Likes Likes:  0

Thread: kiyose nakae history?

Likes (received)

Default kiyose nakae history?

I have heard alot about kiyose nakae from former and present teachers, any idea of his history- birth date, death date, ryu affiliation? Just curious as i have heard his name often.
    Erin O'Neill

Likes (received)

I've heard that Nakae was a practitioner of Kito-ryu jujutsu - however, I don't have any documentation to support this statement.

I posted a similar question some time ago and received very little info on the guy. His history seems quite obscure.

Sincerely,
    Arman Partamian
    Daito-ryu Study Group
    Maryland

Likes (received)

Question Nakae and books

Hi all,
    I have in my collection a book on Jujutsu by Kiyose Nakae called "Jiu Jitsu Complete" published in 1958. It uses line drawings of techniques throughout its 170 pages and includes sections on Kappo and Resuscitation arts..
    In the intro it says of Nakae that;
    "He is considered the foremost instructor of Jujutsu in the western world..His students come from all over..to New York City.
    Professor Nakae has spent most of his life teaching Jujutsu to Americans. When he first arrived in this country some 50 years ago he was hired to teach his skills to police departments in all parts of the land"
    It goes on with a foreword by George C. Yoshida where he states that;
    "Professor Nakae is..Chief instructor of New York's Dojo (Judo academy)"
    But other than these brief words little about Nakae himself is explained.
    The book itself is a good collectors book and the techniques used in it are not the Judo type of exercises..They aim more at practical self defense and control of opponents armed with Bats, Guns, and knives..A fairly good collection of techniques with foldouts (I DO love gimmicks ).
    Unfortunately there is very little on him and less on his art..other than the above quotes and as Judo and Jujutsu tended to become mixed easily back then it could be either/or that he was teaching in New York at the time.
    I would be interested in finding more out about him though..
    Abayo...
    Ben Sharples.
    智は知恵、仁は思いやり、勇は勇気と説いています。

Likes (received)

Ben-

I own a copy also (a first edition hardbound, actually - his picture is on the cover). I think it is a great book, overall. Don't you love how all the techniques are referred to as "tricks." In fact, I was recently browsing through a copy of "Kano Jujutsu," published around 1910 or 1915, and all the judo techniques are also referred to as "tricks."
    Good stuff.

Cheers,
    Arman Partamian
    Daito-ryu Study Group
    Maryland