Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Karma Update

Likes (received)

Default Karma Update

Here is some more information on our karma system. First of all, consider this a beta test. Some of you are worrying too much about this .

In the past, there was no way for us to have a members rating, except by going by how many messages were posted. This is what signifies the difference between the New Members, Members, and Senior Members titles. But, it says nothing in regards to the quality of the messages and how your fellow members feel about what you posted. You might post a lot of messages, but have little content worth reading. Or maybe you enjoy starting arguments or posting inflammatory remarks.

The software has specific settings in regards to what awards you with karma. For instance, if you post a message, you get karma. If a certain number of people reply, you get more. If it is read (message views) a certain number of times, you get more for being popular. But, your message now allows your peers to rate your message. So, while you can get points by posting, you can actually loose karma if enough people think it is not worthy. Everyone who replies to your message is also open for peer review.

To give someone good or bad karma, simply click on the karma icon on the far right bottom corner of the message. You will then have the choice of what kind of karma you want to give, and any short message to the poster as well.

Moderators can give karma as well. This can be to reward posters in their forum, or to punish those who are causing trouble.

In my case, I have handed out bad karma to members who fail to follow the rules, especially about signatures. Thus, a new member with low good karma will immediately see the error in their ways. For the most part, that is all the karma I dish out. It is interesting to sit back and watch the karma logs and see some of you battling back and forth between good and evil. For instance, Richard Ray has been getting good karma from people reading his messages, but he has been hit with lots of bad karma from members.

If your karma drops to a certain level, you will not be able to post new messages.

If you are away from ebudo for extended periods of time, your good karma slowly moves back towards 0.

Uses for good karma? Well, I am still working out the details. Here are a few ideas:

500 karma- users are entitled to a free email redirect. Thus, you could use "yourname@e-budo.com."

Only members with at least 25 karma can post in the "for sale" forum.

50 karma- free help in designing and preparing your avatar graphic.

100 karma- members are eligible for monthly drawings for free products, provided by e-budo sponsors (books, videos, etc).

These are just ideas and nothing is official. If you have any other suggestions, please post them here...
    John Lindsey

Oderint, dum metuant-Let them hate, so long as they fear.

Kit LeBlanc Guest

Default What are they Saying?

Ok, so I click on my own karma icon and I see a couple names of people that have commented...how do I see what they said?

Likes (received)

If they add a coment, it will appear next to their name. If not, there will be nothing.
    John Lindsey

Oderint, dum metuant-Let them hate, so long as they fear.

Kit LeBlanc Guest

So, if there is no comment, there name appears only because they clicked on the karma icon?

Likes (received)

Okay, I just tried to give some karma to someone to see if that function works. Yes, I used Kit since he happened to be sittin' there. It didn't work... Kit's karma shows no addition. I clicked on the "agree with" box and then "sent" the karma. But nothing.

I get left with a big, empty white window after apparently sending the karma message.

What's that about?
    Cady Goldfield

Kit LeBlanc Guest

Cool

Oh, that's just me, I used AIkarmajutsu.

Likes (received)

Wink

Curses, LeBlanc!
    Cady Goldfield

Likes (received)

I did reload. Nada.
    Wonder if it has to do with what I've selected and de-selected on the options page (i.e. cookies)?
    Cady Goldfield

Likes (received)

I just tested it and did not have any problems...

Maybe it is Cady who has Aikikarma
    George Kohler

Genbukan Kusakage dojo
    Dojo-cho

Likes (received)

Default Karmic 'Argggh!'

I feel so... so... impotent! Unable to wield any karmic powers over the other denizens of the E-Budo universe. Ah, cruel Fate! Alas, unjust Destiny!
    Cady Goldfield

Kimpatsu Guest

you can actually loose karma if enough people think it is not worthy.
    That's it. I'm dead. Now karma is officially a popularity contest, maybe I should save my detractors the trouble and resign from the board now. None of you like me anyway.

Likes (received)

I wouldn't worry too much Tony. Your ok in my book.
    George Kohler

Genbukan Kusakage dojo
    Dojo-cho

Likes (received)

Default Re: Karma Update

[QUOTE]Originally posted by John Lindsey
    Here is some more information on our karma system. First of all, consider this a beta test. Some of you are worrying too much about this .[/Quote}

So far so good. If this is a beta test though, does that mean that the numbers revert when the real system is instituted? In that way, perhaps this is what the Buddhists might call the Bardo- a sort of limbo where we must confront the demons of our own attachments before we commit to the eightfold path?

To give someone good or bad karma, simply click on the karma icon on the far right bottom corner of the message. You will then have the choice of what kind of karma you want to give, and any short message to the poster as well.

Does the amount of Karma that a poster possesses affect the amount of positive or negative Karma that they can give?

If your karma drops to a certain level, you will not be able to post new messages.

Perhaps this is the virtual equivalent of being born into an animal form...
    "Ruff!... RuffRuffRuff!"
    "What's with that darn dog anyway...It's like he's trying to tell us something..."
    "Naw. He's just a dog,Louise...Shaddap already, you $%&^*# dog!"
    Krzysztof M. Mathews
    http://www.firstgearterritories.com

Every place around the world it seemed the same
    Can't hear the rhythm for the drums
    Everybody wants to look the other way
    When something wicked this way comes

"Jeremiah Blues, Part 1"
    Sting-The Soul Cages

Nicolas Caron Guest

Thanks for the specifications My Lindsey. Clarifies all of my questions and eases all of my concerns.

One thing though, if possible I would change the "agree/disagree" choices in the karma box. I explain, sometimes I can totally disagree with what someone says but still think it is a worthy, well spoken argument worthy of some karma goodness. I know, I know I'm picky and this is just a question of words... but still I feel it would be better to put choices like "good post/bad post".

Dan Harden Guest

Gees Tony... relax
    Ya can't get accused of being contentious more than me- and I'm up to 26 and I haven't even said anything yet.
    Hey wait.......does that mean what I think it means....uh oh....er um....

How is everyone? Can I get you some coffee.

Seriously though-I strongly doubt John will let people go down in flames for intelligent contrasting opinion. That's where we all have our fun-including him

Dan

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast