Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Book Reviews Club

Likes (received)

Default "Old School"

Greetings,

I've been busy, but just finished the subject book by Mr. Amdur. Excellent!!!! I encourage all those who have a real interest in the arts of Japan to read it. He writes with no punches pulled and with authority on the essay subjects he chooses.

Regards,
    Tommyk
    Tom Militello
    Tom Militello
    "You can't hide on the mats." Terry Dobson sensei.

Likes (received)

Talking Great Find!!!!!!

After more than a year of searching I have found one of my "holy grail" books!

Doshin So's "Shorinji Kempo".

I found it at a price I could afford after a long search. This is the 1982 printing, supposedly in VG condition with dust jacket(G condition).
    Is anyone fimiliar with this book?

This and several Mas Oyama, Yamaguchi, and Hiagonna books are what I consider some of my best finds.

Now if I can find a copy of D. Craig's first Iai book and Mattson's Ueachiryu at prices I can afford the collection will be complete!

Any info on the "Shorinji Kempo" or any of the other titles would be greatly appreciated.

R. Kite
    Budoka 34
    "Study hard and all things can be accomplished; give up and you will amount to nothing".

-Yamaoka Tesshu

kenshorin Guest

Default Favorites in my library

A quick overview of the favorites in my library (a bunch have already been mentioned...):

"Living The Martial Way" - Morgan
    "Moving Zen..." - Nicol
    "Zen In The Martial Arts" - Hyams
    "A Book Of Five Rings" and "The Art Of War" - both classics, pick a translator / edition
    Anything Lowry

I'd also like to add "The Essence Of Okinawan Karate-Do" by Shoshin Nagamine. Although a lot is specific to matsubayashi-ryu, a lot of content in sections 3 - 5 is universal and very well written (and translated).

JohnRay Guest

Default Now for something a little different....

Hi folks, I have been following this thread with great interest. I have been acquiring books on budo since I began my studies in the late '60s..... and I agree with most of the recommended books.
    There is, however, one book that I have enjoyed more than any of the others. It is written by a true warrior, who has had to defend his life by his carefully honed martial skills. He is modest and knowledgable..... and his analysis of his technique is second to none. I know that he had to use his martial skills in life and death situations, and often, and always persevered. Finally, his attitude toward his training and toward the lethal results is deadly serious, but his humor and humanity come through in his writings.
    OK, well, I might be a little biased because I know he worked down here in Texas for a while..... and he trained dilligently on the aspect that I love, the "drawing and immediate use of his weapon."
    The book is "No Second Place Winner" and the author is William (Bill) Jordan, considered one of the fastest and most accurate pistol drawers in recent times.
    Check it out if you are lucky enough to find a copy.
    Gerry Brown, thank you for your gift of this fine book. I treasure it.

Thank you,
    John Ray

Likes (received)

Talking This is a must read!

I finally found time to read our own Ellis Amdur's "Old School".

This book falls into the "Must Read" category! Whether you have an interest in Koryu arts or gendai this book offers a powerful and insightful view of Japanese martial traditions.

With ever line, I more wished I could study each art discribed. Ellis's writing style draws the reader in, making it easy to become involved in what has in the past been presented in dry historical terms.

Every section of this book offers insight and/or information useful to the modern practitioner of the Japanese martial arts.

If I had one complaint, it would only be with the binding style of the book! I would love to see (and own!) this book in Hardback!

Ellis, Well Done!

R. Kite
    Budoka 34
    "Study hard and all things can be accomplished; give up and you will amount to nothing".

-Yamaoka Tesshu

Likes (received)

Default Echo

Greetings,

I echo Budoka 34's sentiments. The only flaw I have with the work is its unavailabliity in hardcover. By the way, "Dueling with O Sensei" is another of Mr. Amdur's works that also should be in hardcover. In short, a great read!!!

Regards,
    TommyK
    Tom Militello
    "You can't hide on the mats." Terry Dobson sensei.

Likes (received)

Default Hard Cover

TommyK, Randy -

Thanks for the good words on the book. I'd love to have a hardcover edition of each book - bigger size, so the photos could be displayed. Have a slight problem regarding inventory. I printed 3000 of Dueling, and recently 2000 of Old School. To date, have sold about 900 of Dueling and 200-300 (haven't totalled up the month yet) of Old School. So I've got a lot of boxes of books in the shed still. From what I hear, more than a few folks lend the book around to their friends until they fall apart, and then buy another. I would suggest that everyone try an alternative - now listen closely to my voice, you will find your eyes getting heavy, your hands heavy, the sword feels heavy in your hand (a little kanashibari here) - you want to buy lots of books - lots of books. Everything is so heavy, put down that sword, it's too heavy, there is only one thing you can lift - yes, it's your wallet. That credit card is so light, let it float, let the numbers waft on the whisper stream, let that money fly. Buy books, buy books for your family, buy books for your friends, buy books for everyone in your dojo and make them buy books too, buy books, buy books, buy books.

At the next sound in the room, you will awake - and you will know what you have to do.

BTW - I've still got the section here on e-budo on my books. Any and all are welcome if there are any questions, points of disagreement or discussion regarding info and opinion in the books. . . . .but to enter the discussions, you must do one thing. Listen to the sound of my voice . . . .your eyes are getting heavy . . .

Best

Ellis Amdur

Likes (received)

Default Re: Hard Cover

Originally posted by Ellis Amdur
    TommyK, Randy -

Thanks for the good words on the book. I'd love to have a hardcover edition of each book - bigger size, so the photos could be displayed. Have a slight problem regarding inventory. I printed 3000 of Dueling, and recently 2000 of Old School. To date, have sold about 900 of Dueling and 200-300 (haven't totalled up the month yet) of Old School. So I've got a lot of boxes of books in the shed still. From what I hear, more than a few folks lend the book around to their friends until they fall apart, and then buy another. I would suggest that everyone try an alternative - now listen closely to my voice, you will find your eyes getting heavy, your hands heavy, the sword feels heavy in your hand (a little kanashibari here) - you want to buy lots of books - lots of books. Everything is so heavy, put down that sword, it's too heavy, there is only one thing you can lift - yes, it's your wallet. That credit card is so light, let it float, let the numbers waft on the whisper stream, let that money fly. Buy books, buy books for your family, buy books for your friends, buy books for everyone in your dojo and make them buy books too, buy books, buy books, buy books.

At the next sound in the room, you will awake - and you will know what you have to do.

BTW - I've still got the section here on e-budo on my books. Any and all are welcome if there are any questions, points of disagreement or discussion regarding info and opinion in the books. . . . .but to enter the discussions, you must do one thing. Listen to the sound of my voice . . . .your eyes are getting heavy . . .

Best

Ellis Amdur
    Hello Ellis,

When we met at the Aiki Expo you kindly gave me a flier for "Old School", which, of course, I want to buy. However, as a result of bitter experience I am reluctant to send credit card details over the Internet and some of the credit card companies here in Japan actually tell customers not to do this. So, I usually send Stanley Pranin, for example, a fax or a telephone call, which is sufficient. Are you set up to receive credit card book orders by fax or telephone?

I was rather shocked to learn that you have sold only 900 copies of "Duelling with O Sensei", but I think it is long term seller, rather like a Bentley motor car: the quality is awesome but the fine details appeal to very few. And, of course, some of us still cherish the print copies of Aiki News / Aikido Journal...

Actually, my own feeling is that people are too uncritical of the books they cite in this thread. For example, I wonder how many English translations there are of the complete text of "Hagakure". I think there are none. Why? Because the full text is so turgid to read and there would be no point in reproducing all of Tsumemoto's meanderings in English. So, why would one need to read the "Hagakure" in connection with contemporary martial arts? As a piece of late Tokugawa history it is of great value (see the relevant sections of, e.g., Ikegami's "Taming the Samurai"), but as a comtemporary martial arts text it is of very limited value, in my opinion.

Best regards,
    Peter Goldsbury,
    Forum Administrator,
    Hiroshima, Japan

Likes (received)

Default Re: Re: Hard Cover

Originally posted by P Goldsbury
    Hello Ellis,

When we met at the Aiki Expo you kindly gave me a flier for "Old School", which, of course, I want to buy.
    At the Aiki Expo talking with Ellis

Now listen closely to my voice, you will find your eyes getting heavy, your hands heavy, the sword feels heavy in your hand - you want to buy lots of books - lots of books.
    George Kohler

Genbukan Kusakage dojo
    Dojo-cho

Likes (received)

So as not to hijack the thread, I'm going to copy the last couple of posts and reproduce them in the Old School Section. I'll reply to you, Peter, there.

Feel free to return to book reviews. On that note, recently read a book on Leavenworth called The Hot House: Life Inside Leavenworth Prison by Pete Earley. Earley was given literally free run to walk around, visit, etc. in the late 1980's and he, in detail, describes the life and times of five men in particular. Remarkable descriptions of unredeamable men - one, Terrible Tom Silverstein, has been in solitary confinement, in a cage, with the lights on 24-7 since the late eighties until today. He's murdered three people in prison, including a guard - since Earley, he has eye-contact with only guards, and no one will speak with him. There are reproductions of his art work on Earley's site - he is apparently a titan of a man, bearded to the waist, muscled like an Atlas, and somehow, not broken - in a way, somehow having achieved a kind of peace/enlightenment - over 20 years in solitary, without seeing the sun, the sky or even the dark, speaking to no one except by letters, and still not psychotic or otherwise crazy. AND, still an incredibly dangerous man whom one could not imagine releasing into society or even the general prison population. One speculates that the same will and paranoia that makes him so dangerous has somehow kept him intact . . . as a talented artist and caracturist - and a flame-triggered violent being.

Also, a wonderful passage on zanshin, applied to specific environments. " . . . two dudes busted in on this guy in the cell next to mine and stuck him twenty-six times with shanks. He was sitting on the crapper when they killed him, and he couldn't fight back becasue his pants were wrapped around his legs. Stupid bastard. Anyone who don't know better than to take a leg out of his pants in prison before he sits down on a toilet deserves to die. Something you learn in here."

Best

Ellis Amdur

L-Fitzgerald Guest

Default A few more from a library of over 300 titles

Jujitsu, Japan’s Ultimate Martial Art by Darrel Max Craig
    Charles E. Tuttle Co., Rutland, Vt.

Aikido, The Way of Harmony - Rinjiro Shirata & J. Stevens
    Shambhala Publications, Boulder, Co.

Aikido with Ki - Maruyama Koretoshi
    Ohara Publications, Burbank, Ca

Aikido, Sword ﷓ Stick ﷓ Body Arts - Saito Morihiro
    Minato Research & Publishing, Japan Trading Company, Tokyo, Japan

Volume I Basic Techniques
    Volume II Advanced Techniques
    Volume III Applied Techniques
    Volume IV Vital Techniques
    Volume V Training Works Wonders

Bushido, The Soul of Japan - Inazo Nitobe
    Charles E. Tuttle Co., Rutland, Vt.

Close Encounters - The Arresting Art of Taiho Jitsu, Kubota Takayuki
    Dragon Books, Westlake Village, Ca

Comprehensive Asian Fighting Arts - D.F. Draeger & R.W. Smith
    Kodansha International, New York, N.Y.

I'll be happy to forward the full list to anyone that requests it. It runs to 22 pages, and was developed over 25 years ago. However, not all are MA books, they also include works dealing with Oriental art, culture and Japanese language

Enjoy

L Fitzgerald

Likes (received)

Talking Brother!

L:

We are kindred spirits!

I have most of the titles on your (short) list.

I am focussing on out of print titles now, like D. Craigs "Center of the Circle" and "Iai-Jutsu/The Art of Japanese Swordsmanship" and George Mattson's "Uechiryu Karate Do".

That doesn't mean I'll pass on great current titles, like Ellis Amdur's "Old School" and "Dueling with O-Sensei", or Dave Lowry's "Traditions".

It seems, the more I read, the more I train! So I'm buying and reading anything that seems worth while.

If you have any reviews you'd like to post, we are more than interested in seeing them.

R. Kite
    Budoka 34

-Yamaoka Tesshu

Likes (received)

Default :nw:

Sirs,

My must read martial arts books:
    - Living The Martial Way
    - Moving Zen
    - Autumn Lightning
    - Dueling with O-Sensei
    - Ninpo: Wisdom for Life
    - Zen and the Martial Arts
    - The Book of Five Rings (By Nihon Services)
    - Way of the Peaceful Warrior (fictional)

And the article "Koryu Meets the West" by Ellis Amdur (appears
    in "Koryu Bujutsu: Classical Warrior Traditions of Japan" Edited by
    Diane Skoss, Published by Koryu Books). I think that this article
    but Mr Amdur on my radar screen. I can never recommend it enough.

- Joe
    Joe Maurantonio, Shidoshi
    Bujinkan New York Dojo
    Ninpo: Wisdom For Life (Editor)

Likes (received)

Talking Good read!

Joe:

Thanks for the list.

I've also become an Ellis Amdur "fan".

I'm in the process of rereading "Old School" and then I will start on "Dueling with O-Sensei".

R. Kite
    Budoka 34

-Yamaoka Tesshu

nelsonl02 Guest

Default Illuminated Spirit

I have read most of the books mentioned in these threads and there are definitely some great works.
    A few years ago, I received a copy of Illuminated Spirit - Conversations with a Kyudo Master. This is a small book that can be read in a day. Essentially a book on everyday life from the perspective of a 33rd generation master - very enjoyable reading and seldom mentioned.
    Another that I recommend but may be extremely hard to find is:
    Quintessence of Japanese Classical Martial Arts (Historical & Philosophical Perspectives) by Dr. Tesshin Hamada of Old Dominion University
    NelsonL.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast