Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New bogu

Likes (received)

Arrow New bogu

_||_
    Gassho.

Just a short info that it now is possible to buy the "new" type of faceguard that Hombu have been developing the last few years.

It is somewhat expensive, in the monthly Shorinji Kempo magazine Kaiho (Japanese only), it is listed that if orderingtwo you get them for 52.000 yen and one single one costs 27.300 yen.
    The "new" (not that new anymore) type of doubble Do is the same price of 26.000 yen and the doubble kinteki cup is about 4.800 yen.

/Anders
    Anders Pettersson
    www.shorinjikempo.net - www.shorinjikempo.se
    半ばは自己の幸せを、半ばは他人の幸せを - 宗 道臣
    "Nakaba wa jiko no shiawase wo, nakaba wa hito no shiawase wo" - So Doshin

Likes (received)

I would be curious to know if the the face shield is made of plastic that is highly flexible to absorb blows or is it very brittle.
    Raul Rodriguez
    Shorinji Kempo New York City Branch

http://www.ShorinjiKempoNYC.org

Likes (received)

The new BOGU are really fantastic. Lasy year I had the opportunity to attend the Tokai Kenkyukai where we were instructed in the various ways of training with the new protectors. We also were given the opportunity to do quite a bit of sparring using the new BOGU. It was really fun. The face shield is extremly strong yet flexible, and the visibility is really good -- I also did not experience the "fogging" that sometimes happens with other plastic face protectors.

There was an instructional video produced by Hombu for the Kenkyukai (I received a free one for being a participant) which showed how the new BOGU should, and shouldn't, be used -- as well as instructions for SHIMPAN (referees)for BOGU sparring.

Anyone who chooses to buy this gear should request a copy of the video from Hombu.

Cheers,
    Mike Johnson

Likes (received)

One more question.... Does the face shield need to be periodically changed?
    Raul Rodriguez
    Shorinji Kempo New York City Branch

http://www.ShorinjiKempoNYC.org

Likes (received)

looking at that pic..... wouldn't it have the same effect if you just wear a motor helmet??
    Rogier van der Peijl

REAL SCOTSMEN WEAR KILTS because sheep can hear a zipper at 500 yards!

Originally posted by Cady Goldfield
    Ah, what a cutie, Rogier. I'll bet a lot of ladies in Netherlands are mourning because you are out of circulation now!

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Rogier
    wouldn't it have the same effect if you just wear a motor helmet??
    No, a motorcycle helmet - being heavy and inflexible - would risk neck injury to the person wearing it and likely damage the person doing the striking. Nothing is going to provide 100% protection for full-contact work, but these come very close.

Later,
    George Hyde

UCL, ULU, SOAS Dojo
    British Shorinji Kempo Federation

Likes (received)

okay thanx...
    Rogier van der Peijl

REAL SCOTSMEN WEAR KILTS because sheep can hear a zipper at 500 yards!

Originally posted by Cady Goldfield
    Ah, what a cutie, Rogier. I'll bet a lot of ladies in Netherlands are mourning because you are out of circulation now!

Likes (received)

I like the idea of a plastic facemask, but isn't this one awfully big? I don't practice shorinji kempo myself, but if I'm not mistaken, you guys incorporate grappling techniques - but can you grapple with that thing in front of you?
    Jens Nasstrom

"I'm a fair guy, but this heat is making me absolutely crazy."

Kimpatsu Guest

Default Headbanging

Jens,
    This helmet is for goho randori, in which no juho is involved (normally). It's to help concentrate on the hard (goho) techniques at full power without risk of injury.
    HTH,

shugyosha Guest

Default juho randori

so juho and goho randori is separated? what about juho randori?

Kimpatsu Guest

Yes, there is juho randori, and there is randori that combines both goho and juho. Each has its place, and each requires a different approach. Remember: Randori is to improve your technique, so diffent types are required for different focuses. Why else would you do it?

Likes (received)

Lightbulb

Tony,

When you do do goho randori, is it full contact? Or, what I really want to know is if the plastic facemask can withstand a full contact blow? The reason I'm asking is that in Nippon Kempo, we have these kendo-style masks that are not only heavy, but limits your vision as well. (And I don't even want to think about what would happen if you attempt a high kick...ouch! ) I thought they were designed this way because of the full contact nature of the art, but if there is a modern, better alternative, I would like to know.

Regards,
    Jens Nasstrom

"I'm a fair guy, but this heat is making me absolutely crazy."

Kimpatsu Guest

Default Randori

Randori can take many forms. Without padding, only light contact is permitted. With the padding...
    In the early days of Shorinji Kempo, kenshi wore kendo masks much as you describe. This new helmet is lighter and more pliable, but is designed to withstand a full contact blow. I've yet to try it, however, so I can't speak as to the efficacy of design.
    HTH,

Jeremy Williams Guest

Default New Bogu

Hi all! This is my first post anywhere on the net, so please forgive any mistakes. Anyway, regarding the new face mask: have tried it out several times now and it's a lot of fun. However, I feel I should mention that it is most definitely not designed to take full-force blows. We've already had problems on that one, what with a number of uni students apparently managing to make noses disappear into skulls and eye-sockets etc.The objective is to give you a better understanding of the maai involved in goho work, so the blow should make contact, but be pulled. For this reason, it's recommended that you don't use those hand gloves when working with the mask. The extra few centimeters it gives you before you sense contact, and are thus able to retract, makes all the difference. Again, you are likely to end up going through the mask before you can adjust the level of force. Ouch!
    It is excellent for teaching form on punching. There is always a tendency to lean or look slightly away from the direction you are punching. If you are then hit in the face, particularly from the side by the defender, your head will do a very nast whip to the side. If you are punching correctly, however, the mask is so designed as to take the force of that punch with the lower part of the transparent shield which then transfers that impact to your upper chest. The same applies when executing, say, a tsubame gaeshi. If you don't keep you chin in and down...
    One note of caution here from a sadder and wiser man: don't be lulled into a false sense of security. The tendency is to think "sport" and go for it without properly guarding yourself. The result is often, as I found out, a very nasty smack in the chops.
    Hope that is of some help.

Jeremy Williams

Kikazaru Guest

Exclamation

I suppose the psychological aspect of wearing gloves, or not, can influence the stopping distance and power one tends to put into a strike.

It seems pretty unlikely however, that the sense of physical contact could facilitate a withdrawl reaction in the kind of time that passes between about 2cm of fist travel around the contact velocity of a punch. The latency of the stetch reflex is about 40ms. This is the fastest reflex arc in the body since it doesn't even contact the brain. Conciously controllable responses to sensory stimuli require processing in the motor cortex of the brain and require at least 100-200ms or so to get there and back. 2cm in 40ms = 0.5 m/s, 2cm in 100ms = 0.2 m/s. That's a pretty slow punch!

J.Hale

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast