Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Book Reviews Club

stevemcgee99 Guest

Default Amdur and others

I read a post by Toby Threadgill on another forum about Old School. I'm going to read it for sure.

I recently read The Sword of No Sword by Stevens, about Tesshu. I'm with budoka34, reading stuff like that makes me want to train harder. I highly recommend reading about this ultra-badass from the restoration.

Speaking of which, anyone recommend Ryoma (somewhat recent publication, I think)?

I really liked Aikido for Life, by Homma. Read it for whatever reason; I recommend it for beginners or teachers of aikido. Homma has a great approach.

Likes (received)

Thumbs up 'Ryoma' and others...

Hi all..
    More to add:
    Because it was asked about...I would certainly recommend 'Ryoma' by Romulus Hillsborough (Sp.???). I would also suggest a read of his other book 'Samurai Sketches'..I may have done before but can't see it so here it is.
    Also (Via Mrs Skoss at Koryu.com) I have just finished 'Across the Nightingale floor' by Lian Hearn and have to agree with most everyone else I have heard on it...It is an excellent book. Well-researched and thought up, blending feudal Japan into a kind of 'Narnia' I think makes a good change and as there are two more follow ups to the first book it promises an 'epic' in the making. (Besides..I am making a determined effort to shy away from certain bespectacled young kids casting spells in 'other books'....Guess who?.... )
    I loved the book and seriously want more...How I don't know but look forward to its sequel..
    Will keep this up...
    Abayo...
    Ben Sharples.
    智は知恵、仁は思いやり、勇は勇気と説いています。

chrisdo14 Guest

Thumbs up my favorites

these are my personal favorite books so far i hope to acquire and read many more.
    (not in order of greatest to least favorite or in order at all)
    1. aikido and the dynamic sphere
    2. living the martial way
    3. budo secrets(a compilation of stories and essays)
    4. anything by bruce lee(unfortunately i havent read all his work
    5. anything by loren christensen(he has so many ways to spice up your training.)
    6. the book of five rings
    7. the art of war
    8. ultimate fitness through martial arts
    9. fighting science
    10.combat strategy
    11.the art of throwing,the art of striking, the art of holding etc(unfortunately i cant recall the authors name or i would have made a point of writing it down.)
    12.And a non martial art personal all time favorite the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy series by douglas adams.

c. abounayan

Likes (received)

I just bought and read Budo Secrets, by Stevens, and have to agree with Chris that it's a wonderful read. I especially enjoyed the anecdotes at the end.
    David F. Craik

Likes (received)

Talking So many books so little time........................

Sorry I have not been posting as much as promised. As so frequently happens, my hobbies have become full time obsessions.

I'm currently trying to find time to finish Ellis Amdur's "Dueling with O-Sensei".
    Short of David Lowrey, I can't think of another martial arts writer who can so easily lead the reader to see, hear, and feel the experiences he transmits to paper. Ellis's writings in "Dueling" are eloquent and salient. I'm sure I'll be reviewing this material for my own teaching for years to come.

R. Kite
    Budoka 34
    "Study hard and all things can be accomplished; give up and you will amount to nothing".

-Yamaoka Tesshu

TPWalling Guest

Default Any thoughts on these books?

Hello everyone . . .
    I've been folowing this book talk and I thought I would throw in my two cents. I am reading LIVING THE MARTIAL WAY by Forrest E. Morgan. I would be interested in anyone's opinion on THE WAY OF AIKIDO by George Leonard. I enjoyed this book a great deal.

T.P. Walling

Likes (received)

Wink Hmmmmmm more books for me!

T.P.,

I'll have to check it ("The Way of Aikido") out and get back to you.
    As to "Living the Martial Way", I thought it was a great read and that it is a shame that more Budoka don't take the ideas presented there to heart.
    We all study for our own reasons.

I'm about twenty titles behind right now.

Maybe if I stop training and just read!

Naaaaaw!

R. Kite
    Budoka 34
    "Study hard and all things can be accomplished; give up and you will amount to nothing".

-Yamaoka Tesshu

Likes (received)

I also like Kato Kiyomasa's writings...quote "any samurai caught country dancing or any other non martial pursuit will be ordered to commit seppuku"...makes you wish the guy who invented line dancing was a samurai.
    Go rin no sho,Otake sensei's books on katori shinto ryu, Iwata sensei's books on MJER, and some of Suino's stuff isn't bad either!
    I'm quite lucky, my friend runs a MA book shop so I get to see all the new releases as well as some of the more obscure old books... Northumbrian wrestling from 1860 would make your eyes water...

Tim Hamilton
    Tim Hamilton

Why are you reading this instead of being out training? No excuses accepted...

Likes (received)

Default Oh you lucky..................

Tim,

What a great/lucky position to be in! I spend about two hours a day online looking for the rare titles(at the right price) and another five or six hours a week in the local used book stores.

But I'm not obsessed or anything!

I've recently taken to ordering form the UK and the continent. You seem to have alot of great stuff over there.

R. Kite
    Budoka 34

-Yamaoka Tesshu

Likes (received)

This guy's house is wall to wall MA books, its amazing! Some stuff he wont sell, like really old Japanese language kendo and karate books, but he set away after he was made redundant. He can't be far off having the largest collection in Europe.
    Send two 27 pence stamps for his latest booklist, its worth it... two catalogues at about 50 pages, with about 15 books per page...
    His address is J. Sparkes, 27 Berkely road, Darlington, County Durham, DL1 5ED

I cant believe I'm advertising this, he should be doing it himself!!!

Tim Hamilton
    Tim Hamilton

Why are you reading this instead of being out training? No excuses accepted...

Likes (received)

Default You a good man!

Tim,

You're just a good man!(free advertising)

I'll have to send for that list.

BTW: I finally found a copy of "What is Shorinji Kempo".

Now my Doshin So (Shorinji Kempo) section is complete!

Let the collecting continue.

R. Kite
    Budoka 34

-Yamaoka Tesshu

Likes (received)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by William
    [B]"Random" one of the books I listed earlier, is by Jay McInerney, the same guy who wrote "Bright Lights, Big City" and others dealing with the excesses of the 80's yuppies.

I absolutely enjoyed reading this book. It was a quick read but one whose style painted clear scenes in the imagination. I thought the book was titled "Ransom". I lost my copy but could have sworn by the title.

Regards to all.
    Stephen Baker

"Never cruel nor cowardly, never give up, never give in." Doctor Who

Likes (received)

Default Great List

M. Skoss has a list of his recs on the Koryobooks.com website. He is clear on his opinions and I found his list extremely valuable. I admit up front to not having enough hard years of experience to make tachnical comments but I got quite a bit out of starting to read his suggested titles.

Regards
    Stephen Baker

"Never cruel nor cowardly, never give up, never give in." Doctor Who

Likes (received)

Talking found today!

Oh joy of joys!

I found a copy of Mas Oyama's "This is Karate" today at a local used book store. It is a first edition(revised) in very good condition with a good+ dust jacket.

My list of wanted books grows shorter by the day, much to the dismay of my wife.

Has anyone "in the know" read "Kamimoto-Ha Techniques of Muso Shinden Ryu" by Richard Babin.

I recieved my copy a week or so ago and it seems very complete, but not being a student of the JSA I can't really speak on the subject matter.

Anyone?

R. Kite
    Budoka 34

-Yamaoka Tesshu

Likes (received)

Default Oyama's Karate School

A friend of mine got me this one. Its a great book written by Oyama Sensei.
    Prince Loeffler
    Shugyokan Dojo

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast