Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Book Reviews Club

Likes (received)

I'm curious as to everyone's reaction to ZEN IN THE ART OF ARCHERY by Herrigel. It seems to me that it is much more popular with aikido and traditional jujitsu/aikijutsu practitioners than tkd and karate. The experiences (especially the misunderstandings) the German has with his kyudo sensei mirror some faux pas I was guilty of with a few of my Japanese sensei. The breathing and centering explanations are classic and the German's inability to understand why Sensei doesn't appreciate his "shortcuts" also struck close to home.

How do the others feel about this book? I think it's definitely worth reading but understand why many don't agree.

Likes (received)

Thumbs up Cool! I didn't know this was going on in here!

Like R. Kite, I am also devouring books. I just recently got several from Bugei..although all are not specifically martial, they all should help me further understand Japanese thought and culture. These include:

Shinto: The Kami Way

Sho: The Art of Calligraphy

One Hundred Poems from the Japanese

The Unfettered Mind

So far I've only read Shinto, and it is an excellent little book not only in better understanding the religion itself, but gives a few insights into Japanese thought as a whole. It is easy to understand and not dry at all, written by a professor of Shinto studies. It was only $4 or so brand new. Even if one was not particularly interested in Shinto, it still makes for interesting reading.

I liked Living the Martial Way, and agreed with most of it. I have a little different idea of what the definition of 'warrior' is, so his constant 'warrior this' and 'warrior that' irritated me just a bit, but overall a book much worth having.

My list of must-have's (changes every so often!)

1. "Comprehensive Asian Fighting Arts", by Draeger

2. "Code of the Samurai: a modern translation of the Bushido Shoshinshu of Taira Shigesuke", Cleary

3. "Martial Arts and Ways of Japan," which consists of three volumes: " Classical Bujitsu","Classical Budo," "Modern Bujitsu and Budo." by Draeger

4. "Japanese Swordsmanship: Technique & Practice", G. Warner and D.F. Draeger.

5. "Koryu Bujutsu", "Sword and Spirit", and "Keiko Shokon" by Meik and Diane Skoss

6. "Moving Toward Stillness", "Persimmon Wind", and everything else by Dave Lowry

7. "Go Rin No Sho" (Cleary Translation), Musashi Miyamoto

8. "Karate-Do: My Way of Life", Funakoshi

9. "Ideals of the Samurai", Wilson

10. "Living the Martial Way", Morgan

These aren't really in order, since the scopes and purposes of the books are a bit different. It's really hard to limit to ten and put them in order..so many good ones out there!

Maybe this little 'book club' should get it's own forum or subforum..I think it would be a good idea! Is Mr. Lindsey back from Japan yet?
    David F. Craik

Likes (received)

Wink 1!! Only one!!

Hi all.
    One that is most certainly worthy of the read is G. Cameron Hurst's 'The Armed Martial Arts of Japan"..It is an excellent book that has a little more information than the Draeger series and complements them well (IMHO..).
    Books more focused on Japanese History have become more a must read for me recently. Two off the top would have to be 'Japonius Tyrannus' by Jeroem Lamarrs (??)..An excellent history that follows the first of the three 'unifiers' of Japan, Oda Nobunaga, also it is suprising that so little has been written on the man before (In English anyway) as his role was a vital step for the following rulers to 'jump off'..Pity really, but one well corrected with the above book.
    The second would have to be Stephen Turnbull's most recent volume on the Korean invasions during Hideyoshi's reign. The title is 'Samurai Invasion' (Sounds like a film title I know..) and the book has excellent research (Although more Japanese sources could have been located perhaps?) and some photos of the 'Turtle ships' that really put the point in (Sorry.).
    All of the 'Koryu books' team have produced exceptional additions to the work started by Draeger and will hopefully continue the trend. All of Dave Lowry's work is so 'delicate' that it can make you weep (Try 'Persimmon Wind'...My favourite) at the same time as having a life to it that starts you thinking "I should be out TRAINING. NOT READING!!" and Dr. Friday's two published books 'The Legacies of the Sword' and 'Hired Swords' are both excellent insights into two very seperate but unified sections of the 'quilt' of Japanese budo..Worth the read certainly.
    Anything else comes up or to mind I will keep it posted here..And I second the vote for an extra forum for us booker-types!!
    Abayo.
    Ben Sharples.
    智は知恵、仁は思いやり、勇は勇気と説いています。

Likes (received)

Talking Welcome!

Welcome, Welcome, Welcome!
    If I would have know all we needed was a little advertisment I'd have done it long ago!
    I knew there had to be more martial bibliophiles.
    I'm gonna go broke trying to find all these titles! I can't wait!

David:
    I've found the same interest in all things Japanese. My collection is pretty eclectic, from ikibona to soba noodles, but I try to focus on the traditional Japanese/Okinawan martial arts and histories.

So, how do we go about getting our own forum?

Again, Welcome all!
    R. Kite
    Budoka 34
    "Study hard and all things can be accomplished; give up and you will amount to nothing".

-Yamaoka Tesshu

Likes (received)

I e-mailed John Lindsey after my last post asking about it. I think he might still be in Japan, so we might have to wait until his return. He may suggest that we just post individual book reviews in the forum to which the book pertains, but there are quite a few good books that aren't specific to a certain art, like Living the Martial Way already mentioned. I think it could be a real popular forum. If a moderator is needed, I'd be happy to do it 100 instant karma points for all book club members!! MWAHAHAAHAAA! J/K

David:
    I've found the same interest in all things Japanese. My collection is pretty eclectic, from ikibona to soba noodles, but I try to focus on the traditional Japanese/Okinawan martial arts and histories.
    Ah, a kindred soul! I've got all sorts of stuff..even if I don't actually practice a particular art, like Chado, for instance, I still like to read a bit about it. I focus on books on koryu, but will quickly be engrossed in pretty much anything Japanese, or Chinese for that matter.
    David F. Craik

Likes (received)

Hmmm, how to pick a few of the hundreds and hundred of books that have somehow found a home on my bookshelf (and closet, and floor and...). These days I generally tend to lean towards works on Japanese history or budo books in Japanese more than anything, but if I had to pick a few English budo books, I guess the following would be on my favorites list (in no particular order)...

- The Skoss "Koryu Trilogy"

- Draeger's Budo/jutsu trilogy

- "Kyudo" by Onuma and DeProspero (probably the best budo book ever written in my opinion)

- "Persimmon Wind" by Dave Lowry

- "Legacies of the Sword" by Karl Friday

- "Armed Martial Arts of Japan" by G. Cameron Hurst (has a few problems with the readings of names and such, but still worthwhile overall)

- "Okinawan Karate - Second Edition" by Mark Bishop

- "Bubishi - The Bible of Karate" trans. Patrick McCarthy

- various translations of old texts

Regarding "Zen and the Art of Archery", I recommend this article put out by the Japanese Journal of Religious Studies last year.
    The Myth of Zen in the Art of Archery (note - this is a pdf file)

Time to step away from the bookshelf before it sucks me in further...

Rennis Buchner

Likes (received)

Talking Korean Arts?

I found an interesting used Tae kwon do book this weekend. I'm trying to overcome a slight prejudice toward Korean arts so I bought it.
    It's titled "Advancing in Tae Kwon Do" by Richard Chun.
    Any one know it?

R. Kite
    Budoka 34
    "Study hard and all things can be accomplished; give up and you will amount to nothing".

-Yamaoka Tesshu

Likes (received)

Talking Oooooh Korea where the wind comes whipin cross the plains!

Wow! You mention Korean arts and everyone runs away!

Has everyone stopped reading?

I've bought several new (used) Aikido books but it seems the other arts have dried up around here.

Oh well, I'll keep looking.

p.s. A review of "Living the Martial Way" should be coming soon.

R. Kite
    Budoka 34

-Yamaoka Tesshu

Don Cunningham Guest

I know it's sort of self-promotion, but there is a very good review of my book, Secret Weapons of Jujutsu, now posted on Best Judo's web site at:

Secret Weapons of Jujutsu

You may also want to check out many of his other excellent reviews at:

Best Judo

Just a note, but the Charles Tuttle edition is now available in paperback at fine bookstores everywhere.

Likes (received)

Default Hey if it's good, It's good!

Don:
    Self-promotion aside, If it's a good book, It's a good book!

So far, the friends who have borrowed my copy have loved it!!!
    One of them actually went out and bought a copy!

R. Kite
    Budoka 34

-Yamaoka Tesshu

Likes (received)

This is a great idea - how did I miss it before?

My favorite books are, not really in any order:

"The Unfettered Mind", by Takuan Soho
    "The Judoka", by W.D. Norwood
    "Aikido Sketch Diary - Dojo 365 Days", by Gaku Homma
    "Sword and Brush", by Dave Lowry
    "Zen in the Martial Arts", by Joe Hyams
    "The book of five rings", the Overlook Press edition
    "Code of the Samurai", trans. by Thomas Cleary
    "Iron and Silk", by Mark Salzman
    "Random", a novel by Jay McInerney
    "Living the Martial Way", by Forrest Morgan

These are the general-subject books I could think of just sitting here. I have some technique-type books that I really enjoy, as well.

Thanks,

William Johnson

Likes (received)

Talking Welcome William!

William:
    Welcome!
    Tell us about those books.

My wife says if I buy anymore books she will have to build a bigger house.

I collect mostly martial arts, japanese history and culture.
    I have some Chinese and Korean arts, but Japan has my heart.

R. Kite
    Budoka 34

-Yamaoka Tesshu

Likes (received)

Let me see what I can tell you about these books - thanks for asking!

The Unfettered Mind by the Zen priest Takuan Soho (trans. by William Scott Wilson) is really a compilation of 2 letters and an essay by Takuan. The first letter is called "The mysterious record of immovable wisdom" and written to Yagyu Munenori, head of the Yagyu Shinkage ryu. The second part is called "The clear sound of jewels", which is an essay that talks about right-mindedness is daily life, and the third part is a letter that the introduction says was either written to Munenori or to Oto Tadaaki, head of the Itto ryu. Its a book that I've read easily over a hundred times (its short!), and usually accompanies me whenever possible

The Judoka by W.D. Norwood is part novel, part philosophy. It tells the story of a judoka who lives on a beach and plays judo, who meets a woman on the beach one day, and the conflicts they both undergo as a result of the meeting. (I'm making it sound much more dramatic than it really is.) Interspersed with the story is the author's views on judo, which are as interesting as the story. Unfortunately, I think its out of print - I found my copy through a used books dealer.

Aikido sketch diary is a great book written about the events and people at Nippon-Kan, an aikido dojo in Denver, Colorado. I remember reading this book for the first time and thinking, "This is the way a dojo should be!" Its very humorous, and has several funny line drawings, and the stories are all light and easy to read, but what I really enjoy about the book is that its all real - no overt philosophy but you can clearly feel it behind every story.

I'll write something about the others a little later.

Good reading!

William Johnson

Likes (received)

Wink Japanese History books...

Hi all.
    I have been reading books on the history of Japan most recently (Or as soon as I had finished reading 'Keiko Shokon' by Diane Skoss et al and 'Secret Weapons of Jujutsu' by Don...Excellent book as I had guessed. Thanks for the read Don. ) And thought that a summation of the ones I most liked seemed the thing to do..
    'Okagami' -Unknown author..A book that is an opus to the Fujiwara family and there reign at the height of Heian culture, told by two aged men at a priests recital and with great detail on the families origins and standing...Quite hard going though.
    'Pillow book of Sei Shonagon' -Trans. Ivan Morris. Great book for a 'snide' kind of a look at Heian attitudes and life...Shonagon seems quite a lady and some of her comments on suitors are straight COLD...a good book for women to read up on how to insult 'failing' men in their lives, and or men to finally work out just "what she meant last night"!!
    'Heike Monogatari' -Trans. H. McCullough. A true classic...Great story, great action and pretty good characters (Hehehe )...How anyone cannot have read this one I don't know..
    Following that 'Yoshitsune' -Trans. McCullough. A little more fanciful and with more detail on character than the 'Heike' but is worth looking at for the stories of the monk Benkei alone I think...
    'The tale of Genji' Trans. I. Morris. Again...a classic...The poems alone can win the girl of your dreams if you play them well and it is very good for 'escapism' into some kind of a dream world where cherry blossoms and snow mix with woodsmoke and rivers and relax the mind..One for the girls again also. (Sorry...NOT meaning to sound the way it does..My bad!)
    Lastly...Two history books that should be mandatory reading for all into Japan...The 'Kojiki' and the 'Nihon Shoki' (Or 'Nihongi') Both are histories of the birth of Japan and the time of the gods, from Izanami and Izanagi to Amaterasu no Omikami....Legends that are fundamental to many of the earlier Ryuha and their understanding of their 'place' in the world....Great reads both.
    On a sidenote...I loved 'Iron and silk' also...Written about the authors experiences in training in Chinese arts with some pretty remarkable Sifu...Quality book and one to read even if you really only like the Japanese arts...(Like me...).
    Has anyone read 'Angry White Pyjamas' by Robert Twigger...It's about his experiences in the Japanese Riot police and has some great stories about his training in the Taihojutsu and Aikido they used in workouts...a funny look at it and a 'lighter' read than all the other serious books..
    Keep on reading and writing peeps...
    Abayo
    Ben Sharples.
    智は知恵、仁は思いやり、勇は勇気と説いています。

Likes (received)

If you're the type person who keeps a dictionary nearby, you'll appreciate TUTTLE DICTIONARY OF THE MARTIAL ARTS OF KOREA, CHINA & JAPAN and Louis Frederic's DICTIONARY OF THE MARTIAL ARTS. While my primary focus is on Japanese grappling systems, I want to know about all styles regardless of the country of origin. These two reference sources have proven invaluable for filling in the numerous gaps in my knowledge.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast