Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Helio Gracie on the Kimura Match

Kit LeBlanc Guest

Thumbs up Helio Gracie on the Kimura Match

Good read, with a startling revelation you will all enjoy!!!

No disrespect but they still appear a little hazy on the Judo/jujutsu thing. They should read Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu by son Royler and (nephew, I think..) Renzo, that would clear things up a little more.

http://www.geocities.com/global_trai...port/helio.htm

MarkF Guest

Old story of reworked fiction. They indeed are smart promoters of pro-wrestling matches, not that there is anything wrong with that, you know.

Mark

The links are to the other articles you emailed me a while back, aren't they? I know they were posted here, either by you or me, I can't remember. It's nice to see the Kimura match continues to be re-worked.

Kit LeBlanc Guest

Default True..

...but I don't recall Helio ever admitting he was choked unconscious by Kimura before he got armlocked. But maybe it is a new twist.

vadrip Guest

Default Helio Gracie on the Kimura Match

It is different every time you read or hear about it, just like most the time you hear things from the Gracies.

I think there was a supposed neck crank by Kimura which cause Helio to bleed too.

The Rorion Gracie site they mention the neck crank in a retelling of the story.

As far as the hazy with the judo/jujutsu thing it has always been common knowledge especially during that time that judo was called jujutsu and the like.

I have stated this before that brazilian jiujitsu is more so a version of prewar judo; but it also may have catchwrestling in it because Maeda's evolved with prowrestling.

Despite it's judo roots, I admit it's still different.

Helio has a bad memory obviously since Maeda was sent to teach judo, so judo was there a long time before 1950. A guy named Miura had also taught judo in Brazil around 1906 or so.

MarkF Guest

Yes, Kit, that's the first I'd heard of that, but he didn't bring up the "broken arm" either.

Mark

Ben_Holmes Guest

As far as the hazy with the judo/jujutsu thing it has always been common knowledge especially during that time that judo was called jujutsu and the like.
    I just recently (today!) laid my hands on a 1960 "Judo Journal", in which a letter was published by someone who had spent a few weeks in Brazil. He went to the headquarters of Gracie Jiujitsu, and spoke with "the two leaders of the Gracie family" for three hours, and stated that he "found them very bitterly opposed to Judo per se, to the Judo system in general and to the Japanese in particular".

I'll be scanning in this short, one page letter soon, and put it up on my website.

The letter was by "Anthony R. Flores - Lt. Col. MSC" and appears to be on stationary from the office of the deputy director of "The Rehabilitation Center At Philadelphia". Anyone have any particulars on this person or organization?

Likes (received)

That's my grandfather, Brigadier General Anthony R. Flores. What would you like to know about him?

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by kristenff View Post
    That's my grandfather, Brigadier General Anthony R. Flores. What would you like to know about him?
    That question was posted 15 years ago, and the person who posted it is no longer an active member of this site.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

But if you'd like to post some biographical detail, I'd be interested. I'm always interested in early US judo history.