Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Classical Itto-Ryu Iaido

Lito Ramirez Guest

Default Classical Itto-Ryu Iaido

QUOTE]Originally posted by Charlie Kondek
    ...tell me more about the Itto-ryu-based iaido? What's that like? [/QUOTE]

Charlie -

According to Kotaka Soke (who is a fantastic historian on this kind of stuff), Sakurai-ha Kohgen Itto-Ryu daito iaido kata (seiza-no-bu and kiza-no-bu) has close similarities with those of the Ohmori-ryu, Hasegawa Eishin Ryu, and to some extent the Suioh-ryu. These schools were considred "mainstream" during the pre-WWII era.

BTW, if you want to wreck a perfectly good set of knees, try doing kiza-no-bu sometime. In kiza, you sit on your lef leg as you would do in regular seiza. Your right leg, however, is positioned as if you were sitting "indian-style" with the sole of your right foot flush against your inside left thigh; your entire right leg should be flush against the ground. Now, using only your right heel, push yourself straight-up into a standing position while simultaneouly drawing your sword from the saya. Apparently, kiza was used by guards to prevent them from falling asleep while on duty.

Anyway, while I have only seen ZKNR iaido kata performed on a few occassions, the most noticeable difference between this and Sakurai-ha KIR iaido is the interpretation of chiburi and zanshin. For example, Sakurai-ha KIR chiburi is a smaller movement (i.e. less dramatic) compared to ZKNR, and is performed by bringing your sword into a horizontal position next to your ear (almost as if you were talking on a phone). The wrist is then used to rotate the blade into a vertical position, and right arm is allowed to naturally "fall" so the blood is flicked at the end of the movement.

Other differences include Sakurai-ha KIR techniques that were used to avoiding unnecessary contact with your opponent's sword so as to minimize damage to the blade.

Philosophically speaking (and spiritually, I would think) I guess any style of iaido kata practice can be viewed as a means of not only familiarizing oneself with shinken handling but as a way to provide a greater understanding of the sword.

Regards,

- Lito

p.s. sorry we won't see you at the Cleveland Taikai this year; we'll have that keiko and beer some other time.

Likes (received)

Default Re: Classical Itto-Ryu Iaido

Originally posted by Lito Ramirez
    [B]QUOTE]Originally posted by Charlie Kondek
    ...tell me more about the Itto-ryu-based iaido? What's that like?
    Charlie -

Anyway, while I have only seen ZKNR iaido kata performed on a few occassions, the most noticeable difference between this and Sakurai-ha KIR iaido is the interpretation of chiburi and zanshin. For example, Sakurai-ha KIR chiburi is a smaller movement (i.e. less dramatic) compared to ZKNR, and is performed by bringing your sword into a horizontal position next to your ear (almost as if you were talking on a phone). The wrist is then used to rotate the blade into a vertical position, and right arm is allowed to naturally "fall" so the blood is flicked at the end of the movement.

- Lito
    Lito,
    There sure are lots of kinds of chiburi.
    In Kuniba Ryu the sword is vertical,and the forearm is almost vertial like "you are looking through a window" triangle made by your upper arm/forearm/Iaito, before the blood flicking rotation.
    I have seen another one , I think it is O-chiburi,or is it Yoko-chiburi? where the blood is flicked off during a horizontal movement before noto.

Gene Gabel

Lito Ramirez Guest

Default Chiburi Styles

Hi, Gene -

You're absolutely correct; there are plenty of chiburi styles out there. Unfortunately, my experience has been limited to two - our own and ZKNR. Given the number of iaido ryu/ryu-ha, it would be logical for chiburi movements to be a product of a school's own traditions, philosophies, etc. We too have a horizontal chiburi called "go-no-chiburi" which is a small wrist flick done following any strike performed while still in seiza or kneeling position.

I'm a big fan (and exponent) of Iai, irrespective of style or ryu. I believe it can provide kendoists greater clarity, especially in regards to tenouchi and proper alignment with the wrists and shoulders, which can be practically applied to the shinai. I've always wondered why Iai (and also kata, for that matter), are not considred "core competencies" among most kendo dojo today and not practiced on a more regular basis.

Regards,

- Lito

Likes (received)

Yes. If the senior sensei had their way, it would be! At my last test, one of the seniors said: "Kata is kendo. Kendo is kata." Meaning the ZNKR kendo kata. Meaning it should be emphasized. They have said the same things about iaido.

I think a lot of the reason it's overlooked is that there's so much emphasis on getting ready for tournament. My solution to this has always been to get together with other students *outside* of regular class to practice the kata.

So, can you tell me anything about the history of Sakura-hai Itto-ryu? (I realize Kotaka-sensei is more the authority!) I know what you're saying about kiza-no-bu. This is also called tate hiza, correct? I am fortunate in that I have access to a Muso Shinden Ryu exponent who has thus far taught us the ZNKR kata. And at some point, I will undertake pursuit of the MSR material. I understand the next set of kata are all from this dreadful position!!!
    We are the Sherlock Holmes English Speaking Vernacular. Help save Fu Manchu, Moriarty and Dracula.

Lito Ramirez Guest

Hey, Charlie -

Kohgen Itto-Ryu (KIR) is the school of swordsmanship used primarily during the 1860's by the Shinsen Gumi, Mimawari Gumi, Hachioji Hyakunin Shu and Hachioji Sen'nin Shu (all pro-Tokugawa samurai police units) as a method of combating the ronin who overtook Kyoto City committing acts of extortion, murder, etc. These samurai police units also used KIR against the anti-government rebels who sought to topple the Tokugawa Bakumatsu, and restore Imperial Rule in Japan during the period of civil war prior the Meiji Restoration in 1868.

The school was renamed "Sakurai-ha Kohgen Itto-Ryu" by Kotaka Soke as a tribute to his teacher, Sakurai Gen'noshin Fumitaka. Sakurai was the last and youngest member of the Shinsen Gumi, and was taught KIR by Kotaka Soke's ancestor, Kotaka Jinzaemon Hidemichi who was a KIR sensei at Shinsen Gumi headquarters.

Historically speaking, I believe there are mainly two branches of KIR: one branch started by Hen'mi Tashiro Yoshitoshi (Hen'mi-ha), and the other started by Hiruma Yohachi Toshiyasu (Hirum-ha) when he broke away from the Hen'mi-ha KIR school. Sakurai-ha KIR is considered part of the Hiruma-ha family.

Because the Hen'mi-ha were all essentially potato farmers at the time (and still are today, I believe), it is my understanding that none of their sensei fought as Tokugawa samurai during the Meiji Restoration civil war era, as did Hiruma-ha sensei and samurai for the Shinsen Gumi, Mimawari Gumi, etc.

There is still a Hen'mi-ha KIR dojo in Japan today, and the differences between our style of KIR and theirs is still quite distinct. For example, the Hen'mi-ha KIR dojo in Japan practices only kata and some naginata. At Kohbukan Kendo Club we maintain the same itto-ryu-based curriculum used by the Shinsen Gumi and Mimawari Gumi: iaido, kata, shinai kendo, tai-yoho (an amalgam of judo, aikido and sumo techniques used for close quarter combat), and soyjutsu (spear).

That's pretty much all I know at this point. Many of our school's historical documents were destroyed by Kotaka Soke's teacher, Sakurai Gen'noshin Fumitaka, at the end of the Pacific War because he was targeted by the Allied Occupation Forces as a Japanese Nationalist. Although he was later exonerated, the documents were irretrievably lost.

Regards,

- Lito

Likes (received)

Lito,

I'm afraid there are a few inaccuracies and misleading information in your post regarding the history of Kogen Itto ryu.

You wrote:
    Kohgen Itto-Ryu (KIR) is the school of swordsmanship used primarily during the 1860's by the Shinsen Gumi, Mimawari Gumi, Hachioji Hyakunin Shu and Hachioji Sen'nin Shu (all pro-Tokugawa samurai police units) as a method of combating the ronin who overtook Kyoto City committing acts of extortion, murder, etc. These samurai police units also used KIR against the anti-government rebels who sought to topple the Tokugawa Bakumatsu, and restore Imperial Rule in Japan during the period of civil war prior the Meiji Restoration in 1868.

Although there may well have been practitioners of KIR involved in the political shenanigans of the Bakumatsu I'm unaware of any historical evidence naming the KIR as the "primary" school of swordsmanship for any of the numerous "gumi" of that era.

You wrote:
    The school was renamed "Sakurai-ha Kohgen Itto-Ryu" by Kotaka Soke as a tribute to his teacher, Sakurai Gen'noshin Fumitaka. Sakurai was the last and youngest member of the Shinsen Gumi, and was taught KIR by Kotaka Soke's ancestor, Kotaka Jinzaemon Hidemichi who was a KIR sensei at Shinsen Gumi headquarters.

Just to clarify, the Kogen Itto ryu since its foundation by the Henmi family has never changed its name.

You wrote:
    Historically speaking, I believe there are mainly two branches of KIR: one branch started by Hen'mi Tashiro Yoshitoshi (Hen'mi-ha), and the other started by Hiruma Yohachi Toshiyasu (Hirum-ha) when he broke away from the Hen'mi-ha KIR school. Sakurai-ha KIR is considered part of the Hiruma-ha family

There is no Hiruma-ha. Hiruma Yohachi learned his KIR from Henmi Tashiro Yoshitoshi and went on to open his own dojo in the Umehara area of Iruma-gun present day Saitama. The Hiruma family never broke away from the Henmi tradition.

You wrote:

Because the Hen'mi-ha were all essentially potato farmers at the time (and still are today, I believe), it is my understanding that none of their sensei fought as Tokugawa samurai during the Meiji Restoration civil war era, as did Hiruma-ha sensei and samurai for the Shinsen Gumi, Mimawari Gumi, etc.

The Henmi family were/are dry field farmers in the Chichibu area of Saitama. During the heyday of Chichibu silk production they also raised silk. Members of the Hiruma family and their deshi as well as the Suneya family were involved with the Tokugawa regime and as mentioned above there were a number of "gumi" and politically related conflicts in which practitioners of KIR were most likely involved in as well.

You wrote:
    There is still a Hen'mi-ha KIR dojo in Japan today, and the differences between our style of KIR and theirs is still quite distinct. For example, the Hen'mi-ha KIR dojo in Japan practices only kata and some naginata.

There is no Henmi-ha. Kogen Itto ryu is the property of the Henmi family. It is their school, their art. It is as much a part of their family as the fields they've been farming for the last few hundred years. We are practicing in our keiko today the same art that they have been teaching for over the last two hundred years.

Sincerely,

Zach Smith
    Saitama, Japan

Lito Ramirez Guest

Dear Mr. Smith -

First, let me apologize for any inaccuracies I may have presented regarding KIR in Japan. You are much more qualified to discuss the Hen'mi KIR tradition seeing that you are intimate with their dojo there. Any misinformation in this regard should be considered solely as my own.

Second, my account of Sakurai-ha KIR is in regards to KIR as it is practiced here in the U.S. Much of this information was relayed to me anectdotally by our soke, Sadao Kotaka. I have no reason to question the honor or credibility of someone who served as an associate research professor of biochemistry at the University of California at Berkley and The Ohio State University, and whom was entreated by the U.S. Navy to write approximately 45 published professional papers and over 200 classified reports for their Nuclear, Biological and Chemical Warfare Defense Program.

We have always understood that the KIR dojo in Japan has never recognized the legitimacy of our school here in the U.S., so this is not news to us. Should you ever find yourself in the U.S., and care to discuss this matter at length, we would enjoy having you as our guest where you can pose any questions that you may have in person to Kotaka Soke, who is much more qualified to answer the historical accounts of our ryu.

Or, if an invitation is offered, we would be more than happy to meet with you in Japan as Kotaka Soke is planning to participate in the 2003 Kyoto Taikai.

Regards,

- Lito Ramirez

Likes (received)

Very informative - and respectful, I might add! - posts, fellows. Thank you. Lito, if you'll forgive me for pestering you further, what is the tai-yoho training like under Kotaka-sensei? (I'm a student of judo as well as kendo, and am interested in how sword and grappling go together.)
    We are the Sherlock Holmes English Speaking Vernacular. Help save Fu Manchu, Moriarty and Dracula.

Lito Ramirez Guest

Charlie -

Not a pester at all; happy to oblige any questions. Tai-Yoho is kind of an amalgam of judo, aikido and sumo techniques used for close quarter, tsuba-zerai fighting. Training includes judo ukemi, tachi-waza, ne-waza and atemi; sumo-style throwing techniques, and sude waza (similar to aikido). Tai-Yoho can be practiced with or without bogu. Many of the techniques are difficult to explain unless accompanied by a demonstration. But some example techniques that are typical across many classical schools includes grabbing the bottom of your opponent's Do, pushing upward and choking them into submission, or using your tsuka as a leverage point by placing it underneath your opponent's arm pit and pushing upward. We don't practice the Do-choke for obvious reasons (ha).

Regards,
    - Lito

Likes (received)

That's really cool. Hey, when and if you get time, check out this really cool thread about kendo/grappling/other stuff:

http://www.e-budo.com/vbulletin/show...?threadid=7508

Lito Ramirez Guest

Charlie - what a great thread; thanks for passing that on. Really interesting stuff. I never realized there was a type of latent interest in the classical, "old-school" stuff. Throw in some soyjutsu (spear) and things can get really intersting.

yehling Guest

Tai-jutsu should underlie all of your sword techniques since the power of a cut comes from good body control, and from "rooting yourself into the ground." Just like you learn in Judo. If I understand Kotaka-sensei's teaching on it, it's supposed to be a last resort/desperation sort of thing. He taught us that during Kendo practice, if you drop your sword,you can still win if you can rip your opponent's men off before he cuts you. There is also a tradition in our Kendo that kote is really only a half-point because some fighter in the past killed his opponent with the sharp bones on the end of what was left of his arm after the opponent cut his hand off. I remember practicing melding with an opponent as he struck men and turning forward with him just under his sword. You end up side by side with your left hand grabbing his tsuka between his two hands. Then you hook your right thumb and the flat of your right hand on the back of his sword and leverage your opponents own sword to cut him. It was ages ago so I'm not too sure about this technique.
    Don Yehling

Likes (received)

Wowzers. Me and some of the other kendo-ka from up where I practice have been wondering what kinds of moves are available in tsuba-zerai. As some of us are also judo students, we tend to think in terms of judo attacks. The leg attacks spring to mind immediately. O-soto-gari (outside leg reap), ouchi-gara (big inside reap) and ko-ouchi-gari (small inside reap).

On those rare occasions when we try to experiment with grappling and jigeiko, I've usually found myself grabbing my opponent's forearm with my left and trying to stab him with my right (kind of like the kodachi kata, No. 2). Or, hand to the mune of the blade like in setei No. 8 and either get it up under his sternum or press the blade against his neck and chest.

P.S. Is Kotaka-sensei still calling it "Classical Kendo"? Because it seems more like kenjutsu, doesn't it? Or does he just refer to it as Sakura-ha Khogen Ittp-ryu?

yehling Guest

Sensei Kotaka just calls our training Sakurai-ha Kogen Itto Ryu. I guess it is "classical" swordsmanship since it is sensei's strong belief that specialization (only shinai kendo, only iaido, etc.) sucks out the spirit and the practical application of the art. What we do does constitute a "spiritual path ("Do")," but the use of a technique or kata in a real swordfigfht is what's most important to us. We practice a full curriculum of Iaido (Sensei says students often practiced with their family heirloom swords to feel the spirit of their hero ancestors - they join us in our dojo!), kendo kata, live sword kata in pairs (I do these with sensei since they're good for old guys in poor health like me), bokken kata with Onigote, shinai kendo, and sometimes spear, rope (arresting criminals),tai-yoho (we wear judo gi under our hakama to be ready for this practice),etc. The Sakurai-ha Kogen Itto Ryu sokes and students were police force samurai, so they had to arrest other professional swordsmen gone bad. Training has to be extra hard and comprehensive because you never know what's in a dark alley and your opponent has trained in killing and dying since his youth. Once somebody from Isshin Ryu Karate brought in some Sai. Sensei was unfamiliar with the Sai but used them with deadly skill on his first try. Don Yehling

yehling Guest

A little post script to my last post. You can find more info on Sakurai-ha Kogen Itto Ryu,including a list of just some(9pages!) of our bokken/Onigote kata at www.geocities.com/tokyo/garden/6305/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast