Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Vodka + green tea?

Likes (received)

Originally posted by J. A. Crippen

and an umeboshi stuck in the top where the cherry would be.

Thats yucky stuff. I dont know anyone that can eat a umeboshi without gagging. You must be talking about plain old ume?
    Ume juice or lychee juice in vodka might taste good.
    Glen Mergnes

Likes (received)

Weelll, vodka and umeshu would just get you umeshu that would knock you out. Nothing more, really.

As for umeboshi, I rather like them. The better ones aren't so salty, which makes it easier to savor their flavor. I've noticed that as with a lot of Japanese cuisine, Westerners tend to approach it with a preconceived notion of what it should taste like. In the case of umeboshi one hears "pickled plum" and expects to get something that tastes akin to a prune. The shock of biting into something salty and slightly sour/bitter is a surprise that turns most people off. But if you are told "it's a salty pickled thing that Japanese people eat a lot of" and then try umeboshi it wouldn't be a surprise and you might not be as turned off by it. I knew what umeboshi were and had them described to me before I ever ate one. Since I knew what to expect I found that I really could like them.

Sometimes being told what something is before eating it will really turn you off though. I have yet to try those preserved duck eggs that can be found anywhere Koreans or Chinese people shop. Just the picture of greenish eggs with black soupy centers on the styrofoam boxes turns me off. I suppose I might have learned to like them if nobody had told me what they were beforehand.

The same goes for fermented yak's milk as well I suppose...
    James A. Crippen

Likes (received)

I know a Japanese guy that drinks Whisky and milk! A capfull in a cup of tea goes down well but I dont think I would go that far.

Shochu (a distilled drink made from rice, potatoes or wheat has to be Japans number one drink. A bottle of beer or cup of sake is always an excuse to get the bottle out. Thats "all" they drink down in Kagoshima. Then again if I lived in a constant ash shower I think I would perhaps need a drop myself. Okinawa has some one hundred percent stuff too.

They sell it with soda water and a fruit flavour cheaper than a can of coke now. Lychee, apple, apricot, peach, plum etc. etc. So its a nice drink of soda pop with a bit of a bite. Went up this year but there are still lots of cans about at one hundered yen.

Hyakutake Colin
    Last edited by hyaku; 26th March 2002 at 23:50.

Likes (received)

Really? 100 yen? What's the percentage of those, then? And isn't there an alcohol tax in Japan? How do they manage to sell them that cheap?
    James A. Crippen

Likes (received)

When I visited Miyazaki in Kyushu, I was "treated" to the local drink of choice, shochu cut 50/50 with hot water (oyu wari). The smell was bad enough, and I must say that the flavor was pretty disgusting as well. The really funny thing about it was that everyone was pissed at the arrogance of the mainlanders who, in their view, had conspired to make "Nihonshu" (Japanese liquor) synonomous with sake made from rice. They were all up in arms about this, harrumphing about how Kyushu had this delicious "national" drink made from potatoes and that since Kyushu was part of Japan, after all, it was in extremely poor taste for the mainlanders to call only sake made form rice "Nihonshu", etc., etc.

Since I have never developed a taste for either drink, it made no never mind as far as I was concerned, but it was funny to hear them vent their wounded regional pride.

Yuzu zest-flavored vodka would be excellent, I think. Also, frozen Bombay Sapphire gin served in a chilled glass with a twist of orange zest is quite good.

Although I have never had it, Russian pepper-flavored vodka is supposed to be good, so sansho-flavored vodka would be in the same category, I think. I would use crushed seed pods rather than leaves, though.
    Earl Hartman

Likes (received)

Default 1000 years old for sure

Originally posted by J. A. Crippen

Sometimes being told what something is before eating it will really turn you off though. I have yet to try those preserved duck eggs that can be found anywhere Koreans or Chinese people shop. Just the picture of greenish eggs with black soupy centers on the styrofoam boxes turns me off. I suppose I might have learned to like them if nobody had told me what they were beforehand.

The same goes for fermented yak's milk as well I suppose...
    As to the eggs, well growing up in Hong Kong and all, I never liked them either! As a child that is. Now that I'm grown its ok but not by itself. The eggs are very pungent and are usually eaten in congee in little bits together with soft boiled peanuts, pickled vegetables, some pork floss.

So goto Chinatown and have congee for breakfast with the eggs and you'll probably be OK with them.

M

Tetsutaka Guest

Default The drink

Vodka? Try Pepper Stoli, spicy V8 and a splach of clam juice...

Smooooooooooth

...that is, until you try to operate heavy machinery.

If you're short of cash - try a Burnett's Vodka and Old Milwaukee for a chaser.

And good green tea is a completely different experience from booze. I wouldn't dream of mixing the two - that is - in the same glass.

Man, I'm suddenly very thirsty.

Toodles,

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2