Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Book Reviews Club

Likes (received)

Talking Book Reviews Club

Since returning to the arts several years ago I have found my search for knowledge has turned me into a bibliophile. On my return to the arts I had one or two books on Karate, Now I average one new book per week on all aspects of "Asian" martial arts and culture.
    What I need is some help deciding what is worth owning and what is not. So if you all would be interested we could start our own "book club" (oh lord did I say that?).
    If you read something worth while pass it on, give a review and get some feed back.

I'll post my choice for the week later.
    (Man I feel like Oprah!)

R. Kite
    Budoka 34
    "Study hard and all things can be accomplished; give up and you will amount to nothing".

-Yamaoka Tesshu

Likes (received)

Talking Mr. K's first book!

Ok, I'll start out simple (and probably stay that way! ).

My choice for this week is for those of you who have children.

The Kid's KARATE Book by: Michael J. Dunphy, PH.D. Workman Publishing. New York 1999.

This is an interesting first book for children, lots of information on Karate and Tae Kwon Do. The book opens with a foreword by George E. Anderson of the USAKF. It gives simple clear explainations of basic technique along with tid bits about martial history, wisdom,and etiquette.
    Terms are covered in both Korean and Japanese and the explainations are perfect for young children. I've used this book in my work with great success as the children enjoy reading it again and again.

R. Kite
    Budoka 34
    "Study hard and all things can be accomplished; give up and you will amount to nothing".

-Yamaoka Tesshu

Likes (received)

I agree completely about Dr. Dunphy's book. It's a valuable source of ideas for anyone who teaches children. You may also want to try Forrest Morgan's book, LIVING THE MARTIAL WAY. Dave Lowry is good (if annoying at times) and anything by Donn Draeger is solid gold. For koryu information, the Skoss books are very worthwhile.

Likes (received)

Talking Thanks

Dr. Dunphy is also an amazing Instructor, I attended one of his seminars last year.

Mark:
    Feel free to review any of those or any other titles you may have read. I look forward to it!
    I picked up a new book last nite. Its call "Secret Weapons of Ju-Jitsu". I'll try to review it as soon as I finish reading "Living the Martial Way".

R. Kite
    Budoka 34

-Yamaoka Tesshu

Don Cunningham Guest

Hi Budoka 34,

I just want to be clear that I didn't encourage or suggest the previous post. As the author, however, I would be very interested in opinions about my book, Secret Weapons of Jujutsu.

The paperback edition by Charles Tuttle Publishing Company was just released this week. According to the editor's report on the Amazon.com web site above, though, the paperback seem to be selling so fast that they can barely keep them in stock.

Likes (received)

It was an oversight on my part not listing Don's book. I've read the book and having spent time with Don, can attest to his knowledge of the material. SECRET WEAPONS OF JUJITSU would be a welcome addition to any MA library.

Likes (received)

Talking Hey It's you!

Don:
    It's great to have access to you! I haven't read it yet, have looked thru it and think it is very interesting (that's why I bought it! ).
    I'm almost finished with "Living the Martial Way" and your book is next on the list. I'm looking forward to it!

p.s. Very glad to hear of your success!
    R. Kite
    Budoka 34

-Yamaoka Tesshu

Don Cunningham Guest

Hi Mark. Good to hear from you again and thanks for the positive comments.

Budoka 34,

Living the Martial Way by Forrest Morgan was one of the most powerful and thought-provoking books about martial arts philosophy that I've ever read. I may not have agreed with some of his views, but they were all presented well. Take your time and don't rush through it, because there is a lot of really good material there.

Likes (received)

Talking I agree!

Don:
    So far, I love this book "Living the Martial Way". It is a thought provoking work. I have been forced to question some of my beliefs and training methods while others have been validated(so to speak). I will take my time (not that I have choice, I read like a second grader ).
    Have you noticed we don't seem to be attracting alot of interest in this section. I guess there aren't alot of "martial scholars" about.

Thanks again,
    R. Kite
    Budoka 34

-Yamaoka Tesshu

Likes (received)

It looks like we're preaching to the choir but I'm willing to keep swinging if y'all are. I find myself going back to Draeger's BUDO&BUJUTSU trilogy time and time again. Does anyone here have a "must read" list?

Brian Twitty Guest

Smile

Hi guys!

This is my "Must Read" list:

1. Living the Martial Way (which you already have )
    2. Moving Toward Stillness by Dave Lowry
    3. Karate- Do: My Way of Life by Gichin Funakoshi
    4. Zen in the Martial Arts by Joe Hyams
    5. The Science of Martial Arts Training by Charles Staley

These are probably the 5 best martial arts books that I've found. I'm planning to check out some more of Dave Lowry's work because I really like his view of the martial arts.

Brian Twitty

Laotse Guest

Originally posted by Brian Twitty

This is my "Must Read" list:

1. Living the Martial Way (which you already have )
    2. Moving Toward Stillness by Dave Lowry
    3. Karate- Do: My Way of Life by Gichin Funakoshi
    4. Zen in the Martial Arts by Joe Hyams
    5. The Science of Martial Arts Training by Charles Staley

This is an excellent list. I have all but the last, and I intend to look into it. Dave Lowry is a good writer, but Moving Toward Stillness is my favorite of his. I looked through my MA library -- dozens of books -- and found nothing I would recommend over this list, including everything written by Hatsumi and Hayes. I will add a few more books that are not better than these, but have a different focus also worth reading, in no particular order:

* Kodo - Ancient Ways: Lesson in the Spiritual Life of the Warrior Martial Artist, by Kensho Furuya
    * Zanshin: Meditation and the Mind in Modern Martial Arts, by Vince Morris
    * Mind Over Matter: Higher Martial Arts, by Shi Ming
    * Scholar Warrior, by Deng Ming Dao
    * The Taoist Warrior trilogy, by Deng Ming Dao (essentially a biography of a 20th century Taoist warrior, trained in the Wudang mountain temples, who eventually came to America. This man's life was at least as colorful and amazing as those of Morihei Ueshiba or Toritsugu Takamatsu).

Likes (received)

Forrest Morgan's LIVING THE MARTIAL WAY should be on every martial artist's list. Whether you agree with all of the author's views or not, it is a thought provoking book that offers many insights into problems we all face as martial artists. Lt. Col. Morgan is another author who walks the walk. I've been impressed with his both his outlook on training and his attitude toward other martial artists.

Likes (received)

Talking Book List?

Lets hear more of your choice reads!
    I think mine would go something like:

1. Living the Martial Way
    2. Heart of Kendo
    3. Japan's Ultimate Martial Arts- Ju-Jitsu Before 1882.
    4. Anything by Lowrey! Love that guys stuff!
    5. Sword of No Sword
    6. Karate Jitsu
    7. Secrets of the Samurai (don't laugh, I really liked it!)
    8. Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere
    9. Any Thing by Draeger (is that spelled correctly?)
    10. Karate The Art of the Empty Hand By: Nishiyama

Of course this list changes by the minute.

What do you like?
    R. Kite
    Budoka 34

-Yamaoka Tesshu

Likes (received)

Talking Interesting find

I just found a (new in the sleeve) early edition of Oscar and Ratti's "Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere" at a used book store!
    Only $12 U.S..
    While I didn't find this the easiest read the first time around, I love finding early editions, especially in new condition and in the sleeve!
    I guess I'll have to add it to my reread list.

Last edited by Budoka 34; 13th June 2002 at 13:39.
    R. Kite
    Budoka 34

-Yamaoka Tesshu

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast