Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Jinja in the US?

Likes (received)

Question Jinja in the US?

Are there many jinja in the US? I know of one in Washington that may be perhaps the only one with a 'gaijin' head priest. But what about other jinja, gaijin-run or not? Is there some official index of them kept either in the US or in Japan?

I'd be surprised to hear that there aren't any others than the one I mentioned, mostly since I see them filling an important role in any large Japanese community, as is found in Honolulu, L.A., San Francisco, Seattle, etc.

I'd like to learn a little more about 'shrine' Shinto practices (as opposed to 'family' Shinto traditions at home) in an everyday sense, and I figure the best way to do that would be to find a jinja and start attending, then once noticed ingratiate myself with the priests and ask questions. I'm unlikely to find one in Alaska, but I'm thinking of moving in the next few years and maybe I'll end up in a city where I can find one.
    James A. Crippen

Likes (received)

And besides, I wanted to wake up this forum. ^_^
    James A. Crippen

mrmonkey Guest

here is a description of rites.

http://www.jinja.or.jp/english/s-4d.html

There seem to be no real services like in Pure Land Buddhism.

I watched part of an arranged marriage at HonganTemple in Tsukiji and the aftermath of three marriages, apparently among people who already knew, and liked, if not loved each other at Meiji Jingu(Emporer Meiji's Deification Place), during my last trip.

The Shinto stuff looked much more fun.

From friends and reading I gather Shinto is for Birth, Blessings and Marriage and Buddhism is for Attonement, and Death.

Likes (received)

Default Wakin up the forum again

I recently finished the book Shinto: The Kami Way, by Sokyo Ono, and it was very good, with descriptions of shrine practices and rituals, as well as quite a bit of info on Shinto in general. It is an inexpensive and easy to read little book..very interesting.

For information on jinja in the U.S., I recommend that you contact Rev. Yukihiko Tsumura, of Tsubaki America , which is an organization dedicated to interfaith understanding, as well as to Shinto in the United States.
    As an aside, they apparently have built a shrine in Washington State, having relocated from Stockton, Ca. Rev. Yukihiko's e-mail is tsubaki@ix.netcom.com.

Hope this helps.
    David F. Craik