Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Kamae - hand positioning and rationale

Benjamin Peters Guest

Default Kamae - hand positioning and rationale

Can anyone detail some theory on their Koryu school and it's hand positioning in relation to combat (why hands are posed in kamaethe way they are taught)?

Aaron T. Fields Guest

Talking

My hands.............down my pants, anybody want to grapple? (I'm protecting what really counts....)

Likes (received)

So a typical time at Aaron’s dojo is Aaron playing with himself, Neil scratching his ass and Doug picking his nose. No one wants to attack that and we’re not even mentioning what Aaron’s guys are doing to Geoff. Then there’s Joe and that’s not pretty either.
    Doug Walker
    Completely cut off both heads,
    Let a single sword stand against the cold sky!

Likes (received)

So as not to discourage Ben.
    Personally, I prefer the natural stance, if I have to go stylized then the same as done in Daito ryu with the hands at the thighs. Don’t give the bastards anything to work with.
    Doug Walker
    Completely cut off both heads,
    Let a single sword stand against the cold sky!

Likes (received)

"Aaron playing with himself, Neil scratching his ass and Doug picking his nose. No one wants to attack that"

That's "Aiki".
    Richard Elias
    Takamura-ha Shindo Yoshin ryu
    Yanagi Ryu

Likes (received)

Keeping your thorns (hands, arms, feet) in front of you or between you & your oppenent is always a good idea. If you find yourself dropping your guard due to your posture being used against you, then you are not moving correctly or staying in your posture (Kamae) too long. Much like holding your sword in Seigon, so that any attack will result in your opponent lunging himself into your sword, you want your thorns to be able to react in a similar fashion.

Just my input,

Richard
    Richard Elizondo
    admin@wanyunloong.com

"If you don't move, and you get hit, it's your fault. In combat there are no excuses, or chances to try again. If you are not training with this mindset, you are only fooling yourself."

Aaron T. Fields Guest

Me Aiki..................uhhhh I'm not smart enough for aiki I prefer to choke. (Plus I have cauliflower ear.) .... But thanks for the thought