Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Bruce Tegner

Likes (received)

Default Bruce Tegner

“Bruce Tegner lives in California, His style is Jukado, a mixture of Judo, Karate and Akido. Fraud or not he had a big following here in the Claremont N.H area. My first style of Karate ( I knew no other) was Jukado. I started in the 70's.
    My Sensei, Det. Edgar Lunderville, Claremont P.D was a big follower of Bruce Tegner. I understand from him that Bruce Tegner developed this system from various things that he had learned, put them together into a system and called it Jukado. My Sensei studied under a person in Rhode Island whom studied under Bruce Tegner.
    This is what I know of him.
    I am curious as to what makes him a "fraud". It seems that he has trained under various people. He has written a lot of books and seems to know what he is talking about.
    Every basic in the Jukado system is what I study today. It appears that he made his own Kata.
    As I said before I would be curious as to what makes him a fraud and where would I find this site that says he is.
    Thank you
    Hanshi Ramona Hastings”

Above is something I found on a Yahoo group. The group is having discussion of sorts over the value of Mr. Tegner’s literary efforts and someone has implied that he is a fraud. Pretty much typical internet dribble.

I thought that Mr Tegner passed away sometime ago. I thought I had read the obituary information that someone posted on e-budo. I have searched the site and could not find it? Does anybody else remember this? Also I knew Bruce Tegner was a Judoka. But I never heard of Jukado. Anybody ever hear of Jukado? Just curious. Have a good day everybody.

Ed Boyd

Likes (received)

Bruce Tegner was a Judo Man who learned from his parents. He dabled in and wrote many books on various martial arts.

His books are nothing compaired to what became available, but I still have quite a few as collectors items.

He received an honorary GoDan in ShiTo Ryu, Shukokai, from Japan.

View him as an early pioneer of martial knowledge in the west, albeit limited as far as what he put out to the general public.

Even Bruce Lee and Count Dante read Bruce Tegner, for what thats worth. Both had made comment on his books.

Yes, he is dead.

I see that the lady who wrote that, is Hanshi huh???????????????
    Steven L. Malanoski

efb8th Guest

Hi, Ed.

I used to read Bruce Tegner in the 60's and 70's cause he was there in the bookstore. I had the Jukado book and remember it well as a good simple self-defense primer. His book on Judo was pretty good, too. He developed a reputation as an overly prolific writer as he expanded his title base. It seemed he wrote on every MA known to man, but I think he did more good than harm.

My $.02,

Likes (received)

The first article about Bruce Tegner that I recall is the one of him that appeared in LIFE, I think it was, in 1946. (Actually, it was about his 9-year-old sister, Carol, who had her own kids' class in Hollywood, and charged $2 per lesson back then.) Anyway, from the Social Security Death Index, http://ssdi.genealogy.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/ssdi.cgi , one finds this:

BRUCE TEGNER. Birth: 28 Oct 1929. Death August 1985. Ventura, CA 93002.

Meanwhile, if you want to see Bruce in action, see if you can find this episode of "Ozzie and Harriet":

9.27 [301] THE MANLY ARTS
    Prod. no. 27-301
    29Mar61 (Repeated 13Sep61)
    Guest cast:

Jack Ellena (as the wrestling instructor)
    Bruce Tegner (as the karate instructor)
    Frankie Van (as the boxer)
    Dave Willock (as Judson)
    Joan Tabor (as Miss Winters)
    Connie Harper (as Miss Edwards)
    Reita Green (as Jean Robertson)
    Mable Rea (as gunn moll)
    Frank Richards (as store policeman)
    Bill Hampton (as store policeman)

--The art of self-defense causes disagreeement among Ozzie, Rick and David. Rick thinks karate is best, David claims wrestling is superior and Ozzie leans toward the old stand-by boxing. The boys might just get a chance to prove their points - they take jobs as guards for a detective agency. --Dave and Ricky do some menial tasks foor a private investigator, and Mom and Dad begin to worry that they'll get hurt.

http://www.geocities.com/TelevisionC...AndHarriet.htm

BTW, this happens to be one of the very first uses of karate on US TV. (Judo was used much earlier, but here we're talking specifically of karate.)

efb8th Guest

Default A follow-up

Hi, Joe and everyone.

Mostly because of this thread, I went to e-bay and picked up a copy of JUDO: Beginner to Black Belt ($3.50+ s&h) to replace the one I gave to a student. The first thing that struck me was the dedication page. All it says is, "To the memory of T. SHOZO KUWASHIMA." (Tegner's caps)

In the "about the author" section, the author notes that his mother, June Tegner (who received a sandan from Mr. Kuwashima), traveled with Dr. Kano's entourage in the U.S and was invited to train at the Kodokan.

Mr. Tegner also included a signed facsimile of a handwritten congratulatory note from Kuwashima Sensei, noting his "great victory" in the California (State championship) and his promotion to Nidan.

Sounds like a pretty good background to me.

Regards,

Stephenjudoka Guest

My first Judo book was by Bruce Tegner. His books were well known over here in the sixties.
    I also remember having a karate book and a self defence book by him.

He was definately an early pioneer of M/A not only in the states but in the UK also.

In my opinion he was no fraud.

Stephen Sweetlove
    Last edited by Stephenjudoka; 24th February 2002 at 17:40.

Likes (received)

Go to the Library of Congress website http://catalog.loc.gov , and you will notice that Tegner published 1-3 books per year for about 15 years. Topics included aikido, judo, jujitsu (sic), karate, "jukado" (a mix of judo, karate, and aikido), law enforcement, tai chi, kung fu, savate, self-defense for girls and women, self-defense for boys, nerve center strikes, and stick fighting. Some of these books may not have been as good as others. Savate, kung fu, and tai chi, for instance, may not have been based on deep study. Also, given the frequency of publication, it is possible that he simply wore out his welcome with his readers.

Likes (received)

Default Jukado

Yes I wish to know if anyone can help me out, I am looking for possbile places out in the state of florida that teach jukado, and was wondering if anyone on here knows anyplace out in the state of florida that teaches it. Jukao is karate aikido and judo mix. I am currently taking it at college but one day might possibly relocate to florida.