop at the waza they are shown. Just because Ark is openly showing the body skills doesn't mean everyone will always get it. See what I mean?
    What do we have at best in many of these arts; 50 men practice... 2 or 3 get it. Just how many in these arts -in anyone generation- do you think are actually shown the stuff? What else is new? :wink:
    Reputation by affiliation is an old story. Don't let it happen to you. Start making the rounds a few years from now. Heck maybe even now. Go and "touch" the highest rank guys you can find. You may find you can stop many in their tracks without doing much. Anyway, write about it when you get back. I did.

Cheers..and back to lurking.
    Dan
    Last edited by Dan Harden; 16th January 2006 at 17:39.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast