Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Faster than any kick or punch

mushinmaster Guest

Default Faster than any kick or punch

What type of training do you use to become faster than any kick or punch?

Likes (received)

Sinanju
    Ed Boyd

Bustillo, A. Guest

mushinmaster Guest

Wow. You guys are worse than me. Everyone says I take things too literally, lol. What I mean is, what exercises do you do to work on your defense - evasion, body movement, parrying, blocking - so that you can use these tactics to sucessfully avoid getting hit?

exercises to learn timing and rythm and whatnot???

Do you worry about this?

Likes (received)

I depend on overwhelming my potential opponent with an air of impending violence beyond comprehension. I back it up with being very large, reminding many people of a sudden wall of really pissed off white guy standing in front of them.

If all else fails, quickly direct their attention away from you and either run away or hit them in the back of the head.

Harvey Moul

Fish and visitors stink after three days - Ben Franklin

mushinmaster Guest

yeah dude, that's the main strategy where I train.

Hit first and hit hard.

That's why I started this thread, lol. Gotta be good at offense and defense...

Khahan Guest

Default prepatory arts

My art, by nature is a prepatory art. We use our own body positioning to dictate what others will throw, to dictate where they will throw it and how they will throw it.
    At the same time, you can read their body language to figure out when they will throw it and if they are going to do what you are trying to get them to do.
    Actually anybody can do this, you just have to know what to look for.

kusanku Guest

Look! A UFO! 'Wham."

Bustillo, A. Guest

Greg Hoover,

You mentioned, that your system teaches; 'you use your body positioning to dictate what they throw and how they throw it...'

Please explain what on earth you are talking about. At times , if the opponent telegraphs, yes, we can pick off and intercept, attacks.

Aside from that what did 'Robert Houdin' teach in that system of yours.

www.SteadyTraining.com

Likes (received)

Talking Interesting question?

We do a lot of Tai Sabaki and interception drills. I prefer to turn every blocking motion into a counter or multiple counters when possible. I work on developing flow from one technique to the next, each setting the opponent up for the next. I also enjoy blending drills similar to those found in Aikido, just alot more atemi!

Oh yea, don't forget lots of Plyometrics for speed and explosive power!

R. Kite
    Budoka 34
    "Study hard and all things can be accomplished; give up and you will amount to nothing".

-Yamaoka Tesshu

Likes (received)

I use timing - it is called pre-emptive first strike!

You can "lead" (not 'force') someone to attack in a predictable way by leaving a hole in your defenses that is a trap. Most styles teach this, most students learn this, very few can do this when adrenalized.

(I never know if we are talking sparring or fighting, )
    "Fear, not compassion, restrains the wicked."

Khahan Guest

Antohy,
    I think Sochin put it better when he said you can lead somebody rather than force somebody.
    But yes, as mentioned above, by using body posturing and 'giving' openings, you can lead your opponent to, at the very least, go for more specific areas of your body.
    Sagasuhito,
    What if a heated discussion turns to someone going for your throat
    This is the perfect time to use the prepatory arts. If you know/think the person is going to go for your throat, like in a choke, the drop your chin some and make the throat a smaller less likely target. When you do this, realize that movement puts your nose out there. This means your nose is sticking out which is more likely to attract your opponents attention (on a sub-concsious level) so you can be prepared for an attack at the nose.
    You are strong from the right side? Turn your body so your right leg and arm are more forward.
    The guy is left handed? (you saw him drinking w/ his left hand, reaching in his pocket w/ his left hand maybe?) so you position yourself in a spot that makes his left side more difficult to use.
    None of this stuff is garaunteed, but it gives you that much more of an edge.
    Now the time comes to actually throw down. How is a punch thrown? Most people actually put their opposite hand forward, if even for a split second so they can draw it back when the extend their punching hand. Right there, you see that opposing hand extend out, you act.
    This brings us back to the original question. YOu may not be physically faster than your opponent, but if you know what to look for, you can certainly appear faster.

mushinmaster Guest

so specifically what exercises do you guys do to develop these responses?

kusanku Guest

Originally posted by Sagasuhito
    Kusanku (Good One UFO)

How about your shoes untied hiza geri.

In regards to the prepatory art are you able to Posture yourself in a postion at all times? What if a heated discussion turns to someone going for your throat? I agree we can at times position ourselves into making others throw techniques or attacks we can easily see, feel and counter but to rely solely on this is kinda dangerous?

Regards

Mike Mitchell
    Hi Mike, yes, that one you mention is also good.As to preparatory art, I realize you are asking the other guy, I wanted to say that in close, it is impossible to block a fast jab or sucker punch unless you are 'set, ' and even then they get you most of the time.

Control of distance is vital, in self defense, I will first step away to get distance if possible.If not, I put both hands up fast, open palms out, to intercept whatever is coming and turn hips sideways to avoid the kicks, and knees bend slightly, but really, if you can you should make angle and distance, a priority, forty five degrees and ten feet away is good,,then you can block what they come with, and counter.

When you step get your hands up, general proinciple, two hands block better than one, use a whuffle ball and throw it at face and stomach of trainee to get speed in defense.

Now,what if you can't get distance, and don't wat to strike at beginning, here's what:If the person steps across a line that would enable him to hit you in one more step, and he is coming to hurt you, and you can't at the same time step to angle in close, or away to angle or dside, or finally, back (in would measny you attack him back, which might not be a bad idea), but if he crosses that line, you don't wait for his attack, you then hit him.That is: He is attacking and he comes in, he gets to the place where with one more step he is on you, you hit him now.Or kick, or whatever the move is gonna be.

Otherwise, he may be faster than you.Self defense, is not sa gunfight where you wait until he draws and beat him. Neither for that matter is sparring, if you don't know opponent, assume he is faster and better.He gets close enough to where with one more step he is ranged to hit you, hit him.This is not legal advice, it may get you in trouble, but its meant to say that if your life or safety is endangered, this is the last distance you have to intercept with certainty an attacker before he destroys you.

In close, we can all be hit, and can all hit.Look at Boxers.Who never gets hit?Besides the guy that ko's the opponent with his first punch, and punches first.Oh.

mushinmaster Guest

Originally posted by Sochin
    (I never know if we are talking sparring or fighting, )
    I'm definatly talkinga bout fighting!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast